Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn Tom Scully. Congratulations for finally making it onto an AFL list!

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 22, 2007
Torquay
AFL Club
Hawthorn
To get him for a free hit trade wise, because he's a FA?

Geez, that list managment team at GWS are giant dumbasses.
They let us have Scully cheap because we're going to steal Cogs off them next year?
Don't let the fact Cog is a free agent stop you from wearing that tin foil hat!

Gee, cause maybe like Dangerfield (and unlike Franklin) he's told the clubs involved he won't walk for nothing, or, as is Hawthorns way, we don't normally try to bend teams over in a trade just to be seen as a winner, or possibly there are even more reasons why GWS were accommodating on this particular trade, but I'm sure you three know what the story is :rolleyes:

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gee, cause maybe like Dangerfield (and unlike Franklin) he's told the clubs involved he won't walk for nothing, or, as is Hawthorns way, we don't normally try to bend teams over in a trade just to be seen as a winner, or possibly there are even more reasons why GWS were accommodating on this particular trade, but I'm sure you three know what the story is :rolleyes:

We won't be trading for Coniglio, they will be compensated by the AFL should he choose to leave.

If we didn't match for Buddy then there's no way we're trading for a FA.

If we massively front load any potential contact for him, they wouldn't be able to match anyway.

Why would we want to trade and help the plastics out anyway?

They've been given enough, it's time we all took our pound of flesh from the f@#kers.

Aug 16, 2009
Right behind you!
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We won't be trading for Coniglio, they will be compensated by the AFL should he choose to leave.

If we massively front load any potential contact for him, they wouldn't be able to match anyway.

They've been given enough, it's time we all took our pound of flesh from the f@#kers.
That you Dodoro?

That attitude makes you pay 2 first rounders for Dylan Shiel!

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Wright and Coniglio’s manager will have already planned out the contract should he have chosen us already.

I fully expect him to announce that contract negotiations are on hold until post season soon. Then you’ll know.

I don’t think we can trade for Cogs.

Don’t we have t use our 1st Rounder in the Draft to meet that 1-in-4 rule? We can’t pay what he’s worth with players, without it being counter-productive.

COKEandCOLA

Club Legend
Feb 23, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t think we can trade for Cogs.

Don’t we have t use our 1st Rounder in the Draft to meet that 1-in-4 rule? We can’t pay what he’s worth with players, without it being counter-productive.

Doesn't that rule come into effect this year though?

I could be wrong, but if this is the case then wouldn't it have ruled clubs out of trading future first rounders last year?

Would it also in theory mean that no clubs would be able to trade a first this year?

My understanding was that the first of the four year blocks, in which clubs need to use a first rounder, starts this year.

Meaning that they must use at least one between the 2019 and 2022 drafts.

Like I said though, I could very well be wrong.

Does anyone here know how it'll be implemented?

I tried finding some reference material online, but was unable to find anything.

Dec 22, 2007
Torquay
AFL Club
Hawthorn

You know Lynch was a free agent right? Yet some steak knives Richmond players went to the Suns. I wonder why....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Dangerfield was a free agent... oh forget it, you should take this up full time, you're good at it.

Gee, cause maybe like Dangerfield (and unlike Franklin) he's told the clubs involved he won't walk for nothing,:

Dangetfield had nothing to do with it. The Crows said they would match any deal to force Geelong to trade for him, so that's what happened.

The player doesn't decide if the clubs will strike a deal, the contract offered decides that.

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Why are you getting all emotional?

It doesn't make sense to me why GWS would give us Scully for basically nothing in a trade as part of an agreement for us to also take Cogs from the next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, didn't happen like that, it was a mutual decision.
You don't know what you're talking about, sorry...

The mutual decision was between Geelong and Adelaide, not Dangerfield

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Zero chance for round 1.

Round 5-8 would be an incredible result if that could occur.
That's being very conservative if he is up and running for match simulation now. I'd say a month of good solid conditioning plus some VFL matches should get him right to go by Easter Monday as has been suggested. He hasn't been doing nothing for 6 months.

tige19

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That's being very conservative if he is up and running for match simulation now. I'd say a month of good solid conditioning plus some VFL matches should get him right to go by Easter Monday as has been suggested. He hasn't been doing nothing for 6 months.

I was under the impression he would be back round 8-12.. but if he has jumped into match simulation with more likely scheduled this week, I’d assume he’ll play 2 weeks in the VFL before making his debut maybe round 3-4? He isn’t the type to really need a ton of games, he is elite fit as it is.

Updates have been positive

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was under the impression he would be back round 8-12.. but if he has jumped into match simulation with more likely scheduled this week, I’d assume he’ll play 2 weeks in the VFL before making his debut maybe round 3-4? He isn’t the type to really need a ton of games, he is elite fit as it is.

Updates have been positive
You can be conservative but at some point you have to bite the bullet and test him out under match conditions if he is right to go. I usually agree with the hawthorn way of maintenance of the players but for someone like scully as you said he has kept himself active while on hiatus from the game from all reports and isn't as far back as once thought. The longer he doesn't play the less chance he has of having an impact for us this season. You always have to think of the long term with these things but he is has already spent a year out of the game.

Reckon we’ll see him at Box Hill for at least 3-4 weeks before he is considered for seniors.

Not that I’m adamantly against the idea, it what would you be looking for out of the BHH matches? Just a bit of extra touch? Learning game plan? Not sure how much he has to gain from playing there.

That being said, I can’t recall when his last AFL match was? Last third of last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back