2nds Northern Blues 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Summaries

Goddard: Was very impressive in one on one contests. Was able to get a spoil on pretty much everything. Comprehensively beat his opponent, however, in saying that, the conditions would have helped because it wasn't a great day to be a forward. He did drop a few marks that I would expect him to take. He's definitely worth persisting with. His decision making is relatively sound, just needs to improve his marking, kicking and running. Hopefully continuity will allow him to take his game to the next level.

JSOS: He was very good all day. His skills look a class above when playing VFL. I can see him developing into a similar player to Setterfield. Mid/forward utility appears to be his best position. His attack on the ball and defensive pressure was second to none. Was always throwing his body around and physical in the contest.

O'brien: He was playing wing but the problem was the ball was often on the opposite side of the ground. There's clearly a team structure that makes him hold his position for the switch, so if the ball doesn't switch to the other side of the ground, there's nothing he can do about it. I noticed there were a couple of quarters where he'd be on the ground for 10 mins or so and he and his opponent would have to ball watch as the play was stuck on the opposite boundary.

Despite these limitations, his performance really impressed me today because the possessions he did get were predominately in the contest. They weren't pretty possessions by any means, but he showed he was willing to put his body on the line when it was his turn to go. He wasn't able to damage the opposition by foot today, but I feel that he's progressing his game to a new level with the amount of ball he won in congestion. His progress and development is very promising.

Fasolo: Defensive pressure was excellent. Looks like the message to Fasolo was if you want to play in the 1's, you need to tackle and pressure. He certainly did that today. He was never going to kick a bag today because the conditions weren't conducive to high scoring. The ball was often kicked on top of his head, competing with a larger opponent in the air. He was able to half contests that he was never going to win, as well as pressure the kicker as the ball transitioned out of our forward line.

Schumacher: Was very good defensively. Is showing good signs for a second year player.

TDK: Started well but went off the ground after receiving a big knock.

Sam Fisher should be given our last spot on the list. He's clean in the contest and knows how to find his own ball. I'm not sure why we're overlooking him. Maybe we're concerned about his speed or agility? I don't have access to that data but he certainly passes the eye test.

I went there wanting to track the progress of Goddard, JSOS, O'brien, Fasolo and TDK. Tried to track a limited number of players as comprehensively as as I could.

Feel free to ask further questions on other players. I might not be able to help but I might have some tidbits for Carlton supporters.

Tricky conditions with rain that came during second quarter and last until third quarter

Effort was good and most had a real crack. Didn’t concentrate much on Pies side but they had some good players like Reid Quaynor Thomas Brown etc

Our players

Goddard. Very good. Big man. Beat Reid easily and took number of good marks in defence. His kicking is good as well. Should get better but a good game. Lots of leadership as well and talk well at breaks

Jack. Great game. In the middle and in everything. I don’t know stats for day but would have had a lot of contested possessions. Kicking iffy but if concentrated on feeding it out by hand is very creative. Tough as well and laid a lot of tackles. Best I have seen from him. Question is will it translate to senior footy but lots of positives

Fasolo. All class and did a lot of smart things. Played mostly forward with odd burst in middle. Leads well from FF and find space. Classy ball user. Looked a class above but doesn’t look 100% yet. Be interesting if picked for round one but will be bonus when ready

Schumacher. Best game I have seen from him. Maybe the green boots helped him stand out. Almost a Willo clone. Reads the ball well, beat his opponent and his kicking and ball use was very good. You could see his confidence rise as game progressed. Looks so much fitter than last year. Positive signs

Lobbe. Just a good solid ruck game. Smart player that does his job. Team player

O’Brien. Tough day. Played wing and struggled to find it. When he did he was okay but made some bad mistakes. Issue is confidence with contested ball. It will come but still raw. Gut feel is trying too hard. Needs to get back to natural game.

Casboult. Defence in first half. Forward in second half. Bit of Ruck. Worked hard and did some good stuff. Nice game. Good VFL player and handy AFL back up is my assessment

Finbar. Not a lot but some nice touches. Skinny but some good signs. Long term

VFL Guys

Fisher. Class above and AFL standard easily. Better than many on our list. Finds it, great kick, elite left foot and has time. IMO I would have picked him above Cottrell.

