AFL Autopsy JLT 2: 28 point loss to Geelong

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
There could be some truth in that and what people might have forgotten is that Woosha has never liked going hard during preseason games.

What does it have to do with attack on the ball though?

What do you do, tell players not to have a crack?

I think people really misjudge the modern day pre season series. It’s two games now, right on the eve of the system. It’s not “go easy” or experimentation time imo. It’s all systems go. It had to be, you can’t just flick a switch. The players have to build into the season both physically and in terms of gameplan, you’re not going to just switch that off for two weeks before the season for the JLT series.

Apr 11, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Iggles, Georgia.
Play smak

giphy.gif

Dec 18, 2007
Counting premiership cups
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Non that play Essendon

I think people really misjudge the modern day pre season series. It’s two games now, right on the eve of the system. It’s not “go easy” or experimentation time imo. It’s all systems go. It had to be, you can’t just flick a switch. The players have to build into the season both physically and in terms of gameplan, you’re not going to just switch that off for two weeks before the season for the JLT series.

I thought we would see a more attacking style of play with the new 6-6-6 rule and its a worry that we didn't so maybe I am clutching at straws however on the other hand we have guys like Merrett and Hepp being eased into it.

BuffDog

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Few random thoughts on the ol JLT

- we played Carlton at Ikon and Geelong at KP. We were always going to be up against it playing at our opponents training grounds. Geelong at KP will usually beat any team and we have no history of playing there. It’s a hard ground to implement or even show our game style and I’m confident we’d be a better team at Marvel and the MCG.

- I felt we definitely looked better with Bellchambers in the ruck and while it certainly wasn’t a strength we did manage a few good clearances.

- Geelong players ran harder than us (killed us in the uncontested possessions) and had too much space after winning the clearence. I’d hope this is an effort issue that will be rectified by round 1.

- uncontested Marks, inside 50’s and marks inside 50 welllllll down on last years averages. Not sure what’s going on here ?

- Daniher looks uninhibited by his injury thankfully

- Not sure Brown will serve us as the second key forward. I’d much prefer Mckernan.

- No Hooker will hurt with the ease of centre clearances now as he is our best intercept marker. Will be crucial to win the games we should while he is out (saints, lions and hopefully north)

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon

Plenty of top teams over the years looked less than impressive in preseason games and still come good rd 1,2,3

Even Tigers we’re looking a bit flat last week..heat or no heat ...they weren’t playing there usually disciplined hard nut footy.

Let’s see what the boys do vs Giants in a couple of weeks. If they look flat and disorganised then we’ll all have something to complain about with good reason.

Went off his line, umps were all over it all night. Not saying I entirely agree with it but thats how they have been interpreting play on in all the JLT's I've watched so far, no leeway for the player with the ball.

went off his line? They should have called play on against every player if that is considered going off your line. It was a s**t call.

There’s nothing like some lovable, lighthearted, sarcasm to ease the inevitable nervousness of the pending season.

We’re all on edge. By the end of round one it’s either pitchforks ready to stab and slay or unicorns and rainbows in the sky.

It’s a brutal game.
You think this is sarcasm?

Mar 11, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
You think this is sarcasm?

I assumed. But how the hell can one read anyone’s true meaning on this crazy forum? It’s a cosmic soup of positive and negative opinions mixed with smart arse comments and satire.

It’s hard to decipher half the time.

I’ve had some Friday afternoon wild turkeys so I’m reading all things bright and shiny.

I assumed. But how the hell can one read anyone’s true meaning on this crazy forum? It’s a cosmic soup of positive and negative opinions mixed with smart arse comments and satire.

It’s hard to decipher half the time.

I’ve had some Friday afternoon wild turkeys so I’m reading all things bright and shiny.
Nah, I half watched the game last night and we had our toe in and that was it. No need to freak out yet.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
All good & well to dismiss both games as praccies, but to me all I’m seeing is the same high octane, high risk game that gets us nowhere.
Both Carlton & Geelong set up far more organised around stoppages & bullied us into chasing arse between the arcs for the most part.

I’ve also got some serious questions about Langford, Parish & Zaka. All 3 just to default to be being reactive footballers & have no intent to hunt & create. As for Myers, he’s so far off being AFL standard it’s a joke. A slow crab, who applies zero pressure without the ball is a liability....we wonder why we can’t control the game between the arcs carrying the aforementioned. All 4 would be struggling to play round 1 for mine.

We also looked vulnerable down back without Hooker. Ambrose & Hurley are barely keeping their head’s above water. Thankfully we’ve got Ridley & Francis to shore us up in the air now.

Some may see it as an overreaction, I see it a continuation from last year.
Phew! At least we get to continue on with our outstanding form late last season.

hurlygurdy

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Rehashing what someone else said, but most people don't seem to be looking at TOG. Parish played less than half the game for 14 touches. Not saying he played well but surely that is significant? To put that into perspective, some have lumped him with Guelfi who almost played the full game for similar impact.
Langford and Myers both played just over half the game so it's not surprising their impact was limited. In fact Langford was on track for 25+ touches if he had played a full game and regardless of what he looked like out there i seriously doubt he would have copped the flack that he has had on this board if that were the case.
Smith is one who according to the stats was off the boil, but he seems to have a free pass on this board? 70% game time for 15 touches with 4 tackles? That's not up to his usual standards.
The interesting thing to take away from the preseason is that we made no effort to cement anything in our midfield. It was expected that we would take that sort of approach this year so perhaps the logic is that the players need to get used to the constantly changing mix.
At any rate we really didn't get a look at our most likely mix at all. Heppell 65%TOG, Merrett 59%, Parish 46%, Langford 54%.

Rehashing what someone else said, but most people don't seem to be looking at TOG. Parish played less than half the game for 14 touches. Not saying he played well but surely that is significant? To put that into perspective, some have lumped him with Guelfi who almost played the full game for similar impact.
Langford and Myers both played just over half the game so it's not surprising their impact was limited. In fact Langford was on track for 25+ touches if he had played a full game and regardless of what he looked like out there i seriously doubt he would have copped the flack that he has had on this board if that were the case.
Smith is one who according to the stats was off the boil, but he seems to have a free pass on this board? 70% game time for 15 touches with 4 tackles? That's not up to his usual standards.
The interesting thing to take away from the preseason is that we made no effort to cement anything in our midfield. It was expected that we would take that sort of approach this year so perhaps the logic is that the players need to get used to the constantly changing mix.
At any rate we really didn't get a look at our most likely mix at all. Heppell 65%TOG, Merrett 59%, Parish 46%, Langford 54%.

Has been the case over both games so it is a bit hard to get a real read on the form.

All I will say is I thought we where not good enough around the contest in both games. Positioning was average and we still have 3 blokes charging into the contest leaving the opposition free on the outer 5m and 10m of the contest. To be honest I am not expecting a lot more than last season. 12 or 13 wins.

Back