JLT-2 Crows v GWS - Post Match Thoughts

Remove this Banner Ad

Hartigan was laughable. Literally, the commentators were laughing at him for attempting a handball, missing the ball completely and throwing it to his direct opponent who walked into an open goal.

Bloke cracks under pressure. He was nervous and fumbly in the first qtr. Of a JLT match at 28 and plenty of experience. No wonder he let's us down in big games. Why pyke persists with him I will never figure out. Swap hartigan for keath/otten and I think we have the perfect team with plenty of depth. Harto in the 2nds as a back up option is pretty good. Locking him in every week to play, regardless of who we are playing or who his opponent is, like they have under pyke is not.
Hartigan had one monumental howler early on but got better as the match went on as he blew out the cobwebs, hardly unexpected he'd be a bit rusty after a compromised pre-season and lacking match practice.

Hartigan had one monumental howler early on but got better as the match went on as he blew out the cobwebs, hardly unexpected he'd be a bit rusty after a compromised pre-season and lacking match practice.
Who would you pick out of Keath and Harto bicks ?

Prob prefer Keath as key defender but Harto can play on different types which we may need with Brown out

Tough call

Prob prefer Keath as key defender but Harto can play on different types which we may need with Brown out

Tough call
Probably Hartigan but not much in it either way, Keath has better decision making but Hartigan is clearly stronger in a body on body contest IMO.

Watching the Hawks Richmond game and the tigers game plan is not working with the new rules. They are being shown up 1 on 1 in defence. While the Hawks have done what we did and have kept them to only 2 goals so far. Only 2 teams to do it defensively with the new rules so far I have seen are us and hawks , a sign Don pyke and clarkson have adapted well. And if Don can keep up with clarkson, we are right to expect big things.

I wouldn't read too much what is happening in Tasmania tonight.

Tough call

Who would you pick out of Kelly and Harto to cover for Brown? Both are more than decent players, able to take a medium forward but both a bit suspect under pressure.

Who would you pick out of Kelly and Harto to cover for Brown? Both are more than decent players, able to take a medium forward but both a bit suspect under pressure.
Probably Kelly, but it's a tight one.

Probably Kelly, but it's a tight one.

Yep it’s a tight one. At first thought it seems obvious you go Kelly as he is more like for like. But one of the few good points Marty makes is that Harto has shutdown some of the best mid size forwards in the game.

Yep it’s a tight one. At first thought it seems obvious you go Kelly as he is more like for like. But one of the few good points Marty makes is that Harto has shutdown some of the best mid size forwards in the game.
When Brown is fit there's a reasonable chance neither get a game so whoever plays will need to perform.

We can't play all of Harto, Kelly, Keath and Talia though.

When Brown is fit there's a reasonable chance neither get a game so whoever plays will need to perform.

We can't play all of Harto, Kelly, Keath and Talia though.

Yeah not suggesting that. Talia + 2 of the other 3 until Brown returns. Probably Kelly one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think tonight's match has shown hawthorn and clarkson have the right tactical plan for the changes as we do, but not the cattle to pull it off as well as we can due to our more talented list.

Smith and Milera looking dangerous, and making any suggestion that Milera might struggle to play his half back role once Smith returns look silly. Those two, along with Laird, give us so much drive from half back. The new kick-in rules suit Smith to the ground, he can put us in the centre square every time if he wants.

It's tight, but I'd go with Keath and Kelly over Hartigan at the moment. I don't mind Hartigan, he has some brainfades but he does a lot of good stuff. But I think Keath is ahead of him and somehow we look a bit top-heavy if we go Talia-Keath-Hartigan. I thought Kelly was handy. Doedee is obviously class. Crazy to think that at this time last year he hadn't played a match yet, Milera was still a struggling small forward, and Keath only had seven games under his belt. It's a new-look backline!

Ellis-Yolmen is going to be very handy depth in the midfield. He, Fogarty, Jones and Hartigan drop out of the round 1 side for mine.

Crouch brothers... if they stay fit all season, it's going to be fun to watch!

