Peel Scratchmatch

Jun 4, 2008
Kardinya
AFL Club
Fremantle
-Wood: Wood keeps on impressing me. He is a whippet and he looks like a kid, but jaysus he's clean. Every touch is a one touch, smooth, confident movement. He's also a very good decision maker and user by the looks of things. Took a possession on the wing and delivered with precision into the forward line in one passage of play. Oh did I also mention that this was when he was playing in the MIDFIELD!? This guy would be about 50kg sopping wet. But he seems courageous and able to take a hit. The Fyfe clone calls are a bit ambitious at this stage, but I think he has all the tools to make it as a smart high half forward/mid. Lucky for him he's got time on his side. Clean as a whistle.
Thanks for the feedback docker nut - like your comments about Wood. I got the same impression from the intraclub scratchie - some serious composure & skill execution about him. A bloke I work with (an ex Subi player & his son is a current Subi lion) said he's watched a bit of Wood & said he has an amazing knack of positioning himself to out-mark blokes twice his size.

I'm hopeful for Menegola playing his way onto our senior list. Some posters go on about him just being an athlete, but having seen him play very well for a losing Sharks side in the WAFL GF a couple of years ago, he looked to me like a decent winger / HFF. Reasonably tall as well.

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not really much more to say really, Dockernut and Salim Malik have summarised the game well.

The most pleasing thing for me though was that Mora played the whole game and wasn't even rested for extended periods on the bench. Mora now enters a new phase in building up match fitness and hitting targets. I would say 4 full games for Peel will get him back to where he needs to be and pushing for selection in the seniors.

I noticed he got into a heated wrestle with that ex-Eagles hack Ashton Hams in the last quarter too.

Sylvia improved on last week's performance, but he is still not putting his hand up for a run with the seniors just yet.

Menegola and Duffy were good without being spectacular, (Jeeze menegola can roost a ball) Wood and Apeness were good in patches and Subes did what was required of him and nothing more.

Subes is just biding his time during his suspension and getting minutes into his legs and nothing more as he is not coming off an injury. For mine he will take Tommy Sheridan's spot against the Gold Coast.

Clancee Pearce needs another game for Peel for sure as he has lost his touch over the offseason. He has hold marks and hit targets by foot, but he did improve as the game went on.

For South fans out there, Paul Magumbwa was superb.

Anyone else notice a Stephen Michael look-a-like wearing the number 9 for Souths?

Lastly, we saw Josh Simpson in his Peel uniform leaving the ground just before the game started. So he was either not required to play, or he was injured, or he played ressies. He didn't look injured and he was smiling as he left the ground. Anyone know the story there?

Last edited:

JunglistPosse

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Thanks guys for the reports. I am intending to watch Peel play this year for sure...so will come and say hi.

Based on your reports, can I conclude?

OUT : Pearce

scon

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2009
western australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Long haired Champs.
I went and had a look and agree with the educated eye of the seasoned reporting team.In Sylvia's defence would be the fact that he had flown across the country and back in the previous 24hrs but without any sort of mitigation did not look as though he would be knocking any selection doors down any time soon.At times tried to be a bit too cute by foot missing targets on choices that were over complicated in the first place.In and under he is obviously an experienced,hard bodied force.He had better get organised and get in the team quickly because Brady Grey is a friggen tank who is obviously quite used to bossing the show physically.Didn't do huge amounts,just looks the part with good hands,attitude;likes to get in there and get things rolling his team's way.Can definitely see why we grabbed him.Wood is a beautifully balanced,stylish looking footballer and if Webber's team can affect the same transformation as achieved with Fyfey he'll be an AFL player.
I'm a Tanner fan and he did not have a fantastic day particularly with his distribution by foot and at times with some average decision making,but then on a couple of instances reminded me of his potential.Saw more potential and talent in Menegola than other games I've watched and can see why he has been kept on the list slowly improving.
Apeness is mobile,willing,competitive and capable.Plenty of energy and purpose on the lead and got a very decent pair of hands and good kicking technique;looks likely but obviously will take a while.Skinny looking 100kg but maybe he's lost a few under the Freo-Webber regime.
BYB Kirky's young bloke who got out with dad and his two sisters at every break.Takes a great grab and is under constant and meticulous tutelage from dad;can see why he got so much out of himself as a player and I reckon he's a class act as a development coach.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
My observations, player by player:

- Mora: as I mentioned earlier, he made one play when I first got there charging at a ball in contention that took a lot of courage. After that Mora got plenty of touches through the back line and occasionally moving through the midfield. He hasn't lost anything in the way of confidence, takes the game on every chance he gets, tucks it under the arm, runs hard and kicks long. Not a textbook game from him though by any stretch. Dropped easy marks missed passes, and generally looked rusty. But hey, he's coming from a fair way back, so I'm just pleased that he's getting minutes and touching the pill. He also seems to have lost none of his aggression, laying some hefty bumps and some borderline high shots. I have to say, I'm really stoked to just see Mora out there again, but gee whizz I wince and cross my fingers just about every time he hit the deck or copped a tackle. He's coming along.

-Subes: Typical Subes game. Hard at it (really just set himself to hurt dudes in some instances), but skilful with the possessions he did have. Won some ball at stoppages, but for an AFL player, he should really be getting more possessions than he did. Don't know what his numbers were, but he didn't really catch my eye that much. Solid, but should be dominating these games.

