Oppo Camp How do you feel about Daisy now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on BW.
In 2017, (or was it late 2016?) we heard there was someone putting together a ticket to challenge Ed.
Lo and behold that same person is commissioned to do the review in 2017.
Stability ensues in 2018.
In 2019 "the challenger" is appointed to the board.
Maybe the succession plan is already in place?
Great points Anzac.
You were on the internet board that had a member who was seriously considering a shot.
Lo an behold, Ed contacted him and basically talked him out of it on the “stability” argument.
Ed hasn’t got a succession plan, just a plan to stop his position being challenged.

When he is up for election the members will decide.
Perhaps you should buy one?
It’s good that you remember my stance on druggies and my refusal to renew until our club is clear of them.
Ed oversaw the retention of the druggies, and now we have another.
All on his watch.
Another black mark against Ed.
Thanks for prompting me to remind the membership.

Jmac you are correct and you have made this point before. Members decide.

The members vote. (I actually remember voting 1989.)

If nobody stands well that just good positioning by Ed and his committee.
Any eligible member can stand for elections. That simple.

Whilst I’m more in the boat, very long tenure of committee members can lead to staleness and problems, it’s still up to people to stand.

At least with Ed, can never accuse him of lack of energy, focus and direction. Plus he does keep the peace in the club.

But if somebody wats to stand, let them stand, then we can make a decision accordingly.
I know of two people who Ed made sure they wouldn’t run against him.
But that’s not a bother to you is it?

And there it is.
The stock answer always put up by those who simply dont understand that it’s not about me.
Actually no body thinks about you.

I know of two people who Ed made sure they wouldn’t run against him.
But that’s not a bother to you is it?
Lol.
If they didn’t run they didn’t run.
Ed can do anything legal to position himself.
If no body runs, cry to grandma.

Great points Anzac.
You were on the internet board that had a member who was seriously considering a shot.
Lo an behold, Ed contacted him and basically talked him out of it on the “stability” argument.
Ed hasn’t got a succession plan, just a plan to stop his position being challenged.

If Ed was able to talk him out if it, then that directly reflects how serious the challenge actually was.

If there is a serious person/group who actually think that they can do a better job of running this club than Ed and the current board, have the right expertise, knowledge and skills to do so, and have a well thought out vision and plan, and are professional in their approach - then by all means, bring it to the board/agm/members.

Posting on internet forums thinking that that in any way makes you suited to the job, is completely not it.

And there it is.
The stock answer always put up by those who simply dont understand that it’s not about me.

There it is indeed.

Either put up or shut up. Standard response. We all know that McGuire has stacked the deck in his favour. He can't be challenged and if there is an inkling of a creditable challenge, he uses his considerable power/influence to snuff it out. Some would say kudos to him notwithstanding his record of 1/20.

As for the non remuneration angle, give me a spell. He indirectly earns plenty out of being Collingwood Pres. And therein is a reason why many qualified candidates don't challenge. They run/own successful businesses and or are high paid professionals that do not benefit from being in a high profile position of Collingwood Pres ie they don't run/own media enterprises. Hence they don't have the time to take on a non-paying position. McGuire does because his media interests are inextricably linked to his Collingwood presidency. And hence, I don't see him going anywhere in a hurry. Does anybody really believe that McGuire has it in his makeup to self reflect and come to the conclusion that it might be time to hand the reins over to someone else?

I think two people are a match made in heaven.

Collingwood Board - bringing people together.

Love will out.

There it is indeed.

Either put up or shut up. Standard response. We all know that McGuire has stacked the deck in his favour. He can't be challenged and if there is an inkling of a creditable challenge, he uses his considerable power/influence to snuff it out. Some would say kudos to him notwithstanding his record of 1/20.

As for the non remuneration angle, give me a spell. He indirectly earns plenty out of being Collingwood Pres. And therein is a reason why many qualified candidates don't challenge. They run/own successful businesses and or are high paid professionals that do not benefit from being in a high profile position of Collingwood Pres ie they don't run/own media enterprises. Hence they don't have the time to take on a non-paying position. McGuire does because his media interests are inextricably linked to his Collingwood presidency. And hence, I don't see him going anywhere in a hurry. Does anybody really believe that McGuire has it in his makeup to self reflect and come to the conclusion that it might be time to hand the reins over to someone else?
Interesting choice of words.

How's that Jono Brown/Eddie link going?

Had a search on google and couldn't find anything close to your claim.

There it is indeed.

Your points are contradictory.
So which is it: that no other party thinks its worth their while (financially) in making a challenge? Or that there are plenty of people wanting to challenge, but Eddie keeps "snuffing them out".

It is very simple really (being facetious). If another party wants to make a serious challenge - go ahead. Eddie can't legally stop you. If you can get the right skills and expertise together, and can come up with a very good platform to go forward with, then you can start looking for backing. I'm sure there are elements in the media (obviously non-channel 9) that would jump at the chance to stir up more controversy at the Pies, if they thought a bid was good enough to warrant attention.

I wouldn't put it in the hands of the Collingwood faithful to vote Ed out. Please!

Then how else do you propose it happen? A military coup?
If a president with, as you point out, a record of 1 flag in 20 years, has the degree of support that he clearly has - surely that means something? Surely that means that plenty of people can see the massive difference he has made for this club.
---

And yes, he's far from perfect. And yes, his time as president will have to finish someday. But until there's a serious alternate option that is clearly better (or good enough to argue their case) - I don't see that changing anytime soon. (unless Ed himself decides to step down).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting choice of words.

How's that Jono Brown/Eddie link going?

Had a search on google and couldn't find anything close to your claim.