Definitely Kelly and likely Harto as well depending on make up of forward line of oppo

If they have less talls I’d pick Harto instead of Keath , if top heavy Keath just

The usual StonesThrow delayed comments after watching a legal replay. I watch it slowly though :)

I reckon M Crouch and Sloane are in for huge years. Crouch is a serious midfielder now. Clean, composed and still finds plenty of the ball obviously. Sloane looks to be used around the ground a bit? Not so much in the clinches. Will make it tougher to tag him. If he's free and fit, we're looking at prime Sloane who is clean, clever and strong.

Half back looks amazing. They can all defend as well. Smith hasn't lost anything from 2017.

I don't think Gibbs was as bad as people were saying. Had some very nice touches as well.

Knight was better.

Walker better. He's got some sort of spring loaded piston on his hand or something. Fires out handballs.

Jacobs was actually pretty good.

Talia strong first game.

Harto got better as the game went on. Usual brain fade but did okay. Think him and Keath are level. Keath better with the ball.

Nothing much to say about Jones that hasn't been said. He moves really well and is much stronger than he looks. His movement allows him to get to contests easily and be first to the ball. Has genuine smarts with the ball and lowers his eyes. Without seeing anything other than his highlights, he sounded a little vanilla (but competitive) when we drafted him. Have to say he looks a lot better than expected in terms of football attributes. Has some weapons.

Overall the ball movement looks sharp. We've really got an A grade to elite core of players off half back and midfield who've played quite a bit together now with a consistent game plan. I think that's starting to show. 2017 we got glimpses of it. 2018 everything went balls up. This year looks different and hopefully that consistency pays off.

The usual StonesThrow delayed comments after watching a legal replay. I watch it slowly though :)

I reckon M Crouch and Sloane are in for huge years. Crouch is a serious midfielder now. Clean, composed and still finds plenty of the ball obviously. Sloane looks to be used around the ground a bit? Not so much in the clinches. Will make it tougher to tag him. If he's free and fit, we're looking at prime Sloane who is clean, clever and strong.

Half back looks amazing. They can all defend as well. Smith hasn't lost anything from 2017.

I don't think Gibbs was as bad as people were saying. Had some very nice touches as well.

Knight was better.

Walker better. He's got some sort of spring loaded piston on his hand or something. Fires out handballs.

Jacobs was actually pretty good.

Talia strong first game.

Harto got better as the game went on. Usual brain fade but did okay. Think him and Keath are level. Keath better with the ball.

Nothing much to say about Jones that hasn't been said. He moves really well and is much stronger than he looks. His movement allows him to get to contests easily and be first to the ball. Has genuine smarts with the ball and lowers his eyes. Without seeing anything other than his highlights, he sounded a little vanilla (but competitive) when we drafted him. Have to say he looks a lot better than expected in terms of football attributes. Has some weapons.

Overall the ball movement looks sharp. We've really got an A grade to elite core of players off half back and midfield who've played quite a bit together now with a consistent game plan. I think that's starting to show. 2017 we got glimpses of it. 2018 everything went balls up. This year looks different and hopefully that consistency pays off.

This is pretty much spot on. I was at the game, probably with a different view, and disagree only a little with two points.
(1) Gibbs: his disposal was awful and he looked indecisive. I will grant him some leniency since he seemed to be following Cognilio around, but his short kicks were completely weak and ineffective. Also, there were a couple of occasions when he did one of these instead of confidently kicking the goals that were available, and which he would have gobbled up normally. (2) Knight: I'm inviting criticism by going against the BF view, but I was unimpressed by Knight. He certainly did some good things, but in the second half he looked cooked and just reactive: I would have taken him off. I love Knight when he harasses and shows passion throughout the game, but this doesn't happen often enough. I want him to succeed, but he doesn't really seem to possess any great abilities apart from his harassment and passion: when these are off, he just looks like a hacker.

Knight just doesn't have the polish, I rate his endeavour and his work ethic but he doesn't do enough with ball in hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back