Senior 18. Sam Walsh

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah decent call. Having seen him play, albeit not much, at afl level now do you agree with where he went?

I do

Was always going to show early form, developed body and in a good system

If you look at the players taken before him, not too many that you would change, especially taking into account upside

Sam Walsh is shaping up as the best-prepared AFL draftee in the past two decades ...

https://outline.com/PbswWp
Like the mention of his (now) 204cm little bro about to embark on the TAC with the Falcons...
Earmark Henry in a few years time to don the navy blue alongside the Curnow and Silvagni brothers :thumbsu:
We definitely will become the Blues Brothers!!!!

Like the mention of his (now) 204cm little bro about to embark on the TAC with the Falcons...
Earmark Henry in a few years time to don the navy blue alongside the Curnow and Silvagni brothers :thumbsu:
We definitely will become the Blues Brothers!!!!
Throw in Thomson Dow & TDK's brother (whose name escapes me at the moment) & we will truly be the Blues Brothers.

Sam Walsh is shaping up as the best-prepared AFL draftee in the past two decades ...

Wouldnt mind a ruckman who's had Sam as a brother. Sam's professionalism is more nurture than nature so it augers well for his brother I would think. Reckon most track watchers will keep a close eye on him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven’t been this excited about a rookie since Jezza debuted in 1967 and BT Crosswell followed in 1968.

Yep. I’m EXTREMELY circumspect about first years, even those that start well. But this kid is something else I think.

It’s one thing to be fit (particularly given he doesn’t weigh much)...but his running patterns, ability to get into good positions etc. Pretty amazing for a rookie.

All the praise put on Walsh there is something not unexpected given what we've seen/heard so far .. but I really love this quote from Turner which speaks to what his impact on the team could be:

“What you will find is some players at Carlton will be looking at Walsh thinking, ‘hang on, I’m going to have to lift my game’ given the way this kid goes about it.
“Not Patrick Cripps or Kade Simpson or Ed Curnow, but some of the others will be looking at the standards he’s setting and realise they will have to lift their own levels."

Call me optimistic but I reckon we're already starting to see some evidence of this happening.

Yep - competition drives healthy competition. Albeit being an 18 year old, a hard trainer only makes a terrific example for the group. Even moreso, being an 18 year old, everyone else will want to naturally at least match him.

All the praise put on Walsh there is something not unexpected given what we've seen/heard so far .. but I really love this quote from Turner which speaks to what his impact on the team could be:

Call me optimistic but I reckon we're already starting to see some evidence of this happening.
thought judd would do the same - shame/inspire others to lift their standards.....

thought judd would do the same - shame/inspire others to lift their standards.....

Different situations. If you're a 2nd year intern at an organization you don't feel threatened or moved to action by the experienced star performer who's getting paid 6 times your salary. You're well aware that far more is expected of them than you.

But if a new intern comes in and starts out-working you, you might just be concerned enough to go a bit harder.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back