Where is Daniel Howe

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah really poor start to the new regime, we're going into Round 1 with more best 22 guys out than any other club that's for sure.

Interesting to see if Gunno comes up, if not it’ll be an abomination

Jesus it’s been a disastrous pre season for the new fitness guy, so many key players injured.. what’s going on?

Yeah really poor start to the new regime, we're going into Round 1 with more best 22 guys out than any other club that's for sure.

No we are not.

Fact.

Who else is missing more than 5 of their best 22 going into the season ?

Who else is missing more than 5 of their best 22 going into the season ?

Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne (potentially),
North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St.Kilda Sydney, West Coast, Bulldogs.

Brisbane, Carlton, Collingwood, Fremantle Gold Coast, GWS, Melbourne (potentially),
North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, St.Kilda Sydney, West Coast, Bulldogs.

I'd have to analyse as your idea of best 22s at those clubs might well be rather different to mine, or maybe ours just feels worse because it's like 4 of our top 10 that are out and two of our top 5.

I'd have to analyse as your idea of best 22s at those clubs might well be rather different to mine, or maybe ours just feels worse because it's like 4 of our top 10 that are out and two of our top 5.

I'm going off the injury list clubs put out last week but yes it is subjective.

And yes ours is arguably worse then the other teams given we've lost the best player in the comp.

Really?

Aside from Mitchell are we missing many from the best 22? Gunston will reportedly be fine for Round 1 and not sure you can include Birchall when he hasn't played for two seasons.

Mitchell, Wingard, Scully at an absolute stretch but given his injury if he plays at all (and he will) it should be treated as a bonus. So I count two?

Really?

Aside from Mitchell are we missing many from the best 22? Gunston will reportedly be fine for Round 1 and not sure you can include Birchall when he hasn't played for two seasons.

Mitchell, Wingard, Scully at an absolute stretch but given his injury if he plays at all (and he will) it should be treated as a bonus. So I count two?

Mitchell, Wingard, Scully, Birchall, Howe and Gunston ( If he misses) would all be best 22 if healthy. Four of those names would be in our top 8 or so.

Also I don't think you can say Scully playing games is a bonus, the club wouldn't be paying him 500k a season if they didn't expect him to get back on the park.

Last edited:
Jesus it’s been a disastrous pre season for the new fitness guy, so many key players injured.. what’s going on?
Mitchell, Wingard, Scully, Birchall, Howe and Gunston ( If he misses) would all be best 22 if healthy. Four of those names would be in our top 8 or so.

Also I don't think you can say Scully playing games is a bonus, the club wouldn't be paying him 500k a season if they didn't expect him to get back on the park.
Probs can't blame Mitchell on our new Fitness/Med team - or anyone. Certainly can't blame Scully on them & if you're looking for someone to blame Birchall's condition on, then you'd have to say at least 50% belongs with the previous team.

Wingers, Gunston & Howe, of which, Gunston may play Round 1.

Probs can't blame Mitchell on our new Fitness/Med team - or anyone. Certainly can't blame Scully on them & if you're looking for someone to blame Birchall's condition on, then you'd have to say at least 50% belongs with the previous team.

Agree with all that to be honest, I was more or less just stating the facts that we're going into the season without a fair portion of our key players which is frustrating for us.

I think the issue is that you started the conversation with the bolded. It's not the new regime at all for the most part. That's what people are pushing back against. Not the fact that we have some high quality out.

Mitchell can't be linked to them, neither can Scully. They've managed to get Scrimshaw up and running well, which is a plus. Wingard could be linked to them, but most players joining our regime have an injury in the first year as they adjust to new training loads and then build really well after that. With Wingard, I wonder whether it's also linked to trying to push his body harder to play more midfield.

On Howe (which this thread is meant to be about!) we still have no idea what has actually happened!?! Who knows whether it's injury, mental health, or even drug or behavioural that has been kept in house. Really strange.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe Minchington may also have some sort of hammy problem..

Dan was at home in Febuary
https://www.yarrawongachronicle.com.au/@news/2019/02/26/463046/hawks-soar

Hawks soar By Yarrawonga Chronicle
MIlhwczCkhQ0UAoKTcBV.jpg

Former Sacred Heart Primary School student and now AFL Hawthorn star Dan Howe returned to his old school last week alongside seven of his teammates as part of AFL’s Visit Program. Dan was a crowd favourite with the students signing many guernseys, flags and footballs as well as having the odd photo taken. All players yielded questions from intrigued students and gave fantastic advice to students to work hard to chase their dreams.
1 of 2
9hIjT0bcY1vlsw8hRuzY.jpg

Oliver Hanrahan, Marc Pittonet, Dan Howe, Jackson Ross, Dylan Moore, James Worpol and Jacob Koschitzke got amongst the Hawthorn fanatics at Sacred Heart Primary School.
2 of 2

The AFL Hawks ‘flew’ into Yarrawonga last Tuesday to visit local schools in the area such as Sacred Heart Primary and College as part of their AFL Visit Program.
Among the Hawks players was former pupil Dan Howe, who received the highest amount of questions from excited and intrigued primary school students.
Each of the players spoke about their journeys from Auskick to the AFL and gave the fantastic advice to students to throw their hat into the ring and go the extra mile and give 100% effort to achieve their dreams.
“I enjoy doing the school visits as its good to get around the kids,” Dan said.

1552256908615.png

“This one is more special to me being back in my hometown and visiting my old school, it’s just more personal.

“There are still a lot of my old teachers here which is great to see and to be able to visit them and have a quick chat is awesome.”
One of Sacred Heart’s staff that Dan knows well is mum Liz who was proud to see the students getting around her boy.

“I visit home as often as I can but I don’t often get to come back to my old school, so this visit was great,” Dan said.
“It’s also good to do these visits with some of my teammates that are metro boys and grew up around the city, they get to experience the country and see where I grew up.”
Oliver Hanrahan, Marc Pittonet, Jackson Ross, Dylan Moore, James Worpol, Jacob Koschitzke and Dan all yielded a number of questions from students of every football team supporter base such as who will captain the Hawks this year, how many members Hawthorn has, what were players back-up careers and what was going through their minds during the draft, before students had the opportunity to shake hands and receive autographs from the players.
“It’s always great when we have people such as sports stars that so many of the students know, come in and have a chat and answer any questions the students have,” Dean said.
“It makes them happy, they realise these people they look up to are still approachable and having a past student like Dan visit the school really puts a thought in their heads that if something such as footy is what they want to pursue further down the track, if they put their mind to it and work hard they can achieve it.”

The tyranny of an injury to a marginal player, eh? A "very, very minor hip complaint" has him slip from view and now he's two or three games at Box Hill until he gets a look in again.

That being said, it looks like we'll be running the JLT2 midfield for three weeks until we shake it up. Or perhaps we expect Wingard and Scully to come back into the midfield picture by then meaning that Howe has quite a line in front of him. It's amazing how quickly we've gone from no depth at all in the midfield to can't get close to gettting our AFL-seasoned players into the side.

Same, I just think that role goes to Shiels.

I'm honestly struggling to see another role for him though, unless we're planning to let Shiels off the leash.

Sheils can be more creative if given the opportunity, Shiels is signifcantly smaller than Howe and Howe is a battering ram.
I like Howe where he is making a path and stopping oppo gun mids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back