JLT2 2019 - Hawthorn v Richmond, UTAS Stadium 7:10pm AEDT 9 March 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I think overall most people were happy with the first half... most not so much the second half. (Me I said at half time Clarko will pack up his bags and let it happen has done that over his career in nothing games if we were a little too good early)

I think the major differences were some people were calling out the usual suspects and some were calling out 'premiership heroes' in the second half

Overall I think both were right it was some of the usual suspects, some premiership heroes and or the youngsters.

I think where the biggest discrepancies were
The premiership heroes playing well some did most didn't but ppl forgive them for that premiership... my position if they played a bad game just call it, it happens
Then there was the blaming of the usual suspects if they played a good game sometimes that happens too but if they didn't just say it as well.

Too many ppl viewed the game on past history rather than just the game itself. Liam Shiels for example looked disinterested I've never really seen him play like that but that's what I saw. He's as good as a 4th midfielder in the league you'll ever see over his career so far but he didn't look tuned in and didn't even look to tackle much something he holds afl records in. Do I think that is Liam Shiels, NO, it's just what I saw on one night. I don't judge him on one night overall, but I don't either say Liam Shiels is a triple premiership player so I won't judge him on the game I just saw because he won 3 premierships when discussing the game we just saw. He was fairly average all night for him.

P.S: I reckon for a guy who's been around forever, won 3 premierships as an automatic selection midfielder, he's one of the least discussed players on our list over that period... he's almost the Chris Mew of the 80's.

When the Tigers turned up the intensity we couldn’t keep up. We completely ran out of gas.

Smiths brain dead decision was very costly when we needed a goal against the flow.

I love the Mirra story and all but jeepers we need to find an alternative.

Tigers will be a top 4 side. We are a 6th-12th side.

Can’t wait until we see Scully and Wingard in our colours.

Before the Mitchell injury, I honestly felt that we'd give the flag a red hot crack.

However given his unfortunate injury we could finish anywhere between 6th - 14th on the ladder.

The additions of Scully and Wingard will definitely help soften the blow and I'll be watching the season unfold with the upmost of excitement.

Knowing how Clarko operates though, we very well could win another flag if he figures out a solid and sustainable way to offset the loss of Mitchell.

It's going to be a very interesting ride this season and I'm keen to watch it all unfold.

I know it's only pre season but Smith & Shiels missing those shots has really pissed me off. Both have form for butchering very gettable chances in recent years and their application in those critical moments continues to bewilder me

Just saw a slow-mo of Shiels' gut punch on Graham. Both players will be hoping that incident doesn't come under close scrutiny, as it looks like the stomach punch is a reaction to Graham hitting Shiels in the head with his elbow.

Just watching the highlights, the crowd sounded quite bias towards Richmond - are we getting out-supported in Tassie now, or are Hawthorn fans incredibly tame?

View attachment 632215

"Oh, Dick, what a delightful mark from young Mitchell Lewis. Did you see that?"

"I did, indeed, Kitty. Very pleasurable."
hysterical.. or is that historical.. happy but crash the tigers party.. this game doesn't matter.

My observations and thoughts...

JLT games mean nothing and Clarko ever since he arrived has never once set about playing one of these games as if it was a regular season game. These matches are useful for trialling structures, set plays and positional ideas to see how they hold up against an actual opponent. Tonight we started the game off in a reasonably tame way with many of our players in their best positions. In the second term we shuffled a few tactical positions and these were evident around the contests. After half time we took a few guys off but we also made a great deal more rotations through the centre and stoppages.
It's worth noting as well that we rotated heavily and often sat guys our for extended periods of the match so it's clear that from a conditioning side of things there was a lot of boxes being ticked to not ramp guys up to 100% this early on. O'Meara played less than three full quarters of match time, Sicily at 54%, Worpel at 60% (still won 9 clearances) and several others well below what they'd play in a genuine match.
Richmond are a very good side, their first half was well below their best and whilst we made the most of the opportunities we had, we weren't exactly playing well ourselves. The second quarter was some very low standard footy from both sides.

