Preview JLT - Lions v Demons, Casey Fields, Saturday March 9th 3.10pm (Brisbane time).

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure Martin is smaller than him?
Martin's about the same size, but May took the opportunity to go the player 100% and not the ball. But, it didn't help that Martin got a two handed shove in the back from Ablett as May was leaving the ground either. Video Link.

Round 1 we will come crashing down to earth. Still so many glaring holes. Demons missing viney, lever and jones and they still almost won against our full strength team minus Zorko.

Very pleasing performance and the win was a bit of cream on top. Much better ball movement and McStay and Hippy were excellent in the first half. Think we might be suited better playing with just two tall forwards with Charlie and Cam as the 3rd marking options.

Big ticks for Lyons and Mathieson today. McCarthy was solid again and going to be very handy for us this year. Lewy was better today.

Harris Andrews was a monster down back - just marked everything - don't dare play him up forward.

Massive tick for Zac Bailey - this kid is a jet.

All in all a good day and looking forward to taking the young fella to see the boys tomorrow at the club day.

Round 1 we will come crashing down to earth. Still so many glaring holes. Demons missing viney, lever and jones and they still almost won against our full strength team minus Zorko.
Hi Willy Puller,

So does that mean we were full strength minus Zorko, Gardiner and Adams and they were full strength minus Lever, Jones and Viney?

I don't get you mate. You used to be a great contributor now it feels like all you want to do is post trollish comments in order to get a reaction. Hope you're all good mate.

Well done guys. I don't want to get carried away but we had a pretty strong side out there and you made our zone look second rate.

People harp on about 5-17 last year but it could easily have been 10-12 with all the close losses. I have you pencilled in for around 12 wins this year - which may or may not get you finals. Loving the work the humble Chris Fagan is doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought keays looked composed. Hopefully he can develop into some handy depth for us.
I've always thought he has a big upside. I was really hoping a swap for him and JL was going to happen.
Oh well Lions look like a win/win with that.

Seriously buddy, you’re so damn negative I don’t get why you bother.

So far your predictions have been full of holes.

Didn't like the first half. We leaked goals galore much the same way we have for the last five years.

Second half, much better as we started to match a good side in close and around the contests. Tackled them into the ground.

Recruits Neale and Lyon did what they are best at. McCarthy may be the best value recruit since Mal Michael? I have become his number one fan

Balladen showed a bit and given his tender age I would be investing some games in him. The Big O may be worried

I don't get you mate. You used to be a great contributor now it feels like all you want to do is post trollish comments in order to get a reaction. Hope you're all good mate.
Remember folks, the ignore button is functional until he gets out of this little phase

Didn't like the first half. We leaked goals galore much the same way we have for the last five years.

Second half, much better as we started to match a good side in close and around the contests. Tackled them into the ground.

Recruits Neale and Lyon did what they are best at. McCarthy may be the best value recruit since Mal Michael? I have become his number one fan

Balladen showed a bit and given his tender age I would be investing some games in him. The Big O may be worried

View attachment 632102

Gotta go.

Late, no duty of care exercised, had alternatives, shoulder and chin look to connect.

Lol. Just lol. With the history he has, to do anything like that in the last practice game before the first season at your new club. I'd say it's dumb, but that doesn't quite do him justice. Intellectually, he's seriously from the shallow end of the gene pool.

Matho has made an almost irresistible case for Round 1 selection.

Looks like Basti v Lewy for a spot and until the last quarter, Basti was well in front. Lewy turned on the jets in the last quarter and looked terrific, so who knows?

If Hippy can just start sticking a few more marks, he'll tear the place down. McStay showed us some really good stuff and looked more confident and committed than he has for a while. Keep it up Dan

This J Lyons goes alright for a guy that the Plastics showed the door. Eagerly awaiting the next off season to see who else they reckon is no good. Ainsworth and Jack Martin are rubbish I hear, so come on up fellas;)

The way Lachie is tracking, he's appealing more and more as an upgrade on Beams and having said that, I hold no grudges against Beams.

Mitch Robbo continues to amaze me. The man is an inspiration and his good stuff outweighs whatever perceived shortcomings he has by quite a margin. Gets a game in my Lions team any day.

Finally, we look really fit and in both of these JLT games, put the opposition away when we lifted our intensity in the second half. OK, so the Dees had a late surge but we steadied when it mattered and won well. I thought we were clearly the better side for three quarters and that the final 7 point margin flattered Melbourne, especially after they got 2 or 3 really soft goals through technical , or just plain wrong application of the rules.

Bring on the real stuff.

I'm more hopeful than expectant of a win against the Eagles but whatever the outcome on the scoreboard it will be all about how much we've progressed.

GO LIONS!

Highlight of the match was my 8 year old taking of his Brisbane heat shirt in the third quarter and putting on his Lions Guernsey! He lives in his heat shirt because he is a cricket fanatic so it really meant something for him to do that.
My highlight was Demons supporters looking like they'd sucked on a lemon

Was pretty impressed with the win like most. Great to see Hipwood and McStay clunking marks and kicking straight. Bailey also fantastic and looks to have found his place for the short term at least. JLyons is certainly doing everything asked of him and is more than capable when he goes forward.
Not sure if Lewy will get a run come round one. He had some good moments today but the squeeze is certainly on for mid/ forwards.
Also thought Clugga, Berry and Rayner were quiet today. They did a couple of nice things but certainly were down on production. Berry it seems is really struggling energy wise whereas Rayner seems to be playing with the attitude of a 200 gamer during preseason and just going through the motions. Plenty of improvement in those three yet.
On another note can we confirm if Hinge and Starc both did hamstrings today and Cutler didn't play with a hamstring as well? If so that's four medium sized players with hamstrings in two weeks. A concern?

Really happy with Rich today. Looking at home in the backline now.
Yep, Rich was great today. Seemed have picked up half a yard of pace too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back