JLT Community Series - Game 2, 2019: GWS Giants V Adelaide Crows (opposition supporters welcome)

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Another test with Tobes and Tommo back in.

We will be missing Ward(knee) and Wilson(managed)

c0f6bbc440105308ef9a9aa854021932.jpg
c535bd3f243fa1e9099cd0e69815743e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Looks to be a fairly depleted midfield with no Hopper,Kelly and Ward but that will give opportunites to the younger mids in Perryman, Bonar, Caldwell and Hately and then Williams and Corr from defence and the forward 50 only missing Langdon but with 2 weeks to the first real game hopefully most of those mentioned are able to step back in and no injuries occur in the time between now and then
How I see the guys lining up tomorrow night

Shaw Davis Buntine
Kennedy Taylor TOJ
Tomlinson Deledio Whitfield
MDB Cameron Greene
Daniels HH Bonar
Simpson Coniglio Taranto

Defensive Rotations Keefe Cumming
Mid Rotations Caldwell Hately Perryman Reid (FWD)
Fwd rotations Lloyd (MID) Flynn (RUCK)

Buntine should confirm himself for rd 1 with a solid performance, others who are close would be Bonar, Caldwell, Reid and Perryman and then I can only see one of Daniels/Lloyd making rd 1 as MDB and Greene will play as small fwds IMO

Hmm, so obviously Corr, Kelly & Hopper all carrying a degree of injury/niggle - not so good. With Ward now looking to be out for the season's start, we need Josh & Jacob to be on deck. Still, it provides an opportunity for Perryman, Bonar, Caldwell & Hately to strut their stuff - likely to be now between one and three spots up for grabs. Plenty for them to play for tomorrow night.

Hmm, so obviously Corr, Kelly & Hopper all carrying a degree of injury/niggle - not so good. With Ward now looking to be out for the season's start, we need Josh & Jacob to be on deck. Still, it provides an opportunity for Perryman, Bonar, Caldwell & Hately to strut their stuff - likely to be now between one and three spots up for grabs. Plenty for them to play for tomorrow night.
I think with Ward out there is inside mid minutes available to the best contested ball winner out of Bonar, Caldwell and Hately (I already have perryman in the best 22). It will be a close race- im not sure I see a stand out TBH

dees fan here and fantasy related question. Do you see caldwell or hately playing round 1? and if so are they fantasy relevant or most likely just get dropped once ward comes back etc.?

dees fan here and fantasy related question. Do you see caldwell or hately playing round 1? and if so are they fantasy relevant or most likely just get dropped once ward comes back etc.?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...BMAB6BAgGEAU&usg=AOvVaw0y-EfVmvPe9Oii4uScLHPC

Best clue I think I can give you is Mattgew Nicks post JLT presser. For some reason the oress report interpreted this as they might play, particularly Cakdwell. Listen to what he says about his hard it is to break into our midfueld though, you might get a different impression.

The club wants to encourage them obviously, and they deserve a fair chance. Playing JLT2 is a positive sign. The dogs are barking Perryman into the midfield though. Bonar has more development in him and has done no wrong so far.

I think not but both are good prospects likely to get a debut as a forward at some point.

More likely Caldwell but we will know more after tonights game, a spot is available it is down to who wants it the most

We are fumbling heaps and again our forward structure has disappeared. We are trying to rebound quickly from defence to attack with no direction in our kicking. Our forwards arent even back and we are already bombing it in. All 3 of our goals so far have been either miraculous (Greene) or have been run in as a result of good pressure work (Lloyd + Daniels). We havent got any conventional and easy marks within 30m leading to kicks and goals which I find reminiscent of our last 2 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That being said, I feel Cumming and Taylor have both been shining lights today. Greene also creates lots of freak opportunities and was particularly productive in the 1st quarter. However feel his presence encourages us to just bomb it up aimlessly unlike last week where I thought we were much more methodical.

Look we got smashed in the middle tonight- they were running at full strength and we missed 3 of our best 22 in there. They smoked us in the clearances and when we had the ball we were really under pressure pretty regularly.

I thought the defense was reasonable, Simpson was serviceable (Flynn went missing) and the forward line looked under pressure all night. TBH I’m not really worried as there is still class to come back.

What I did notice is we were (at times) able to effectively go through the gears when they shut down the run. We switched effectively and hit lead up targets in the middle of true ground. Sounds small but I think it’s a big step towards maturity

They tried Finlayson forward, and he was all at sea. A lot rests on HH this year, he is at present our only high marking forward. It may be Lobb we miss more this year than Scully or Shiel. Height advantage for marking crucial. Jezza always struggles a bit against the Crows, he can't get any separation which is what he needs. His overhead pack-marking is a little iffy. (He also seems to have shed a few kegs).
Crows were big strong and fit.
As regards the 6-6-6 rule, ruck wins at the centre bounce take on extra worth, so Gawn, Grundy etc will dominate, and those teams with ineffectual ruckman will suffer. Where do the Giants sit?