Blakey. Just a good small defender. Another who could easily step up and what we need. I’m a fan. Just does what he has to do and the basics so well.

Brazer. Likely type. Showed something worth watching.

BSOS Dow Curnow Charlie were all there. Saw Collins and O’Rourke. All coaches plus Walls SOS Lloyd were there

Quick chat with Barker and he said Stocker will get a taste tomorrow. Worked hard and earned it

Lots of positives for a pre season VFL game

Any questions let me know as I’ve missed a heap

Please excuse grammar spelling but typing on phone without glasses

Go Blues
Player Summaries

Goddard: Was very impressive in one on one contests. Was able to get a spoil on pretty much everything. Comprehensively beat his opponent, however, in saying that, the conditions would have helped because it wasn't a great day to be a forward. He did drop a few marks that I would expect him to take. He's definitely worth persisting with. His decision making is relatively sound, just needs to improve his marking, kicking and running. Hopefully continuity will allow him to take his game to the next level.

JSOS: He was very good all day. His skills look a class above when playing VFL. I can see him developing into a similar player to Setterfield. Mid/forward utility appears to be his best position. His attack on the ball and defensive pressure was second to none. Was always throwing his body around and physical in the contest.

O'brien: He was playing wing but the problem was the ball was often on the opposite side of the ground. There's clearly a team structure that makes him hold his position for the switch, so if the ball doesn't switch to the other side of the ground, there's nothing he can do about it. I noticed there were a couple of quarters where he'd be on the ground for 10 mins or so and he and his opponent would have to ball watch as the play was stuck on the opposite boundary.

Despite these limitations, his performance really impressed me today because the possessions he did get were predominately in the contest. They weren't pretty possessions by any means, but he showed he was willing to put his body on the line when it was his turn to go. He wasn't able to damage the opposition by foot today, but I feel that he's progressing his game to a new level with the amount of ball he won in congestion. His progress and development is very promising.

Fasolo: Defensive pressure was excellent. Looks like the message to Fasolo was if you want to play in the 1's, you need to tackle and pressure. He certainly did that today. He was never going to kick a bag today because the conditions weren't conducive to high scoring. The ball was often kicked on top of his head, competing with a larger opponent in the air. He was able to half contests that he was never going to win, as well as pressure the kicker as the ball transitioned out of our forward line.

Schumacher: Was very good defensively. Is showing good signs for a second year player.

Sam Fisher should be given our last spot on the list. He's clean in the contest and knows how to find his own ball. I'm not sure why we're overlooking him. Maybe we're concerned about his speed or agility? I don't have access to that data but he certainly passes the eye test.

I went there wanting to track the progress of Goddard, JSOS, O'brien, Fasolo and TDK. Tried to track a limited number of players as comprehensively as as I could.

Feel free to ask further questions on other players. I might not be able to help but I might have some tidbits for Carlton supporters.

Awesome write up guys really appreciate the time and effort it took to get that to the masses :)

Edit: Said it before, for us people that are miles away from the action, the personal time you take to inject your opinions is invaluable to us. Its so bloody hard for me a (WA person) to feel part of the club but reading this makes at least me feel like we are still involved.

Please don't ever think your reports are unappreciated :)

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

These Fasolo reports are very encouraging.

I'd be very tempted to put him in round 1, after some tough match sims in the interim. Let's go Russell, get him ready.

Fasolo will be a very good player for us.

What he showed today suggests he can return to peak form.

He was classy on a wet day and ferocious at the contest. Tackled with intent!

We picked up three quality mids via draft/recruitment last year.
Keep all the guys on the park and as funny it may seem, we don't really need mids anywhere near as much any more.
There are much more pressing positions we need to sure up just yet and don't think the Fisher I watched last year, would have really helped us much, at all.

IMO Fisher would be awesome off HB

Player Summaries

Great report from you and Soapy.
I'd like to know what you thought of Finbar's game today. I thought he showed good signs last week.

May depend how Gibbons Cuningham play tomorrow?

