Oppo Camp Jono Marsh has been signed by the Saints

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
The issue I see is that no one else wanted him at the draft so why should we? How does he fit our list needs?

A quality key defender is probably our biggest list need. He'd be battling it out in a large group of not quite right types for the role. Goldy too short, Roughead too cumbersome, Madgen too small, Kelly too inexperienced, Marsh a crap kick. He has a combination of size, speed and a small (perhaps not enough?) sample that he can play at the level which I reckon makes him an intriguing option. But honestly I reckon we've moved past the bad old days of terrible kicks in the back half.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
What’s the word on the street?

I haven't heard anything recently but he was pretty scathing about the the clubs player welfare department on his way out the door.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
A quality key defender is probably our biggest list need. He'd be battling it out in a large group of not quite right types for the role. Goldy too short, Roughead too cumbersome, Madgen too small, Kelly too inexperienced, Marsh a crap kick. He has a combination of size, speed and a small (perhaps not enough?) sample that he can play at the level which I reckon makes him an intriguing option. But honestly I reckon we've moved past the bad old days of terrible kicks in the back half.
Have you forgotten Moore? Unless he succumbs to injury, he will be our CHB. That leave a bit of a hole at FB until Dunn returns to the side. Whoever plays there in the meantime will not quite fit the precise needs of the position. Unfortunately Marsh's poor disposal is always going to count against him in such a significant role. Maybe he would make good insurance and might be preferable to someone like Madgen. Goldsack is probably the best short term option. But as you say, it's the one position where we appear a little deficient and Marsh doesn't slot neatly enough into a FB role.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't heard anything recently but he was pretty scathing about the the clubs player welfare department on his way out the door.

I can't imagine too many people who feel so terrible they have to leave their jobs would be praising of the welfare team, which is why I'd be surprised if Collingwood was his 1st choice to come back to... Might have some bad memories here

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I can't imagine too many people who feel so terrible they have to leave their jobs would be praising of the welfare team, which is why I'd be surprised if Collingwood was his 1st choice to come back to... Might have some bad memories here

If he wants to come back midseason hes not going to have much choice who he plays for. Put his hand up at the end of 2018 and there were no bites.

Assuming Collingwood delists Murrray then Collingwood will have a vacancy.\....assuming they even want him which is arguable.

I'd be interested to know how many other clubs have room to pick up a player under the new rules.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Have you forgotten Moore? Unless he succumbs to injury, he will be our CHB. That leave a bit of a hole at FB until Dunn returns to the side. Whoever plays there in the meantime will not quite fit the precise needs of the position. Unfortunately Marsh's poor disposal is always going to count against him in such a significant role. Maybe he would make good insurance and might be preferable to someone like Madgen. Goldsack is probably the best short term option. But as you say, it's the one position where we appear a little deficient and Marsh doesn't slot neatly enough into a FB role.

I reckon Marsh would slot in fine at full back if you are happy to accept he is a poor kick. I wouldn't be happy with that but his other playing qualities measure up.

I haven't forgotten Moore nor Dunn. You need two key defenders. Dunn is still out with injury and there has to be question marks over his ability to immediately hit his best form. He is also getting on in his career. A contingency makes sense.

I reckon we are banking a lot on Kelly coming good in the next 2-3 years. Or else we need to chase someone who can fill the role more immediately.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I reckon Marsh would slot in fine at full back if you are happy to accept he is a poor kick. I wouldn't be happy with that but his other playing qualities measure up.

I haven't forgotten Moore nor Dunn. You need two key defenders. Dunn is still out with injury and there has to be question marks over his ability to immediately hit his best form. He is also getting on in his career. A contingency makes sense.

I reckon we are banking a lot on Kelly coming good in the next 2-3 years. Or else we need to chase someone who can fill the role more immediately.

Chasinng someone to fill roles immediately is not that much of a stretch of the imagination. This year we recruited Roughead, a few years ago Dunn, and a few years before that Leigh Brown. We can do it again pretty cheaply if required.

Kelly wont be fast tracked. Dunn hopefully has two years left in his body, He along with and Moore and Roughead should give Kelly plenty of time to develop.

May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chasinng someone to fill roles immediately is not that much of a stretch of the imagination. This year we recruited Roughead, a few years ago Dunn, and a few years before that Leigh Brown. We can do it again pretty cheaply if required.

Kelly wont be fast tracked. Dunn hopefully has two years left in his body, He along with and Moore and Roughead should give Kelly plenty of time to develop.

I hope you're right about Dunn. And I hope Roughead can be more than a fill in for us but i'm skeptical about that. With the age of Dunn, Goldsack and Reid I do think we will chase someone in key defence again this off season. I hope the calibre of player is high.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
I hope you're right about Dunn. And I hope Roughead can be more than a fill in for us but i'm skeptical about that. With the age of Dunn, Goldsack and Reid I do think we will chase someone in key defence again this off season. I hope the calibre of player is high.

Yep, not convinced we need a ready made kpp, maybe even a draftee or two, but its an area we are down on. I think the club has a lot of faith in Moore making it and also De Goey making it as an undersized full forward. If those things pan out then the pressure to replace these aging players with a veteran is reduced.

Will be interesting how they replace Murray if that happens. As time advances the odds increase that Murray will remain on our list either by getting off the ban or getting one signifcantly reduced.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Yep, not convinced we need a ready made kpp, maybe even a draftee or two, but its an area we are down on. I think the club has a lot of faith in Moore making it and also De Goey making it as an undersized full forward. If those things pan out then the pressure to replace these aging players with a veteran is reduced.

Will be interesting how they replace Murray if that happens. As time advances the odds increase that Murray will remain on our list either by getting off the ban or getting one significantly reduced.
Why is the decision on Murray taking so long?! There seems to be no logical explanation for the time that the B sample result is taking to be announced

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Good luck to him.

He might get to play a few more senior games. Can’t hurt.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lucky the Saints are good at curing hamstring injuries! o_O

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
^no need for that.

Good luck to Marsh. Wish him all the best, and hopefully he can continue from his WAFL form and have a decent career at AFL level. (Just not against us).

Good luck to Marsh. His retirement likely extended Goldsack’s CFC career by 3 years and meant we got to see a career best year from him in 2017.

Despite sometimes poor decision making (throw it on the boot) I would have liked to have seen Marsh back in black and white, but he’s not a list need.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Back