Yes I understand that you are struggling to find it as my mail didn't reach the public domain but naturally I don't expect you to take that on face value.

Your points are contradictory.
So which is it: that no other party thinks its worth their while (financially) in making a challenge? Or that there are plenty of people wanting to challenge, but Eddie keeps "snuffing them out".

It is very simple really (being facetious). If another party wants to make a serious challenge - go ahead. Eddie can't legally stop you. If you can get the right skills and expertise together, and can come up with a very good platform to go forward with, then you can start looking for backing. I'm sure there are elements in the media (obviously non-channel 9) that would jump at the chance to stir up more controversy at the Pies, if they thought a bid was good enough to warrant attention.

Then how else do you propose it happen? A military coup?
I

And yes, he's far from perfect. And yes, his time as president will have to finish someday. But until there's a serious alternate option that is clearly better (or good enough to argue their case) - I don't see that changing anytime soon. (unless Ed himself decides to step down).

Appreciate your comments. Let me respond as follows:

(i) I suspect there are/have been other interested parties/challenges but ultimately I would also suspect that they have come to the conclusion that any challenge is like flogging a dead horse - no chance of getting up given the members love of the saviour giving him a huge starting competitive advantage. Furthermore, if nothing else, McGuire is street wise and would see a serious challenge coming from a mile away and use his considerable influence to kill it off.

(ii) Potential challengers are not in McGuire's unique position of being a high profile media owner/participant. The Collingwood Presidency is a natural and synergistic extension to McGuire's successful business interests. Not so with others who are in completely different/non-aligned industries making it more difficult to transition into the Presidency role whilst operating their businesses.

(iii) I wouldn't put it in the hands of the Collingwood faithful to vote him out - your response above confirms what I am saying - a 1/20 record with the massive competitive advantages that Collingwood has is an appalling return. But even so, as you say, the majority of members love what he has done for the club albeit his best work was some 10 plus years ago. Hence I wouldn't put my hard earned on a genuine challenger(s) getting up against McGuire. I can only imagine how McGuire would use his considerable influence/high profile to shoot the challenger(s) down not to mention appealing to the adoring member masses "he is a Broady boy".

Appreciate your comments. Let me respond as follows:

(i) I suspect there are/have been other interested parties/challenges but ultimately I would also suspect that they have come to the conclusion that any challenge is like flogging a dead horse - no chance of getting up given the members love of the saviour giving him a huge starting competitive advantage. Furthermore, if nothing else, McGuire is street wise and would see a serious challenge coming from a mile away and use his considerable influence to kill it off.

(ii) Potential challengers are not in McGuire's unique position of being a high profile media owner/participant. The Collingwood Presidency is a natural and synergistic extension to McGuire's successful business interests. Not so with others who are in completely different/non-aligned industries making it more difficult to transition into the Presidency role whilst operating their businesses.

(iii) I wouldn't put it in the hands of the Collingwood faithful to vote him out - your response above confirms what I am saying - a 1/20 record with the massive competitive advantages that Collingwood has is an appalling return. But even so, as you say, the majority of members love what he has done for the club albeit his best work was some 10 plus years ago. Hence I wouldn't put my hard earned on a genuine challenger(s) getting up against McGuire. I can only imagine how McGuire would use his considerable influence/high profile to shoot the challenger(s) down not to mention appealing to the adoring member masses "he is a Broady boy".

But don't you get it?

If no-one has the courage and backing to create a platform to challenge Eddie, and don't have the confidence to get the votes of the Collingwood members - the blame does not lie with Eddie. He is just doing his job. He is doing everything anyone would do in the same position.

As other's have said: Put up or shut up. Get together a good enough platform that you have confidence behind, to try to convince people in power that it is has a chance to at least make people take notice. If you can't do that - don't blame Eddie.

Don't complain about it on an internet forum.

But don't you get it?

If no-one has the courage and backing to create a platform to challenge Eddie, and don't have the confidence to get the votes of the Collingwood members - the blame does not lie with Eddie. He is just doing his job. He is doing everything anyone would do in the same position.

As other's have said: Put up or shut up. Get together a good enough platform that you have confidence behind, to try to convince people in power that it is has a chance to at least make people take notice. If you can't do that - don't blame Eddie.

Don't complain about it on an internet forum.

Fair enough

I am not the passionate supporter I once was (not that long ago I was) so my comments are now more purely observational. 20 years at the one club for one flag in a 16/18 team competition. As the Yanks say, you do the math. Personally I'm not overly fussed if McGuire and Co stay at Collingwood for another 10 years. My observation is more around do they deserve to and the dynamics of ongoing appointments. And issues such as accountability, conflict etc.

Good luck.

Goldsack and Callum throwing the ball at him pretty much sums up that w***er.

Goldsack and Callum throwing the ball at him pretty much sums up that w***er.
Missed the game, in what context did it happen. Thanks cfc

Always thought he was s flog when I saw him quickly pop into Grill on the Hill in Kew, go straight to a table full of the most dodge looking heavies, whisper into the main mans ear who apparently is a regular there, they then pop Outside exchange something ( couldn’t see ) points down the road then he disappears. Obviously not picking up takeaway

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Fair enough

I am not the passionate supporter I once was (not that long ago I was) so my comments are now more purely observational. 20 years at the one club for one flag in a 16/18 team competition. As the Yanks say, you do the math. Personally I'm not overly fussed if McGuire and Co stay at Collingwood for another 10 years. My observation is more around do they deserve to and the dynamics of ongoing appointments. And issues such as accountability, conflict etc.

Good luck.
My BS meter just blew up........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back