Multiplat Rocket League

Slowly getting back into the groove (again) after having a break for a while. It's kind of amusing to me how I nail the timing of striking the ball instantly after not playing the game for some time (weeks/months) yet give it some time and my "timing" goes back to being very hit and miss (jumping up to intercept the ball too early etc).

I've had some ripper games where I've played defensive, but when I've taken my chance to attack.... I've finished off well and scored :D. Had a few great wins and a few mind numbing dumb losses (eg: was 4 - 0 up with 2 minutes to go.... ended up losing 5 - 4 lol). The irritating losses are when they happen in a last second score attempt. Although I had to laugh at one which went in my favour....... the guy was going for goal to level the score and force overtime......had the ball moved another cm he would have had it, but the timer beat him :D.

Pulling off shots on the rebound. Launched a ball on the wall, gave myself an air boost, caught the ball in mid air and watched it sail into the goal.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Slowly getting back into the groove (again) after having a break for a while. It's kind of amusing to me how I nail the timing of striking the ball instantly after not playing the game for some time (weeks/months) yet give it some time and my "timing" goes back to being very hit and miss (jumping up to intercept the ball too early etc).

I've had some ripper games where I've played defensive, but when I've taken my chance to attack.... I've finished off well and scored :D. Had a few great wins and a few mind numbing dumb losses (eg: was 4 - 0 up with 2 minutes to go.... ended up losing 5 - 4 lol). The irritating losses are when they happen in a last second score attempt. Although I had to laugh at one which went in my favour....... the guy was going for goal to level the score and force overtime......had the ball moved another cm he would have had it, but the timer beat him :D.

I find it changes from night to night how responsive it is. Certainly some nights you can be off your game, but others you can really feel how slow the car is elevate and react to steering changes. Makes a huge difference.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
So true. Last week I went up 3 ranks and could hardly lose a game, everything I touched turned to goal. Last three nights on the other hand it’s whiff city. I’ve only won about 3, dropped a rank and it doesn’t help that I’m getting matched with some really.... special teammates. Last night one game with a teammate that refused to play anything with conviction - he always stopped balls in the back half to attempt slow dribbles, never came up to goal to attempt my crosses, never cleared from our goal etc. The next game I had a bondafide ball chaser that was flying backwards and crashing into me every time I was attempting aerials at goal. No amount of Wow! got the message through.

Gameova_

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Takes a while to get the hang of it, once you do though, most addictive game out there for the fist pump moments

I tried both the soccer and basketball arenas. Basketball no one scored soccer was easier to play. If I got the hang of it I know it will be fun. Challenging game

Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Massive confidence booster: Played on my mates console who had maybe played 5 games in his life... scored 8+ goals in every game.. and my random little nooby teammates worshipped me

yeah this happens to me

That awkward moment when my "defending" ends up costing my team a goal - I attempted to deflect the incoming ball, I managed to hit it... but of course it deflects the wrong direction (diagonally right instead of left) which results in a goal for the opposing team.

Of course I managed to redeem myself 1 minute later by nailing an attacking goal scored from an acute angle. This leads me to troll myself by saying I've now scored 2 goals :D. My team managed to win in overtime, which could have been avoided had I not stuffed up at the start of the game.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I haven't played in a while, is there really much RNG in the game?

I reckon there can be a few games that can feel like they're decided by a lucky deflection or something, but in the long run as your games average out it comes down to skill. I only play half and hour to an hour a week and am comfortably stuck between gold 2 and 3, and while a few games come down to a lucky hit either way I found they mostly come down to 50/50 aerials and aerial whiffs. Both are improved with more practice.

Jul 12, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
How fanbois think this game is all skill is beyond me

You can get on a bad run where every bounce/contest seems to go against you, but still, you gotta have the skills to create and finish chances. Reading the play and learning to read how your team mate plays (if with randoms) also a big key.

I will say that (at least on PS4), connection and input lag has a huge impact. Some nights you can barely win an aerial contest despite looking like on your screen that you're well above the opponent, only to see on the replay that you're well below him.

Dockerjonz

Club Legend
May 27, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Benfica,Canucks
I agree you do need skill in the game but you don't win games purely on just your skill-i just find it funny when fanbois type the usual "ez".

mickelboy182

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 30, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets
I agree you do need skill in the game but you don't win games purely on just your skill-i just find it funny when fanbois type the usual "ez".

I mean, 9 times out of 10 you win games on skill...

It's just typical bait that comes with any online game. It bothering you is exactly what they want...

Jul 12, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
dammit i was at Plat 3 Div 3 just then and thought i might finally break through to Diamond. Lost about 6 games in a row and now back to Div 1. If anyone would like to carry me that final 2 steps to diamond that would be greatly appreciated :)

giphy.gif

Back