Analysis Best 22 for 2019?

Remove this Banner Ad

Team played a lot of good footy last yr
But the Coughing up was bad
Coming out of the backline, going fwd..We lacked skill

Agreed, turnovers coming forward and small forwards not impacting enough at ground level were two main weaknesses. My side:

B: EVW, McKay, Wright
HB: McMillan, Tarrant, Pittard
C: Dumont, Cunnington, Polec
HF: Simpkin, Wood, Anderson
F: Ziebell, Brown, Atley/Turner/Wilkinson/Zurhaar/Garner? (whoever has the most impact in the preseason)
Foll: Goldy, Higgins, Jacobs
Int: Hall, McDonald, Tyson, Ahern
Emg: Garner, LDU, Walker

Last edited:

The new experienced 4 guys will all be given first crack in the 18 - this means there is really only 1-2 spots up for grabs assuming all players ex Daw are available.

The 22 will therefore look like this

B. Williams Tarrant Wright
HB McMillan Thompson Pittard
C Hall Tyson Polec
HF Atley Wood Dumont
F Simpkin Brown JZ
R Goldy Higgins Cunners

Int - Anderson, Jacobs, LDU.

The 22nd player will come down to issues like 2nd ruck options, another tall forward being needed or another mid depending upon match ups. Come mid season my 22nd player would be Larkey or Zurhaar but McKay or Durdin will be chosen early assuming Durds can get enough fitness in. McKay will be given first round in Thommo's absence but Thommo will come straight back in for Round 2.

Walker, Ahern and EVW are in the mix for the initial emergencies. LMac, Garner, Turner, the Rat won't be in the 22 - these guys could well go a long way back if T Thomas, Taylor, Scott or Wilkinson show some early season form. Good quality depth at the club now across the half back line and mids.

Key forwards are the issue and that's makes Larkey a crucial prospect for us. His form progress (and/or Daw's recovery) will be key factors for where we finish this year.

That is a squad of 28-30 players that should make top 4.
Wright is not great, EVW I would way prefer as the only medium defender.

Out: Wright
In: Garner

McDonald can float back.

Assuming Jed, Garner, BJ and Taz don't get up but JMac, Marley and Cunner do I'd expect rd 1 to look like
B: Williams McKay Wright
HB: JMac EVW McDonald
C: Polec Cunnington Dumont
HF: Ahern Brown Hall
F: Wood Ziebell Atley
Foll: Goldstein LDU Tyson
Int: Scott Thomas Simpkin Pittard

Assuming Jed, Garner, BJ and Taz don't get up but JMac, Marley and Cunner do I'd expect rd 1 to look like
You are missing Higgins and Ahern

Accepting the fact that Jacobs and Garner are no hope, adding Jed, Taz and Higgo to that 22 makes the squad look pretty formidable.

Round 1 side

Okay, after watching the 3 preseason games and taking in to account that Cunners, J-Mac, Tazz, Williams and Jed will play:

B: Williams, Tarrant, Vickers-Wilis
HB: MacMillan, McKay, McDonald
C: Polec, Higgins, Hall
HF: Ahern, Wood, Atley
F: Ziebell, Brown, Turner

R: Goldstein, Cunnington, Davies-Uniake

Int: Scott, Anderson, Tyson, Dumont

Emerg: Simpkin, Pittard, Hrovat

- Cunners, Higgins, LDU, Tyson, Anderson and to a lesser extent JZ to rotate through the middle.
- Polec, Hall, Dumont, Scott + Higgins & Ahern in the wing rotations
- Higgo to play 50/50 centre clearance & wing.
- Ahern to play 50/50 HF & wing
- Tazz & McKay on the 2 KPF's (2nd ruckman & Taberner), EVW to pick up Hogan

Sorry Jy, but you're missing out in round 1. I can't put you ahead of any of the blokes on the bench based upon exposed form.

Last edited:
Round 1 side

Okay, after watching the 3 preseason games and taking in to account that Cunners, J-Mac, Tazz, Williams and Jed will play:

- Cunners, Higgins, LDU, Tyson, Anderson and to a lesser extent JZ to rotate through the middle.
- Tazz & McKay on the 2 KPF's (2nd ruckman & Taberner), EVW to pick up Hogan.
I reckon Ahern is rotating through the middle and at centre square bounces, just quietly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Ahern is rotating through the middle and at centre square bounces, just quietly.

Of course he is. Hall is too.

Stoppages, yes.

Centre clearances, not so much. They are going to be crucial under the new rule, so the very best hard ball winners must take precedence.

I think that between injuries, new guys on the list , form and strategy decisions most people’s list with be up to 4-6 players out.

It’s too fun not to try and guess but it’ll be interesting to reflect back and see how far wrong we were.

I can’t even recall the team I posted but I’m certain it’ll be way off!

Round 1 side

- Tazz & McKay on the 2 KPF's (2nd ruckman & Taberner), EVW to pick up Hogan

Sorry Jy, but you're missing out in round 1. I can't put you ahead of any of the blokes on the bench based upon exposed form.
I like it the only change maybe Thomas for Turner, Thomas puts on more forward pressure and may have some X factor around goals.

Stoppages, yes.

Centre clearances, not so much. They are going to be crucial under the new rule, so the very best hard ball winners must take precedence.
You'll soon see that Paul Ahern is one of our best contested ball-winners.

Brad will be very keen to use Hall's breakaway pace in the middle.

Stoppages, yes.

It's the combination of winning it (Cunners, Tyson, Jed) and giving quick, well executed disposals to 'clear' it. Paul shows signs of being elite in the latter category.

22 for Round 1 (assuming injury clouds disappear):

B: Williams, Thompson, Vickers-Willis
HB. McMillan, Tarrant, Wright
C: Polec, Cunnington, Dumont
HF: Hall, Wood, Atley
B: Garner^, Brown, Ziebell
Foll: Goldstein, Ahern, Higgins
IC: Anderson, Davies-Uniacke, McDonald, Scott
Emerg: Turner, McKay, Tyson

^ Unclear on Garner’s fitness however operating on the assumption that he has been carefully managed to be ready for Round 1 (much like the international horses arriving first up for the Cup).

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
I have Majak, Jacobs and Garner out. Thompson suspended. Garner and Jacobs arent playing with no pre season hit out.
I have Marley, Jed, Cunners, Robbie and JMac as ins with Marley and Tarrant the bigger concerns.

Who else is under an injury cloud?

You'll soon see that Paul Ahern is one of our best contested ball-winners.

Brad will be very keen to use Hall's breakaway pace in the middle.

That's the whole idea of having them outside. WIN the clearance and then get it to Hall/Ahern etc.

That's the whole idea of having them outside. WIN the clearance and then get it to Hall/Ahern etc.
Pace can be pretty helpful getting the ball into outside situations though. Or you can use breakaway pace from a stoppage and go straight from inside to forward which Hall will do. Especially handy if Higgins is being sat on as last year he was the only one able to do it.

A Cunnington/Higgins/Hall combo would be good combo at the start of games when we have gotten on top early and want to pile goals on. Swap it out to Cunninton/Anderson/Tyson in red time to slow things down and prevent late goals.

On Ahern I think he'll just be one of our best straight up ball-winners. Going off a small sample but I don't think his 22 contested possession match was a fluke. A true 360 footballer that sees options others don't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back