Analysis 2019 List, Game Plan and Best 22?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't often agree with you B52 (no offence), but I think you're spot on here. We used to be great at sharking the other rucks taps, we've dropped off noticeably in that department.

Because we aren’t a pro-active midfield anymore. Since 2017 our mids seem to have a defensive mentality of trying to shut down the opposition midfielders and then winning possession by scrapping. I’m hoping the next generation - Heeney, Hewett, Mills and Florent - will be more willing to come off their man and attack the ball from the tap. I think JPK and Parker, for all their combined brilliance, are both from that old school Swans way of prioritising more on getting the ball than actually clearing the ball out of the centre. Not much good getting hands on it if you can’t get any clean, effective clearances once you have it. This is also why I was a fan of Rowbottom pre-draft, as he has that attacking mentality where he cares less about over-possessing the ball in close and more about just moving it forward into space.

Because we aren’t a pro-active midfield anymore. Since 2017 our mids seem to have a defensive mentality of trying to shut down the opposition midfielders and then winning possession by scrapping. I’m hoping the next generation - Heeney, Hewett, Mills and Florent - will be more willing to come off their man and attack the ball from the tap. I think JPK and Parker, for all their combined brilliance, are both from that old school Swans way of prioritising more on getting the ball than actually clearing the ball out of the centre. Not much good getting hands on it if you can’t get any clean, effective clearances once you have it. This is also why I was a fan of Rowbottom pre-draft, as he has that attacking mentality where he cares less about over-possessing the ball in close and more about just moving it forward into space.
Heeney and Mills have to become AFL mids first

Heeney and Mills have to become AFL mids first

Very true, but I am optimistic our next generation of mids will have a more attacking mentality with guys like Heeney and Florent running through there. They’ve shown to be creative types that we haven’t really had in the midfield for a while. It will just take time.

Don't often agree with you B52 (no offence), but I think you're spot on here. We used to be great at sharking the other rucks taps, we've dropped off noticeably in that department.

Oh well Jewells. Law of averages and all that.

I somewhat doubt it but does anyone have the stats for play on after a mark? I would be very interested to know where the Swans sit compared to other clubs.

Yep. Often wondered the same. Strikes me we are more likely to prop and cop.

hey lads, just wondering what the outlook for reid is this year? how do you see his going?

If he is fit then he is going to be in the side, hopefully in the forward line with Buddy but with Longmire Reid is sure to spend a lot of time in defence whenever the opposition gets a little bit of a run on. Reid to defence is Longmire's plan A-.

hey lads, just wondering what the outlook for reid is this year? how do you see his going?
He'll deliver his standard output of ~12 disposals and a goal per game

The list is about as ordinary as you can get.
Alarming also that we are struggling to find players that want to come here and players leaving

Going forward is an issue if we can’t get them here

You need to make up your mind. Is our list ordinary or is the coaching bad? Because it’s unfair to judge a young list if they’re under a poor coaching regime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought we were in the "2019 list, game plan and best 22" not the 9th "Horse is the worst coach in the AFL" thread. My bad!

Oh well he’s certainly proved me wrong so far this year by doing everything as poorly as last year

You need to make up your mind. Is our list ordinary or is the coaching bad? Because it’s unfair to judge a young list if they’re under a poor coaching regime.

Horse is responsible for the List (with others) the way they try to play and overall output

People want to deflect blame because the list is x

Nah buck stops with our highly paid long term coach

Horse is responsible for the List (with others) the way they try to play and overall output

People want to deflect blame because the list is x

Nah buck stops with our highly paid long term coach

I agree to blame the list is simply deflecting off Horse. He has a group of youngsters as good as any in the comp, and the senior players he does have have hit walls prematurely under his tenure.

I agree to blame the list is simply deflecting off Horse. He has a group of youngsters as good as any in the comp, and the senior players he does have have hit walls prematurely under his tenure.

He’s coaching the flair out of these kids is the sad part

He’s head ****ed a few

He’s head ****** a few

It was super deflating seeing guys like Mills, Florent and Heeney just trying to involve themselves last night but not knowing how or when to do so. Three of our most confident, even arrogant youngsters. Then you have guys like Papley and Jones constantly having to bite off more than they can chew just to try and create a spark for the team. Finally you have Hayward, Blakey etc looking absolutely lost at sea in our dysfunctional forward line. I know it will all take time for change to come together but imagine the damage a whole year of this could do to our youngsters.

The list is about as ordinary as you can get.
Alarming also that we are struggling to find players that want to come here and players leaving

Going forward is an issue if we can’t get them here

We need an allowance that may help players to cover the expense of relocating to a more expensive city.:think:

We need an allowance that may help players to cover the expense of relocating to a more expensive city.:think:
That’s an issue of course but last year we had betters offers out there and still couldn’t land Moore , Langdon or Berg instead we get Clarke who isn’t AFL standard and will get delisted in 2 years

But the old guys like Macca , buddy and Kennedy are still carrying the team at times
What’s that say for our younger guys

Yeah key term there - at times.

There were also times last year where the youngsters were carrying the old guys, including when McVeigh and Buddy were absent. As I said go back and watch the Richmond players you rate so highly and see their 2016 form when they were in such a bad state that their board had to get involved and clean house. Youngsters can only do so much if there’s something rotten from the top down.

He’s head ****** a few

I'm interested in this - who has had the flair coached out of them ? Papley still runs around showboating. Parker does overhead kicks for goals and tries to hit volleys from 15 metres. Jones still tries to take players on in the defensive half.

The only player I think you can make a case for this is Florent. The others still try to play with dash. and with Florent I think the issue is getting him the ball in space which might be a work rate issue.

Who are you talking about ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back