On individual players, Scrimshaw stood out early. Looked comfortable in defence, worked hard to create and I'd have him as a lock for round one. Lewis was impressive early and I'd also like to see him play round one. When he went off after half time our forward structure in my opinion became less structured. In the first half Richmond defenders we actually being accountable for him and whilst he didn't impact the scoreboard he did allow for the forward line to avoid the man floating in from the side of the contest to take an easy mark. Still got a fair way to go but his forward craft offers the same as what Schoenmakers has in previous years. O'Meara looks the goods, a lazy 35 disposals for him. Worpel loves the contest but does rush his kicks sometimes. Cousins will play round one, consistency is his biggest question mark at the moment.

On the other hand, thought Nash was disappointing. Got lost a number of times and thus allowed his direct opponent to play off him. O'Brien got caught ball watching too much and Mirra was too slow with his decision making and awareness.

It was a really good hit out and Richmond's class and experience really got them over the line. The result means nothing however and it's exciting to know you have guys like Gunston, Wingard, Scully, Howe, Birchall, Mitchell all not playing in the side.

Not much at all. Until Jack decided Kung fu was acceptable in AFL and kicked him in mid air

Good call - staggered that none of the brain dead commentators seem to notice his Jackie Chan impersonation. Clearly too focussed on drooling over Martin and Rance

My observations and thoughts...

JLT games mean nothing and Clarko ever since he arrived has never once set about playing one of these games as if it was a regular season game. These matches are useful for trialling structures, set plays and positional ideas to see how they hold up against an actual opponent. Tonight we started the game off in a reasonably tame way with many of our players in their best positions. In the second term we shuffled a few tactical positions and these were evident around the contests. After half time we took a few guys off but we also made a great deal more rotations through the centre and stoppages.
It's worth noting as well that we rotated heavily and often sat guys our for extended periods of the match so it's clear that from a conditioning side of things there was a lot of boxes being ticked to not ramp guys up to 100% this early on. O'Meara played less than three full quarters of match time, Sicily at 54%, Worpel at 60% (still won 9 clearances) and several others well below what they'd play in a genuine match.
Richmond are a very good side, their first half was well below their best and whilst we made the most of the opportunities we had, we weren't exactly playing well ourselves. The second quarter was some very low standard footy from both sides.

On individual players, Scrimshaw stood out early. Looked comfortable in defence, worked hard to create and I'd have him as a lock for round one. Lewis was impressive early and I'd also like to see him play round one. When he went off after half time our forward structure in my opinion became less structured. In the first half Richmond defenders we actually being accountable for him and whilst he didn't impact the scoreboard he did allow for the forward line to avoid the man floating in from the side of the contest to take an easy mark. Still got a fair way to go but his forward craft offers the same as what Schoenmakers has in previous years. O'Meara looks the goods, a lazy 35 disposals for him. Worpel loves the contest but does rush his kicks sometimes. Cousins will play round one, consistency is his biggest question mark at the moment.

On the other hand, thought Nash was disappointing. Got lost a number of times and thus allowed his direct opponent to play off him. O'Brien got caught ball watching too much and Mirra was too slow with his decision making and awareness.

It was a really good hit out and Richmond's class and experience really got them over the line. The result means nothing however and it's exciting to know you have guys like Gunston, Wingard, Scully, Howe, Birchall, Mitchell all not playing in the side.
Thanks for the post, I couldn't watch the match so this kind of report is great.

I've only seen highlights but what I saw was pleasing. No dishonour in going down late to such a strong side, especially as rest and rotations are still at the forefront of or coaches minds. It's obvious just from 2 seconds looking at O'Meara that he is in prime condition and exploding with confidence. This alone makes season 2019 a good prospect. Rough can still be the man somedays, but it was good to see that nice strong mark from Lewis, who I'm sure will be up and down this year, but he's a fine natural contested marker and a deadeye inside 50. Moreover he was singled out for his great character and leadership on the kokoda trail. We'll see plenty more of him.