Crows won clearances 39-26. That’s mostly about personnel I would think.

Giants missing most of their starting midfield
- Mumford
- Kelly
- Ward
- Hopper

(And Williams)

Would expect those numbers to turn around with equivalent injury lists.

Not good to be starting out 2019 as 2018 ended - with injuries.

Crows had by far the better of the transition game I thought. Crows switches of play looked likely every time.

Agree with Danny88 that Giants were a little better at that kicking through a zone game. Still a weakness compared to other top teams. Crows are very good at setting up to defend those plays.

Overall more negative than positive. With a full complement it will be a close game.

Sam Taylor by the way, how good is he for a second year player.

Perryman is strong over the ball and uses it really well. Tracking really well.

Taranto I thought was a bit careless with his kicking. Right now I would take 20 Perryman possessions ahead of 25 Taranto possessions.

Lloyd becoming a handy mid size forward. Love players who work and get better every week.

Coniglio the heart and soul around the contest. Whitfield is a one man defence to attack connector.

Finlayson looked lost. Doesn’t have Lloyd’s energy. Probably heading for NEAFL.

Himmelberg I would like to see more from. He’s a well rounded player without having any one jaw dropping talent. Perhaps he just needs to get to more contests. Need someone like him to take over a game in order to bust through the Crows zone.

HH has been very poor kicking for goal this year. It's probably sapping his confidence and reinforcing the problem. Jezza has been great around the field, and one of the better deliverers into the F50, but therefore hasn't been there to receive! He's also not at his goalkicking best. Toby back will help our structure up front - but we need to do better than the bombing into F50 we did last Friday. I think Dan Lloyd has confirmed a starting spot with his two JLT performances. I still have no idea who the back up ruck will be - Flynn didn't really make that much of an impression. However, unless we're happy to go with Tommo as the backup (OK last year, but this year with the new rules?), we don''t have too many options other than Flynn.

Tommo seemed to spend a reasonable amount of his time on the wing, and perhaps will play a utility role this year. I thought Cumming was pretty good - it remains to be seen if he can make the transition into first grade if/when he gets a chance. The backline overall was fairly good in defence, but apart from Lachie I thought they struggled to transition into attack. Of course, that wasn't helped by us having the fumbles most of the night. The transition into attack will be helped by Zac returning. Lachie Keeffe had a lot more time on ground than Buntine, so I wonder if Keeffe will get the second KPD role pushing Sam Taylor to a looser role. Not sure if Matt Buntine will feature in the round 1 team.

I agree with Kulak's summation on the midfield - the loss of 3 main mids saw us towelled up in clearances; hopefully Hopper and Kelly are available round 1 or we'll be in trouble. Bonar got a fair amount of ball, but struggled to break free and more often than not was tackled with the ball - so some work needed there despite how strong a bloke he looks. Hately and Caldwell were OK, but will be first year players and need time to develop. Perryman was in and out of the game, but strong enough to get a guernsey with Ward out IMHO.

HH has been very poor kicking for goal this year. It's probably sapping his confidence and reinforcing the problem. Jezza has been great around the field, and one of the better deliverers into the F50, but therefore hasn't been there to receive! He's also not at his goalkicking best. Toby back will help our structure up front - but we need to do better than the bombing into F50 we did last Friday. I think Dan Lloyd has confirmed a starting spot with his two JLT performances. I still have no idea who the back up ruck will be - Flynn didn't really make that much of an impression. However, unless we're happy to go with Tommo as the backup (OK last year, but this year with the new rules?), we don''t have too many options other than Flynn.

Tommo seemed to spend a reasonable amount of his time on the wing, and perhaps will play a utility role this year. I thought Cumming was pretty good - it remains to be seen if he can make the transition into first grade if/when he gets a chance. The backline overall was fairly good in defence, but apart from Lachie I thought they struggled to transition into attack. Of course, that wasn't helped by us having the fumbles most of the night. The transition into attack will be helped by Zac returning. Lachie Keeffe had a lot more time on ground than Buntine, so I wonder if Keeffe will get the second KPD role pushing Sam Taylor to a looser role. Not sure if Matt Buntine will feature in the round 1 team.

I agree with Kulak's summation on the midfield - the loss of 3 main mids saw us towelled up in clearances; hopefully Hopper and Kelly are available round 1 or we'll be in trouble. Bonar got a fair amount of ball, but struggled to break free and more often than not was tackled with the ball - so some work needed there despite how strong a bloke he looks. Hately and Caldwell were OK, but will be first year players and need time to develop. Perryman was in and out of the game, but strong enough to get a guernsey with Ward out IMHO.
Like last year(s) if we still have bottom 4 conversion rates it won't matter if we have a Ferrari midfield. It is completely deflating to see players miss easy goals. It makes the team look amateur no matter how good it is elsewhere . Cameron could be clunking everything , running 20km, making 10 tackles but if he doesn't kick easy goals he won't look good . Same with others .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back