JLT2 vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon Nauhhtin could be our 'roll the dice' switcheroo player.

One point behind, after a goal? Throw Naughton fwd and Stack the mids with Bont, Libba, Macrae, etc.

Sincerely hope Naughton can become a gun back then fwd like T McDonald. But hope he learns back work first. Its exciting to see a Bulldogs KP take marks fwd though.
It will be interesting to see how we develop him. Pls dont screw it up, we have a diamond not a jack of all trades.

Am concerned about Bevo’s arrogance. We continue to play a zone type defence and opposition fwds have too much space and take easy marks against us.

Concerned he will gift games to Duryea and play favourites like he has over the pass 2 years. Game appears to be going backwards. Still to much hanballing backwards and poor forward set up. Agree long year ahead but you never know

Am concerned about Bevo’s arrogance. We continue to play a zone type defence and opposition fwds have too much space and take easy marks against us.

Concerned he will gift games to Duryea and play favourites like he has over the pass 2 years. Game appears to be going backwards. Still to much hanballing backwards and poor forward set up. Agree long year ahead but you never know

I think we are all still positive because we have the talented cattle but game plan and coaches are slightly killing us imo.

Are we fair dinkum writing off our season on the back of two JLT losses ?
****, there’s some genuine nuff nuffs on this board.
I’m actually embarrassed for some of you. Seriously.

I wasn't confident pre JLT. The whole no fwd line and ordinary ruck thing has me spooked, I guess.

No need to be embarrassed for me though.

Still think this is our best fwd line:

Lloyd Gowers Smith
Wallis Schache Dickson

Really needed to have a look at Cavarra. Did he even play vfl today?
I dont like smith rnd 1. Give him some time at vfl which is a step up from u18 he was playing 6 months ago. He has shown these two games that he isnt quite picking up the pace of the game.

And by the way, bont didn't play round 1 year 1 if i recall correctly.

Although it's JLT these two things that plagued us last year which I was hoping they would be addressed seems to still be present.

1. Slow starts, we are playing catch up football half way through the first qtr. We seem to come out of the rooms like we are about to go for a stroll in the park.
2. Our inability to stop the opposition scoring 3 plus goals in succession. Sorry to say this is coaching we should have a structure in place to stop teams getting a run on.

I dont like smith rnd 1. Give him some time at vfl which is a step up from u18 he was playing 6 months ago. He has shown these two games that he isnt quite picking up the pace of the game.

Anyone that has Smith in the team round 1 after those two JLT games has no idea to be kind.

He is a kid but i was a little underwhelmed with his games.

He is a fair way off senior footy at the moment but he is only a kid so has time

Not a big fan of his ball use through the middle. Starting to think a lot of our forward issues stem from the midfield. He's too good to leave out of the side but I'm starting to think I'd prefer Richards/Maclean getting the ball in space on a wing 18-25 times than Hunter getting it 40.

I agree about Hunter in the middle but the coaching group clearly love his work.

Yeah that’s fair imo

I wasn't confident pre JLT. The whole no fwd line and ordinary ruck thing has me spooked, I guess.

No need to be embarrassed for me though.

Yeah we should ignore the fact that we clearly still have the same issues as we have for two years and just cross our fingers that will disappear before round 1.

But be positive mate coz that’s actually helps the fairies and their magic luck dust

This year has convinced me the JLT is meaningless. The old preseason cup was at least knock out and you had something to play for. This is just genuine circle work and the February/March champions. This is the first year where I haven't watched or wanted to watch a second of JLT. Win, lose or draw, I don't care. I reckon a lot of people are with me as well.

We improved our Kick to Handball ratio from (-19) to (-8), although I would love some statistics from
the 3rd quarter. One accumulating handballer is normal, but willingly creating more is plain stupid
unless of course you are aiming for a disconnect and disfunction. Naughton went alright would be
good for a half dozen in a team with reasonable efficiency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lose both games of the JLT = it means nothing, who cares it’s just a practice game

Win both games = the boys are up and about this year has started so well, great to get wins early against real opposition

Ahhhhhh never change BF never change

This year has convinced me the JLT is meaningless. The old preseason cup was at least knock out and you had something to play for. This is just genuine circle work and the February/March champions. This is the first year where I haven't watched or wanted to watch a second of JLT. Win, lose or draw, I don't care. I reckon a lot of people are with me as well.

There are posters on here who agree with you and then there are posters who think we gave the JLT 110% and we are winning the spoon because of the results. I’d be happy with couple intra club games and one game against opposition.

Watching StKilda today I could actually understand what they were trying to do. I could see some semblance of a game plan: honour the leadup player around the flanks and through the centre and create space in the forward line for forwards to lead into. Our method, however is baffling. Is it try to use multiple handballs through the corridor and hopefully kick the ball to a wide leading forward? Mind you, I've pretty much felt the same way for the past two seasons about our method so nothing's new really. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the intent of our game plan could enlighten me because most of the time I just see a jumbled mess.

Watching StKilda today I could actually understand what they were trying to do. I could see some semblance of a game plan: honour the leadup player around the flanks and through the centre and create space in the forward line for forwards to lead into. Our method, however is baffling. Is it try to use multiple handballs through the corridor and hopefully kick the ball to a wide leading forward? Mind you, I've pretty much felt the same way for the past two seasons about our method so nothing's new really. Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the intent of our game plan could enlighten me because most of the time I just see a jumbled mess.

We attempt to move the ball with speed through the corridor and then pin point a target forward OR we also try to push right up and break with speed over the back.

So two styles that aren’t hard to see or define of done well. They need speed, accurate kicking and bravery. But we are slow, inaccurate and sacred to try and it’s only pre season.

To my eye we have made my structural changes to 2017-18 only personal. Which tells me the coaching staff either have no idea or think it’s still 2016.

Either way it’s far from promising

not sure what to make out of that game
- defense still gives up far too easy goals - from att 50. coast to coast goals
- defenders in wood, cordy are suspect
- we dont appear to be slick with our hands anymore. fumbly
- kicking is bad all round

- too many accumulators and not enough damaging players.
- playing too many mids (accumulators) hurts team balance

our tackling is subpar and we are far too slow to close down players.

naughton looked pretty good i thought
as did lloyd again. shaq wasnt too bad

i want to see dicko and maybe cavarra play round 1.

its only jlt but

Result means nothing my biggest disappointment is like when buying real estate most important is location, location, location in football it is disposal, disposal, disposal and our foot skills are very average. Add poor decision making and we have lot to work on.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back