Traded Tom Scully [traded to Hawthorn for a future fourth round pick]

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
It's a strange debate really. The pick he was drafted at became irrelevant the very next day. He's had, relatively, a very good career and he's now hoping to recover from a horrible injury. The way I see it is this:

Scully gets a fresh start with more runway regarding his risk profile being at a new club.

Hawthorn hope he'll come good but for what they paid for him if he does it's pure profit as they got him virtually for free; therefore if he doesn't there's zero actual downside (Mitchell's injury irrelevant to this equation).

GWS passed on a risky portfolio and created room for a stronger negotiating position with Essendon and clubs coming this years for Kelly and Coniglio.

Trolls might think thats Essendon lost out but to my mind 2 first rounders is a fair price for a highly rated asset that has conditions around the trade (contracted), and ultimately they got the hottest blue chip stock on the market, just not under valued.

As far as I can see this trade was as close to win/win as any you'll ever see, and frankly good luck to Scully who by all accounts is a good guy with his head screwed on right

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
The only downside is how much salary cap space he takes up. He's a 3 year x $500k prospect which is still decent money under the current salary cap limit. Given the price paid at the trade table he's basically like picking up a free agent which softens that. It's not without risk but the risk is manageable. If he was still on his original GWS deal or costing a top 20 pick coming off a serious injury I reckon all clubs would balk.

coniglio_number1

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2011
pannawonica
AFL Club
GWS
Scully at his best is one of the very best wingmen in the competition. I have no idea what was discussed behind closed doors but clearly the club prefers to spend his salary towards retaining the likes of Kelly and cogs and we have cheaper younger wing options that aren’t at scullys level but have the potential. Hawks have a history of getting the best out of players with injury histories and the trade reflects the risk involved. I hope to see Scully flying again as a fit and firing Scully is great for the sport

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Has returned to match sim already, on track for an earlier return than originally expected.

What type of match sim is he doing? The AFL fluff piece about him and Birchall said he rejoined ball work which is vague at best. What are your track watchers saying?

He only just started running again recently right? I highly doubt the Hawks are chucking him into situations where he has to move laterally on that ankle too much.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
What type of match sim is he doing? The AFL fluff piece about him and Birchall said he rejoined ball work which is vague at best. What are your track watchers saying?

He only just started running again recently right? I highly doubt the Hawks are chucking him into situations where he has to move laterally on that ankle too much.
This is from TheFourPillars one of our training watchers

"As I mentioned both Birch and Scully were out there doing everything and part of the intra.
Scully lined up on Smithy at the first bounce how bloody marvelous. You couldn't write the script but at the first bounce the ball is kicked forward and birch runs onto it alas 2 years out of the game meant he got caught with it. Warmed into the game with his trademark run and disposal. So bloody good to see him out there. Scully running around at full pace kicking and delivering the ball."

Sounds like full on match simulation.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Watch the melts come when Scully lines up on the opposing wing to Smith, they'll make the best one-two punch in the league.

It'll be almost as funny as all the hate here on this thread, talk about headf***ed.

Mar 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tassie Devils
One of the principal driving motivations behind Essendon's ensuing saga, I'd have thought.....History & human psychology are not your strong suites then.
hey in 2012 hawthorn most likely was doing a bit of head*******, whereas today you are completely irrelevant. its cute you think anyone's is worried enough about you anymore to get head*ed

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
hey in 2012 hawthorn most likely was doing a bit of head*******, whereas today you are completely irrelevant. its cute you think anyone's is worried enough about you anymore to get head****ed

And yet, as irrelevant as we have apparently become, we still managed to finish above the Bombers & make finals last year.

Feb 24, 2013
The GoldenBrown Heart of Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man Utd Green Bay Melb Storm
is he close to playing?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Likely won't see him before mid-seson I'd imagine.....Just started full-training now & match simulation, so needs to get through those first without his ankle flaring-up.....Still plenty of hurdles to jump as yet.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Fascinated to see if this trade sets any precedent. Injuries aside, giving away good players for nothing just isn't a thing in the AFL. Teams are pretty conservative with their trading. NicNat did his knee in 2016 and again in 2018 while on a pretty decent contract (~$800k p.a. IIRC) but there's no way we'd trade him for pick 57 to get his contract off the books, clubs just don't think like that. Somewhere like the NBA on the other hand (where you can trade contracted players wherever you want) underperforming guys on big money are offloaded all the time. Clubs hold onto where players were drafted and how much they are paid too much.

Jul 16, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Fascinated to see if this trade sets any precedent. Injuries aside, giving away good players for nothing just isn't a thing in the AFL. Teams are pretty conservative with their trading. NicNat did his knee in 2016 and again in 2018 while on a pretty decent contract (~$800k p.a. IIRC) but there's no way we'd trade him for pick 57 to get his contract off the books, clubs just don't think like that. Somewhere like the NBA on the other hand (where you can trade contracted players wherever you want) underperforming guys on big money are offloaded all the time. Clubs hold onto where players were drafted and how much they are paid too much.

It was a win-win trade.

It is only salty Melbourne fans and obsessed Essendon fans making complaints.

GWS wanted his salary gone and did not think he would get up.

Hawthorn backed themselves in and his salary won't hurt them in the long run.

If he does not play Hawthorn have lost nothing. If he comes good, even if it takes till 2020 then Hawthorn gain something huge.

TallyHawk

Premiership Player
Jun 12, 2010
Bunbartha
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City FC
It was a win-win trade.

It is only salty Melbourne fans and obsessed Essendon fans making complaints.

GWS wanted his salary gone and did not think he would get up.

Hawthorn backed themselves in and his salary won't hurt them in the long run.

If he does not play Hawthorn have lost nothing. If he comes good, even if it takes till 2020 then Hawthorn gain something huge.

There is another angle, it might've created enough cap space for Giants to sign Coniglio/Himmelberg. We may have shot ourselves in the foot.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back