-Sam Menegola: One of Peel's better players IMO. Even though the Peel defence was under siege for most of the second half, Sammy stood tall. He took some good defensive marks, played his man hard, marshalled younger players in defence and provided a bit of run out of defence. His kicking is not elite, but he does have a long boot and generally made the right decisions. I'd liken him a bit to Adam McPhee in his defensive game. He's a bit of a mid sized offensive sweeper and I can see why he's been kept on the list, but there are a few ahead of him for this particular role (Ibbo, Clanger), so I'd query whether he will stay there. Enforcer of the future?

-Tanner Smith: I know I said he is a s**t kick, but perhaps I was a little hasty. It was a little windy and to be honest, the entire game was well, WAFL standard. I think sometimes when you play at that level, the standard of the game (and your WAFL team mates) can let you down. Look, Tanner is definitely a competitor. He's not easily moved in a contest, he is good overhead, he runs off his man at the right time to impact a contest and he tackles hard. This is everything you want in a defender. But in today's game, you also need to be super clean (unless you're Dawson). He, with Menagola were definitely the standouts in a besieged defence today, but yeah there are areas of Tanners game that need work. Maybe it's his kicking, maybe it's his decision making, I'll leave that one for the coaches. Plenty to work with here.

-Moller: Developing his craft quite nicely is our young Molman. Competes on the ground when he can, nice kicking action, and can kick it long. Didn't see him clunk many marks today, as you'd ideally want to see a guy with his height, reach and natural agility take, but meh, he is a stick figure playing against some really big bodies in the ruck. One thing I will say about Moller, is that his tap work is exquisite. Again and again he tapped deftly to his mids (who were copping a monstering from the Sowfs lads, so to no avail), so again there is plenty to work with here and once he starts to fill out a bit, I have high hopes. Hopes = high.

- Simpson: Don't think he was playing.

-Duffy: Did a few nice things early on, but seemed to disappear after half time and hasn't really changed my opinion of him I'm afraid.

-Apeness: Took one strong leading mark out in front that I can recall, but other than that, I didn't see much of him. Looks big. May have been injured or rested at some stage, because it can't recall seeing him on the field after the 3rd Qtr. Need to see more of him before making a call.

-Grey: Really didn't notice Brady today, sorry Sepp. That is, I did see him hovering around packs and maybe getting one or two touches, but he just didn't get involved as much as I expected him to. Pleasingly, he is not he midget I expected him to be, but yeah, not an impressive game from Brady. Looked short....of a gallop.

-Wood: Wood keeps on impressing me. He is a whippet and he looks like a kid, but jaysus he's clean. Every touch is a one touch, smooth, confident movement. He's also a very good decision maker and user by the looks of things. Took a possession on the wing and delivered with precision into the forward line in one passage of play. Oh did I also mention that this was when he was playing in the MIDFIELD!? This guy would be about 50kg sopping wet. But he seems courageous and able to take a hit. The Fyfe clone calls are a bit ambitious at this stage, but I think he has all the tools to make it as a smart high half forward/mid. Lucky for him he's got time on his side. Clean as a whistle.

-Col Sylvia: Not on the initial team sheet, as I thought he was in Melbs just yesterday, so all credit too him for playing. And he played pretty well IMO. A real hard nut in the contests, dug in and fought for the pill a number of times, so I get the impression he's trying to prove the doubters wrong, which can't be a bad thing. He wasn't flashy or a game changer, but is definitely going to challenge DeBoer at some point this year, based on what I saw today. Particularly if he starts having an impact on the scoreboard. Coming on.

- Clanger: Another one not on the original team sheet as far as I can see, but obviously in need of the run. Clanger was good, generally did what Clanger does (marks well for his size, kicks with precision, hits the contest hard), but based on his game today and our effort last night, I can't see him coming back into the side in a great hurry.

Let me know if I've missed anyone.

Thanks for that Dockernut, you went above and beyond on that one.

Very glad to hear Morra played a full game and wasn't shirking either giving or receiving full contact - he was a tad hesitant on occasions last week, so his confidence in his knee is obviously growing. Very promising signs! :)

PurpleReign

Cancelled
Jan 29, 2013
Hi guys, I arrived at the ground at the beginning of the third quarter in the ressies and had a quick scan of the ground to make sure there were no dockers out on the ground I should be watching. About 10 minutes later I noticed Josh Simpson out there and being the only docker I watched him very closely. I counted 1 handpass and 2 kicks for the rest of the game. What a contrast to last week! Against the demons he looked really engaged, made lots of 2nd, 3rd and 4th efforts and generally looked like he had "arrived" as a player. This week he seemed to lack run and enthusiasm. He got a kick to the hand early in the 4th quarter which seemed to cause him some discomfort but continued to play. I know a week is a long time in football but what could have happened since last week to 1) result in him playing in the ressies and 2) to play quite poorly? - as I said I did miss the first half. Other than this observation I don't have anything else to add to Dockernut and Co's reports although I would like to say that having seen nearly every game that Tanner Smith has played since he came west, yesterday was the best game I have seen him play.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah all I've seen of him is his draft video but he looked pretty decent. He ranked elite in the draft camp for kicking efficiency and clean hands but was still overlooked. Interesting to see how he develops.

Back