No Oppo Supporters General AFL Discussion #11 - Carlton Posters ONLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Higher stands and/or roof over pretty much every stadium used for the big dance. Doesn’t impact the game as much.

Not correct. But anyway.

We play cricket on the MCG in twighlight with a ball moving at 150kph. In fact we have always played cricket at the MCG in circumstances where not only half the ground, but half the pitch is on the sun/shade boundary. That seems to go alright too.

Even more. Cricket is a summer sport played in longer days. Sunset in Melbourne on GF day is 6:20PM. The sun moves at 15 degrees per hour, so at 5:20 the sun is 15 degrees above the horizon, which is well below the MCG stands. The whole ground is in shade.

People want a later start for their own reasons, that's fine. But the sun argument is factually incorrect and just plain silly. The truth is that the "traditional' start time is and always has been sun/shade affected. A twilight start would not be, because the whole ground is in shade.

Think of a better reason.

Not correct. But anyway.

We play cricket on the MCG in twighlight with a ball moving at 150kph. In fact we have always played cricket at the MCG in circumstances where not only half the ground, but half the pitch is on the sun/shade boundary. That seems to go alright too.

Even more. Sunset in Melbourne on GF day is 6:20PM. The sun moves at 15 degrees per hour, so at 5:20 the sun is 15 degrees above the horizon, which is well below the MCG stands. The whole ground is in shade.

People want a later start for their own reasons, that's fine. But the sun argument is factually incorrect and just plain silly.

a better reason for what?

Feb 6, 2013
Locker #5
AFL Club
Carlton
Not correct. But anyway.

Even more. Sunset in Melbourne on GF day is 6:20PM. The sun moves at 15 degrees per hour, so at 5:20 the sun is 15 degrees above the horizon, which is well below the MCG stands. The whole ground is in shade.

People want a later start for their own reasons, that's fine. But the sun argument is factually incorrect and just plain silly.

"America does it" is not a good reason. So we're back at square one with everyone having s**t reasons, eh.

passmark

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 26, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Friday NIGHT football is the best footy of the week and has been for me since they brought it in.

Saturday arvo dinosaurs still clutching their tattered duffel coats should pull their heads out of their clackers.

Put the game on at night IT IS BETTER!!

Happy Sunday. Now * off.

Friday NIGHT football is the best footy of the week and has been for me since they brought it in.

Saturday arvo dinosaurs still clutching their tattered duffel coats should pull their heads out of their clackers.

Happy Sunday. Now **** off.

giphy.gif

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Suddenly it's all clear.

Question: Why is night better.

Answer: IT IS BETTER!!!

I am convinced by the unarguable logic of this delightfully constructed case. I can't be sure if it was the upper case or the three exclamation marks which pushed me over the line of understanding.

Not correct. But anyway.

Even more. Cricket is a summer sport played in longer days. Sunset in Melbourne on GF day is 6:20PM. The sun moves at 15 degrees per hour, so at 5:20 the sun is 15 degrees above the horizon, which is well below the MCG stands. The whole ground is in shade.

People want a later start for their own reasons, that's fine. But the sun argument is factually incorrect and just plain silly. The truth is that the "traditional' start time is and always has been sun/shade affected. A twilight start would not be, because the whole ground is in shade.

All cricket pitches run North/South so the setting sun has bugger all impact on a ball released from just over head height from one end or the other.

Footballs are kicked from and to every direction at a height where the sun absolutely becomes an issue.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Friday night football is the best, because it’s Friday night. You’ve finished work for the week and can go to the game/watch on tv without eating into the rest of your weekend (Thursday night is my second favourite time slot).

It’s not the best for the football though. If you’re going to focus purely on the game, then Saturday afternoon is the best. It’s tradition, but not for tradition’s sake, rather because it is actually the best time for a game. And it’s definitely the best time for the Grand Final.

But if the AFL are hell-bent on changing it, do it properly and put it on at night. Twilight is a pathetic compromise with all of the negatives and none of the benefits.

Not sure how they’re going to manage opening the Members, either. Waiting in line until 8 am is bad enough, but if they’re going to shift it back for a twilight or night game it will be unbearable.

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
you'd think if anything his diabetes would have been the issue that might curtail his career - the concussions and diabetes can't be linked surely?
Jimmae I think will know more but from my limited reading I don't know if there's a connection that potentially makes someone more susceptible, I do know that the long term outlook of brain injuries in people with diabetes is bad comparatively. We used to be told by the club Dr 4 concussions and you're done. Cant imagine a medical professional giving mccartin a good long term prognosis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back