Sad to see Brand go down. I don't think it's a serious injury, but he needed things to go right for him in the pre-season to be a shot at round one. He had difficulty breaking into the team last year and I think it will be even 'mohr' difficult this season.

The idea that this side will soon gain players of the calibre of Gunston, Wingard and Scully is mouthwatering.

TOB and Mirra coming on was the ball game. List cloggers, both of em.

Main positive was Roughy. If he’s going to play like that this season, then bloody fantastic.

They seriously lifted in the 2nd half. Cotchin scintillating in the last quarter. They’re a serious footy side. We’re 4-5 seasoned players short to be able to mix it with the big boys.

Don’t know what to expect r1. Will be heart in mouth stuff early this season for mine.

Agreed mate, O’Brien and Mirra were pathetic. I can see our midfield getting torn apart this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morning everyone.

I haven't yet had the chance to watch the replay, but I've watched the highlights.

What in the flying f@#k was that kick on Kaiden Brand from Jack Riewoldt?

Does anyone know if KB sustained an injury from it?

Shouldn't it have been a free kick rewarded to Brand?

Also, I thought that the AFL brought in rules to prohibit such acts, unless I'm mistaken.

I've always considered Riewoldt a flog, but now he's a dirty flog.

Hopefully I'll get to watch the replay soon.

We looked rather good at times, but I do worry fadeouts may be a common theme in the season proper also due to our lack of depth and class in the midfield area.

Also surely the talk of TOB making it as a defender at AFL level can all but be put to bed ? Really hope this is the last year on the list for him, just isn't cut out for AFL footy.

People were saying the same thing in pre season game against cats , 50 points up then just won by a kick after the siren but apparently clarko was ‘trying ‘ things in the 2nd half!! Let’s be real. You are what you are.
We defeated the cats twice last year and finished above them, point? If you think, we would leave TOB on Jack after the third goal or take JOM off for a full quarter, take Sic off for a full quarter, move Scrimshaw after the first quarter, not tag Cotchin and leave our young mids to go one on one when they needed a rest during the regular season I don't know what to say.

Last edited:
Agreed mate, O’Brien and Mirra were pathetic. I can see our midfield getting torn apart this year.

I personally don’t think the midfield was the issue. I was impressed with Worpel and Cousins. They held their own against Richmond. You put Wingard and Scully as part of that midfield rotation and it will be a whole lot better overall.

Hawthorn vs Richmond
403 Disposals 354
154 Contested Possessions 146
110 Marks 73
12 Contested Marks 7
13 Marks Inside 50 7
43 Hit-outs 33
37 Clearances 41
Inside 50s 52

The problem I see is the back six and the lack of speed coming out of defence. Besides Impey there just isn’t much drive or rebound coming out of defense.

I wouldn’t play Brand, Mirra and O’Brien together in the team other then if there’s an injury or suspension. Birchall has been such a big loss the last two years. He’s left a huge hole back there.

There is no need for sexism - she was incompetent tonight, and has been pretty much everytime I've seen her umpire, but that has nothing to do with the fact she's a woman, she's just a poor umpire.

If she was given the job because she’s seen as a good umpire, she should be dropped.
She’s not up to it.

If she was promoted because the AFL just wants to have a woman umpire appointed, well ...

Shattered, I haven't watched the game yet.

Was it just a matter of us tiring out?

At least there wasn't much in it.

Any highlights for me to look forward to?
Yeah was Roughy of old hey? The delivery was much better though. His leading into space was great and he seemed more athletic than last year.

JOM is awesome. Kept thinking how good it was getting him last night

Edit: Think I quoted the wrong quote but can’t BF fixing it

Jack Higgins, is there a worse person to talk up in the entire league. Such an annoying self aggrandising tosser.

I disagree the bloke is a larrikin. There are no personalities (or the players refrain from showing some personality) in the game so the second a player bucks from the traditional stock standard responses the media over uses them. It’s not his fault the media overstate him constantly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back