Honestly feel that we should play Fasolo, Gibbons and Cuningham in the same forward line.

Cuningham Charlie Gibbons
Fasolo McKay McGovern

Provides good balance between talls and smalls.

Also means we're less likely to be too top heavy if we have a midfielder such as Cripps or Setterfield resting forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tricky conditions with rain that came during second quarter and last until third quarter

Effort was good and most had a real crack. Didn’t concentrate much on Pies side but they had some good players like Reid Quaynor Thomas Brown etc

Our players

Goddard. Very good. Big man. Beat Reid easily and took number of good marks in defence. His kicking is good as well. Should get better but a good game. Lots of leadership as well and talk well at breaks

Jack. Great game. In the middle and in everything. I don’t know stats for day but would have had a lot of contested possessions. Kicking iffy but if concentrated on feeding it out by hand is very creative. Tough as well and laid a lot of tackles. Best I have seen from him. Question is will it translate to senior footy but lots of positives

Fasolo. All class and did a lot of smart things. Played mostly forward with odd burst in middle. Leads well from FF and find space. Classy ball user. Looked a class above but doesn’t look 100% yet. Be interesting if picked for round one but will be bonus when ready

Schumacher. Best game I have seen from him. Maybe the green boots helped him stand out. Almost a Willo clone. Reads the ball well, beat his opponent and his kicking and ball use was very good. You could see his confidence rise as game progressed. Looks so much fitter than last year. Positive signs

Lobbe. Just a good solid ruck game. Smart player that does his job. Team player

O’Brien. Tough day. Played wing and struggled to find it. When he did he was okay but made some bad mistakes. Issue is confidence with contested ball. It will come but still raw. Gut feel is trying too hard. Needs to get back to natural game.

Casboult. Defence in first half. Forward in second half. Bit of Ruck. Worked hard and did some good stuff. Nice game. Good VFL player and handy AFL back up is my assessment

Finbar. Not a lot but some nice touches. Skinny but some good signs. Long term

TDK. Started in the ruck then was off within 10-15 minutes. Don't know why bit was walking around with no worries later?

VFL Guys

Fisher. Class above and AFL standard easily. Better than many on our list. Finds it, great kick, elite left foot and has time. IMO I would have picked him above Cottrell.

Blakey. Just a good small defender. Another who could easily step up and what we need. I’m a fan. Just does what he has to do and the basics so well.

Brazer. Likely type. Showed something worth watching.

BSOS Dow Curnow Charlie were all there. Saw Collins and O’Rourke. All coaches plus Walls SOS Lloyd were there

Quick chat with Barker and he said Stocker will get a taste tomorrow. Worked hard and earned it

Lots of positives for a pre season VFL game

Any questions let me know as I’ve missed a heap

Please excuse grammar spelling but typing on phone without glasses

Go Blues
Would love to like it twice but thanks soapy. Could TDK be in for tomorrow for a half is he was pulled out today.

Player Summaries

Thanks Eiffel, great summary :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Would love to like it twice but thanks soapy. Could TDK be in for tomorrow for a half is he was pulled out today.

Honestly don't know. Played 15 minutes? then off. Didn't see why, Maybe hurt or maybe someone pulled out tomorrow? Time will tell.

I saw him in civies later and he looked fine

Great report from you and Soapy.
I'd like to know what you thought of Finbar's game today. I thought he showed good signs last week.

He was quiet today. Applied pressure around the contest. Wasn't the best day for him to get involved. Ball movement from both sides wasn't great for forwards.

What I did notice was that he's agile for his size and got a bit of zip about him.

His contested game will develop in time, but I reckon he'll build his game around his running. Has the ability to create separation between him and his opponent.

Will take time to develop as all talls do, but he has definitely got AFL traits.

Could get a run if Charlie is still sore

Saw Charlie today. Hard to tell but walking around without issue. Funny seeing Ed riding old 10 speed bike with baby in back and both wearing bright blue helmets. He stopped and chatted to a few people whilst doing laps. Every time he stopped baby kept telling him to keep going. Must be hereditary. Very funny

Remove this Banner Ad

Back