Game Day Port vs Roos - JLT #2

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Thought the same at the ground today, the black shorts looked a little weird with the white guernsey, but the North kit combination made it worse.

I get the whole ‘preseason jumper’ thing but I can’t imagine many people are rushing out to buy the white preseason jumper when it was our away kit for a few seasons, it isn’t like it’s a novelty... For simplicity we should’ve just worn black today and let North wear the lighter kit IMO, or wear all white and let North wear the predominantly blue if we were desperate to wear the white preseason jumper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thing is that combo we wore wouldn't have clashed with a lot of teams. Many would have suitable combinations to avoid it. Heck, even North wearing the all blue would have been better.

I don't want to see teams wearing lighter tops with darker shorts going the way of the dodo. It's aesthetically pleasing to me.

Ps, looks worse in white shorts with the sidepanels. Get rid of them.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
Pre-season or not, wearing our away Guernsey at our home of homes and our hallowed ground is pretty sickening.

No number 1, no PBs, no home Guernsey at Alberton. s**t feels off.

But we could wear the PBs at Adelaide Oval with number 1.

Hooray AFL. Go Ports.

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
Someone good with photoshop needs to do something with this.

"I can't believe we got Zak Butters"

View attachment 632067
Here you go (also posted in his own thread)

sketch-1552130699823.png

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just what we want where we’re going up against Gawn

to even it up Melbourne's 2nd ruck - Preuss got a groin injury

(also Melbourne lost Harms, Harris, Fritsch while May could have to face the MRO)

Nihilus

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
NOTE:- via the TAB - Butters was 100/1 for the rising star before JLT - rd1, and before JLT - rd2 he was about 36/1

it will be interesting to see what he is at after this game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Outside of that period where we stopped not much to be concerned about.

Losing centre clearances (and general clearances) is a worry as they where without Goldstein.
No we definitely have to fix our defence. We are heading in right direction but I am not sure we will achieveva lot this year. 2020 to 2021perhaps? Still we live in hope.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No we definitely have to fix our defence. We are heading in right direction but I am not sure we will achieveva lot this year. 2020 to 2021perhaps? Still we live in hope.

No doubt, as the defence not being right is a large part of what caused it, the Midfeild being not quite right during that period as well.

Hartlett back into the back 6 and Howard back in form will help out.

Out of curiosity how were we set up at that point I can’t remember. We’re we trialing something when it happened ?

Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
No doubt, as the defence not being right is a large part of what caused it, the Midfeild being not quite right during that period as well.

Hartlett back into the back 6 and Howard back in form will help out.

Out of curiosity how were we set up at that point I can’t remember. We’re we trialing something when it happened ?
I can’t remember either until I rewatch the game

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I can't say I was that unhappy with the result. 21 points to a fairly strong Port side at Alberton is tolerable. Most of the players showed something, and the two appalling downfield free kick goals actually flattered the result.

Still, you can't take this stuff too seriously, as both sides left plenty in reserve.

My major concern from a North perspective was tactics:

1) The way Ports "sit off" North players by 5 metres to rope in a pressured handball tactic continued to suck us in to exactly doing just that, resulting in turnovers.
2) Our inability to break down Port's constant chip, chip, chip kick and mark set up coming out of defence.

Basically the two things that decided the result in our match last season.

I was very happy with our clearance and run & gun output, considering our side. The clearance stuff in particular considering Campbell was completely dominated by Ryder & Lycett. I don't think our two sides will finish that far apart this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back