Draft Profile Liam Stocker

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Edwards a 2nd rounder, Caddy a first rounder.

Exactly right. Most clubs can hit the odd rookie selection and make them a role player. Credit to Lambert for becoming more than just a bit part player but the majority will come from your first and second round. Anyone suggesting otherwise is wrong.

There is a myth surrounding Richmond’s drafting. Martin, Riewoldt, Cotchin, Rance, Caddy, Prestia, Vlaustin, Ellis, Higgins, Rioli, even Grigg, all first rounders. Plenty of second rounders too.

I’m glad the Blues are hitting this part of the draft hard. Maybe in 6-8 years we’ll reap the rewards. Hopefully earlier.

Huh? I’m simply asking a question. No need to be so defensive.
It’s no issue either way but I didn’t see any issues with his tank in the TAC or in testing.
Every article I've read about him has highlighted his lack of endurance. Richmond confronted him on it during the Pre draft interviews. His obviously has some great attributes but just needs to work on a few aspects of him game. Pretty simple

Every article I've read about him has highlighted his lack of endurance. Richmond confronted him on it during the Pre draft interviews. His obviously has some great attributes but just needs to work on a few aspects of him game. Pretty simple

Richmond didn't actually confront him on his endurance. Acording to stocker they confronted him on his "defensive transition".

https://outline.com/8kvYVD

Different things.

Last edited:
Did you read the whole article? It was all about his endurance as the issue, even in relation to defensive transition.

I did. Ralph said it was fitness. Stocker says he did a mini pre season to improve his endurance but he says that Richmond "struck him at his weakness... Defensive transition"

There is a difference.

I did. Ralph said it was fitness. Stocker says he did a mini pre season to improve his endurance but he says that Richmond "struck him at his weakness... Defensive transition"

There is a difference.

Further on, still commenting about Richmond’s assessment, Stocker said “... my endurance has long been something people have criticised me on”. Pretty clear this was an issue that was raised, cemented by the fact that his remedy for what arose in the Richmond interview was to work with Brayshaw to improve his endurance.

Was it his tank that was an issue or his unwillingness to run defensively.

I haven’t seen any issues with his tank in TAC cup or draft camp testing.

Knightmare - the ESPN AFL draft media guru, actually praises his endurance as a positive attribute

17. Liam Stocker (VIC)
Best position: Inside midfield
Height, weight: 183cm, 83kg
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Projected draft range: 10-30
Similar to: David Armitage
Rationale: Taking out the Morrish Medal for the TAC Cup's best player, Stocker has played a consistent brand of football for Sandringham and has been one of the stoppage stars of the TAC Cup. Drops as others rise.
October Ranking: 13
Strengths:
Stoppage work
Contested ball-winning
Reacts quickest to 50/50 balls
Tackling
Distribution by hand in heavy traffic
Strength to shrug tackles
Endurance
Work rate

Agility
Acceleration over the first 10m
Clean skills
Kicking to targets inside 50m
Weaknesses:
No clear second position
Outside accumulation
Contested marking

espn.com.au/afl/story/afl-draft-************-knightmare-power-rankings-caldwell-collier-dawkins-top-10

Knightmare - the ESPN AFL draft media guru, actually praises his endurance as a positive attribute

Looks like he missed something most others picked up on, including Stocker himself.

It’s a good example of how draft watchers observations should not be taken as gospel.

Looks like he missed something most others picked up on, including Stocker himself.

It’s a good example of how draft watchers observations should not be taken as gospel.

I personally wouldn't too much Stocks in Stockers words on himself. He isn't realistically going to say im pretty lazy the other way and dont track back when my opponent has the ball to the media or whoever talking to in that piece.

Id guess 90+% of draftees "need to need to get better with endurance. not too many of them being afl standard from day 1. pretty stock standard answer from Liam

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Liam will become a a high quality AFL midfielder, let’s give the youngster a little time to get adjusted to AFL level not all youngsters are as well prepared as Sam Walsh.

Feel a bit bad for the kid. He's going to have a hell of a lot of pressure on him because of the trade.

If I'm correct, this is only the second time a number one pick would have been traded? The last was Freo trading their number one pick for Trent Croad. That pick went on to be Luke Hodge.

I wouldn't count out North Melbourne for the no 1 pick just yet Big Bird, they are putrid as well as badly coached.

Yeah I'm not ruling them out.. just stating that if it does happen it'll be the first time in 18 years.

If Stocker goes on to be a gun (or the player drafted with Adelaides 1sr this year does) and the player drafted with 1 doesnt... is it still a bad trade?

I've always been of the view that we place too much value in top picks.

If Stocker goes on to be a gun (or the player drafted with Adelaides 1sr this year does) and the player drafted with 1 doesnt... is it still a bad trade?

I've always been of the view that we place too much value in top picks.
I think it's important to separate talent identification from trading.

If Jez McLennan turns out to be a gun and West Coast bomb the '17 and '18 drafts, does Gold Coast giving up pick's 21, pick 26, pick 37 in 2017 and 25 in 2018 for Jez McLennan at pick 23 in 2018 seem like a good deal? I wouldn't have thought so.

I think it's important to separate talent identification from trading.

If Jez McLennan turns out to be a gun and West Coast bomb the '17 and '18 drafts, does Gold Coast giving up pick's 21, pick 26, pick 37 in 2017 and 25 in 2018 for Jez McLennan at pick 23 in 2018 seem like a good deal? I wouldn't have thought so.

SOS only traded the first because Stocker was on the board, otherwise it wouldn’t have gone through. I think in this instance it goes hand in hand, for us atleast. I know the Crows don’t give a stuff about Stocker or anyone taken in the picks after, but we literally traded to select Stocker.

There's an old adage in football, 'don't give away high draft picks when you're building a list ' . It's list management 101 that SOS has got wrong. If any other list manager did that they would be held accountable. Stocker might turn out ok but he's nothing special ,he's certainly not a top 15 draft pick.

There's an old adage in football, 'don't give away high draft picks when you're building a list ' . It's list management 101 that SOS has got wrong. If any other list manager did that they would be held accountable. Stocker might turn out ok but he's nothing special ,he's certainly not a top 15 draft pick.

His first three games of AFL football in a poor team gave that away, didn't it? :)

Never heard that adage. Thanks for making it up

His first three games of AFL football in a poor team gave that away, didn't it? :)
Well out of that draft, I would put the following players as the top 15.
Walsh
Rozee
Rankine
Stack
Jack Ross
Lukosuis
Bailey Smith
Butters
Duursma
Max King
Nick Blakey
Hately