Streaming Black Mirror

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Posted this review on IMDB.com....

----------------------------------

This format, of an hour long individual story per episode, is perfect for TV, and Black Mirror does a wondrous job of it. As each episode starts, you know you have no idea what you are about to get, so you're always captivated. Each episode does a fantastic job of setting up the story, as you try to guess what it could be about, and as the story unfolds trying to predict what the "catch" is going to be, or, with some episodes, how far deep into the rabbit hole it is going to take you.

The variety of stories is interesting, tho at times it's kind of repetitious or tied in with previous technology of this futuristic world. Which is also a good thing, how the sci-fi technology crosses over into other episodes. Often I find myself cringing at the specific technology the writers have cooked up because whatever humans imagine in terms of futuristic technology has a habit of being actualized one day. So, cancel my subscription to the future if the world is going to at all resemble this futuristic world. What a horrific state the human race will reach. Of course, that is part of the moral of the entire show.

The acting in each episode is superb. Often heart-breaking, heart-wrenching, performances. No ham acting, unlike the over-hyped The Handmaids Tale. Instead, in Black Mirror, there is a vast sprawl of acting proficiency, from subtle facial expressions or body movements, to Oscar Award winning-like whole roles.

After a somewhat sub-standard start to the opening season, in terms of stories, the show really kicks into high gear from season 2 onward. There aren't a lot of episodes where there is a huge "catch", like Rod Serling's Twilight Zone was famous for. A lot of the time it's just ethics and moral lessons, or rabbit holes explored. But all of the very best episodes of this show to date truly impact you, surprise and shock you, and take you places you never guessed.

The cinematography and directing, from an array of people, is great. A lot of majestic scenes, backdrops, creative camera work, shot compositions, uses of lighting/color, etc.

In conclusion, this is a highly recommended TV experience. Persevere with the mediocre opening season, and you'll be richly rewarded with the following seasons.

Below is my own ranking of every episode to date across the four seasons....

5/5 STARS
01. crocodile
02. white bear
03. shut up and dance
04. be right back
05. hang the dj
06. black museum
07. uss callister

4/5 STARS
08. white christmas
09. the entire history of you
10. men against fire

3/5 STARS
11. metalhead
12. arkangel
13. hated in the nation

2/5 STARS
14. playtest
15. nosedive
16. san junipero

1/5 STARS
17. the national anthem
18. fifteen million merits
19. the waldo moment

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
If I've got a downloaded version of Bandersnatch, how do I play it so that the interactive features work? What video player software is there that contains the ability to do that? I tried VLC and W10 Movie player and both don't have it.

I watched the single entity movie. But I'd also like to try the interactive aspect of it.
Invest in Netflix like everyone else probably did ?

Alesana

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
If I've got a downloaded version of Bandersnatch, how do I play it so that the interactive features work? What video player software is there that contains the ability to do that? I tried VLC and W10 Movie player and both don't have it.

I watched the single entity movie. But I'd also like to try the interactive aspect of it.
Interactive features? That might explain why it was the worst thing I've ever seen :$

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
Interactive features? That might explain why it was the worst thing I've ever seen :$
Apparently you have to watch it on Netflix, and whenever the actors present two choices to the main actor, an icon pops up on your screen and you have 10 seconds to choose. So you could take the story wherever you wanted. And it would be more linear. Whereas the downloaded version is just a huge jumble of all the choices and the story makes no sense.

Apparently you have to watch it on Netflix, and whenever the actors present two choices to the main actor, an icon pops up on your screen and you have 10 seconds to choose. So you could take the story wherever you wanted. And it would be more linear. Whereas the downloaded version is just a huge jumble of all the choices and the story makes no sense.

The choices go in circles a bit so after awhile you can lose track a bit.

Do Netflix still do the one free month thing? Probably your only option. Doesn't work with every output either, from memory I had to use the PS4 to watch it rather than the Netflix app on my Blu-Ray player.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The choices go in circles a bit so after awhile you can lose track a bit.

Do Netflix still do the one free month thing? Probably your only option. Doesn't work with every output either, from memory I had to use the PS4 to watch it rather than the Netflix app on my Blu-Ray player.

Probably not worth the bother anyway now. I've watched the d/l movie and it wouldn't be interesting now.

But I think the whole idea of Interactive Movies is a fantastic idea that should occur more often.

But I think the whole idea of Interactive Movies is a fantastic idea that should occur more often.

The idea is ok, but it still felt a bit gimmicky. Biggest problem is after the first few endings, you become disengaged from the story.

Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
The idea is ok, but it still felt a bit gimmicky. Biggest problem is after the first few endings, you become disengaged from the story.
If it's stupid things like which breakfast cereal to pick from, it wont go far.
Needs more dramatic choices, paths.
It could be done really well if a Studio had a really good script/story. Bandersnatch had a very weak story.

If it's stupid things like which breakfast cereal to pick from, it wont go far.
Needs more dramatic choices, paths.
It could be done really well if a Studio had a really good script/story. Bandersnatch had a very weak story.

I think the breakfast cereal was simply there as a tutorial choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
First ep had the least amount of plot holes in any BM ep I have seen.

JezzasOnTheAsphalt

Club Legend
May 14, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've watched all 3.

Not as dark as previous seasons but very well written.

Wish there was more.

Of course I would have liked more as well. But there's a bit of solace in that given it was short, there was no real howler for me this season. There was generally one that was quite a lot worse than the others in the longer seasons in my opinion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back