The new 50 meter penalty requirements are bad.

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Can someone explain it to me please?

Seems very exploitable, and no idea what the defensive team is meant to do if the player with the ball sprints faster...

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
I don't know why the AFL doesn't manage these rule changes better and have education sessions with the umps and the players to help explain the rule in detail, providing examples.

Suspect they did. But talking and telling players about it and practically in a game adjusting to change are not the same.
JLT perfect time to work on it in practical terms.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
I don't know why the AFL doesn't manage these rule changes better and have education sessions with the umps and the players to help explain the rule in detail, providing examples.

They would have. They did that at WAFL level this preseason so the AFL would have been the same.

I don't really like the rule but don't get in front of the player with the ball and you will be fine. It's not that hard to understand

Trouble is, the player with the ball can play on at any time, and the rule requires you to basically give them a clear path to get away.

Trouble is, the player with the ball can play on at any time, and the rule requires you to basically give them a clear path to get away.

As it should be. A 50 metre penalty is meant to be a big advantage for the attacking team, much more compared to a standard free kick, and if the attacking team thinks the optimum time to make use of the advantage is 25 metres down the oval, then by all means.

What was actually wrong with 50m penalties before this, did the AFL just randomly decide they weren't ******ed enough?

Defending teams could track back much faster than the umpire counting the 50m, and then the attacking team had to wait until the umpire blew the whistle before commencing.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
What was actually wrong with 50m penalties before this, did the AFL just randomly decide they weren't ******ed enough?
It was too much. 25 to 30 metres is what it always should have been from around mid 1980's. for some dumb reason they went from 15 metres to 50 sometime after 1987. Jimmy Stynes famously gives 15 metres away in 1987 prelim final

ItsGameTime

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Apparently you can play on from when a 50m penalty is awarded now? That's probably why they introduced it.

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
The worst part about 50 metre penalties is that they exist at all. Should be 25m. Seriously some of the trivial garbage that leads to massive advantages for teams is just a load of crap. Stuff like not giving the ball back properly, following your man through the protected zone but going around the player the wrong way etc etc. Its all so trivial and not in the spirit of the game to give massive penalties for minor mistakes.

50m penalties should be reserved for violent hits that come late and other violent acts.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Was there an issue that needed to be fixed or again the rules committee making a change to justify their pay packets?

I saw the Riewoldt double 50 tonight. There are going to be some awful, awful 100 metre penalties at crucial stages that decide games.

Yet ANOTHER thing cocked up by the AFL.

Back