Preview JLT 2: Fremantle vs West Coast. Sunday 4:10pm @ Rushton Park.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
I wasn't a fan of the Matera trade at the time, and he's done nothing to change my mind. A small forward needs to be opportunistic when the time comes and he butchers so many involvements.

Unfortunately the Colyer trade is looking similar, if not worse.
It's starting to look like if you're from WA and you want to come home, then we'll trade for you, whether there's a need or not. The other three from last year - all good trades. Year before - Hamling tick, Wilson tick, Matera - he's gone backwards, and Kersten... ummm why (apart from he's Hammer's BF).

They need to be more strategic with who they're trading for. Were they worried the weags were going to get in first? And what?

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Switta and Schultz. Plus Matera by trade too.

F**k knows what they saw in Colyer but I guess you could argue him too maybe?

They clearly haven't ignored the need for small forwards in the team.
Right. Two blokes who don't play and a dude who was dropped to Peel.

You're not helping restore my faith in the List Manager.

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I love the “sack the fitness staff” comments. Makes me giggle. I’m sure if Cox didn’t hurt his hand last week, he certainly wouldn’t have done a hammy today. Hahaha.

Keep giggling like an idiot at the list of soft tissue injuries that is twice as long as the next worst club.

I guess you believe Switkovski injured his mouth last week? Cox copped a big knock to his leg and was hobbling around afterwards. Should have been taken out of the game last week and was clearly mismanaged this week.

Chaseton

All Australian
Mar 24, 2018
Actually on the map unlike West Coast
AFL Club
Melbourne
We don't look like much chop this pre season, it is only pre season but the signs are bad. Fumbling everything, struggling to take basic marks, kicking the ball on top of the forwards head nearly every time, running into congestion yet again, poor accuracy for goals and hitting targets. The skills look worse than every other club, no work rate after 20 minutes of footy. Very concerning.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers

That's wasn't the argument I was replying to though. It was whether the penny had dropped at Freo that small forwards were important.

Sep 8, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GWS
I'm not normally a pessimist with Freo but I feel like I have turned a blind eye for too long regarding the rotten support staff, skills, and team structure. We do well for the first quarter, hiding poor skills with immense pressure, but as soon as the opposition begins to mount that pressure back onto us or our players tire, everything goes to ****. It's like a bloody rotten shed, kick in the door and the whole thing collapses.
100% agree

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

_Scozza_

Draftee
Apr 25, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If I was Ross Lyon I would be considering not playing Wilson RD1. The new kick in rules were meant to make it easier for players to escape the forward 50 zones. Yet, Wilson turned it over twice from kick outs inside 50, giving West Coast two shots at goal. Wilson's disposal around the ground was also very average, not at the level we need and expect of him.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle

Should I list who WC and the Tigers have got in the same time?

Seriously, our club doesn’t get it. Schultz and Swita. With late picks. That’s it! Matera ain’t too bad a trade but he’s like treacle. Do we ever wonder why WC weren’t interested in him? Being a family name there and a son of one of their past players.

Sep 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
No worries bro. Save this chat for round 18. Let's have the same chat then when we are solid bottom of the ladder.

Talk then.

I am an inaugural member. I know how this season will turn out. I admire your confidence

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nah mate, I think you should keep the flexing and save it for next years JLT series.

JLT > Premiership Season

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
That's wasn't the argument I was replying to though. It was whether the penny had dropped at Freo that small forwards were important.

You think it has? 2 picks in 2 years. Both mature age, both late picks. Clearly a high priority. Have a look who the good clubs are targeting. Speed, skill and smarts.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
I love the “sack the fitness staff” comments. Makes me giggle. I’m sure if Cox didn’t hurt his hand last week, he certainly wouldn’t have done a hammy today. Hahaha.

Rubbish it was his hand. He. Got knocked on the inside of the leg. He would of been favoring one side. Leads to hamstring injuries.

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
You think it has? 2 picks in 2 years. Both mature age, both late picks. Clearly a high priority. Have a look who the good clubs are targeting. Speed, skill and smarts.

C'mon, one of the guys you were melting over the eagles picking up was a mature age mid-range pick too. One many laughed at on here due to the way one of our fringe players would blanket him in the WAFL every time they met. And the other one was pick 52 - clearly a high priority.

Drafting using the benefit of hindsight is easy though isn't it?

Small forwards aren't traditionally a position that clubs spend high draft picks on.

Last edited:

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
About what you'd expect with the premiers playing a bottom 4 team, which I suspect we will be again.

Really highlighted again the difference between a well coached team with a gameplan and our effort based hit it and hope method.
WC have classy, dangerous small forwards and we have Ballantyne and Matera who do not much of anything.
They hit up leads in the forward half and we hack it forward at any opportunity.

I doubt we'll see much of Sandi & Hill and nothing of Bennell this year so there isn't a lot to look forward to.
Just so many poorly skilled players out there.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
C'mon, one of the guys you were melting over the eagles picking up was a mature age mid-range pick too. One many laughed at on here due to the way one of our fringe players would blanket him in the WAFL every time they met. Judging using the benefit of hindsight is easy though isn't it?

Small forwards aren't traditionally a position that clubs spend high draft picks on.

One shouldn’t judge a draft pick by the opinions of Freo Bigfooty posters. WC obviously saw a need for speed and natural forward flair and went at him, with an earlyish pick. Took the risk on Rioli too. Because he had what they wanted, again, speed and natural forward flair. Both are working out just fine.

Venables is a medium forward that they went early on. Pettrucelle, the quickest of the lot, even though they had a few by then, went not much later. Waterman was a lucky father son.

And even after having all of those, they went and took Cameron.

The Tigers took Rioli and Higgins with first round picks. Shea Bolton with a second. Then have since stockpiled Butler, Graham, Baker, Castagna, based a game plan around it and won a flag.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
One shouldn’t judge a draft pick by the opinions of Freo Bigfooty posters. WC obviously saw a need for speed and natural forward flair and went at him, with an earlyish pick. Took the risk on Rioli too. Because he had what they wanted, again, speed and natural forward flair. Both are working out just fine.

Venables is a medium forward that they went early on. Pettrucelle, the quickest of the lot, even though they had a few by then, went not much later. Waterman was a lucky father son.

The Tigers took Rioli and Higgins with first round picks. Shea Bolton with a second. Then have since stockpiled Butler, Graham, Baker, Castagna, based a game plan around it and won a flag.
Great post. Highlights a big flaw in our drafting. We prefer forwards to chase and tackle than hit the scoreboard. The ones we have don't even do much of the latter past about 1/4 time. About the only exciting small to medium forward we've drafted Sturt is years away and will have to do a 3 year apprenticeship at half back by which time all the flair will have been knocked out of him.

E Shed

Fremantle Obsessive
Sep 10, 2006
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
You boys never fail to disappoint hey!!
What do you guys plan on doing during September out of interest ??
I think you're still allowed to watch football if the team you support isn't playing finals.
And really? You're team won a flag, looks like having another good year and you feel the need to come here and be a smartarse?
The words, get a life, come to mind.

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Cameron was an academy player.

Credit to them that the Ryan gamble paid off. I don't think many realise how extremely close that all went pear shaped though. Knowing what I know I am very glad we did not go down that path... the media would have treated us completely differently and revealed a bunch of stuff they haven't given he is at WCE.

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just looked at the summary and my God we got belted in key areas:

Clearances (27-55)
Centre clearances (5-18)
Inside 50’s (46-60)
Marks Inside 50 (6-19)

Those tell me our midfield got belted, which put so much pressure on our defenders who also played like shite. I don’t think Fyfe coming back fixes all of those issues.

Back