• Channel 7

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 26 25.5%

• Total voters
Apr 3, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Was going to sign-up to the Kayo trial for today's game, but thought I'd give the AFL Video Addon For Kodi a go. Already have a HTPC running Kodi hooked up to my TV, and a free Telstra AFL Live Pass, so why not.

Took a bit of fiddling with settings, but nothing too strenuous. Currently streaming the North v Saints game to test and I'm fairly impressed. (Lol Pittard just turned it over resulting in a goal...)

Will see how it goes. Might still try Kayo down the track if I can get higher quality but this seems to be at least better than FTA.

Sep 23, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Reckon you should be fine, regardless of what other devices are using your bandwidth. Kayo has the ability to select the quality: auto, SD or HD. In the setting it says HD need 6mbps. It also says the stream is 720p which is a little annoying as we expect 1080p when talking HD, however, if you didn't know this then you wouldn't notice. The stream is good
I've found if you set it to Auto, it will generally stick on 1080p, but if I set it on HD it will mainly stay on 720p for some reason

Marat

Club Legend
Sep 13, 2017
Marrickville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I had mine on auto and it was streaming at 270p - picture was still okay - I switched to HD and the pic is so much better but major buffering - guess my internet connection is not great

Tredz

Club Legend
Apr 30, 2011
Brisbane, QLD
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Utah Jazz
Signed up with Kayo ($5.00 for first month deal). Hooked previously unused 1st Gen TelstraTV to my Benq 1080p projector in the theater room for todays game. Internet access via 5Ghz Wi-fi to NBN with approx 24 Mbits downstream throughput. Worked brilliantly! Crisp, clear and smooth action. Picture was a little fuzzy for the first 10-20 seconds when first starting or after fast forward/rewind but overall a better experience than watching FoxFooty on 65" LG UHD TV.

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I buy netflix gift vouchers from supermarkets to intermittently watch their stuff, as there is not enough to continually interest me.
Does Kayo offer similar from any retail outlets?

Gene Simmons

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 29, 2007
Melbourne Rock City
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was going to sign-up to the Kayo trial for today's game, but thought I'd give the AFL Video Addon For Kodi a go. Already have a HTPC running Kodi hooked up to my TV, and a free Telstra AFL Live Pass, so why not.

Took a bit of fiddling with settings, but nothing too strenuous. Currently streaming the North v Saints game to test and I'm fairly impressed. (Lol Pittard just turned it over resulting in a goal...)

Will see how it goes. Might still try Kayo down the track if I can get higher quality but this seems to be at least better than FTA.

I can confirm that the stream from Kayo is much better than AFL through Kodi :thumbsu:

John the Butcher

Does not support the Ken Hinkley Football Club
May 27, 2014
Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Only annoying thing is that during ch7 broadcasted games (aflw so far but can pretty much guarantee it'll be same for thu Fri sat nights and sun afternoon 7 games), the feed is literally only a seven one with seven ads at breaks and during play and no Fox at all.

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
Only annoying thing is that during ch7 broadcasted games (aflw so far but can pretty much guarantee it'll be same for thu Fri sat nights and sun afternoon 7 games), the feed is literally only a seven one with seven ads at breaks and during play and no Fox at all.
Surely not for AFL games...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Boxx

Premiership Player
Mar 2, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys

It’s been this way for the past couple of seasons, so I see now evidence that it will be soothes year...

Sep 23, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just noticed this on the main forum Kayo thread, there has been a Kayo addon made for Kodi. Very handy for those hanging out for an Xbox Kayo app.

I use Kodi on the Raspberry Pi pretty much daily to act as my Smart TV, as my TV doesn't run iView, YouTube etc very well. So to have a Kayo addon as well will be awesome being on the same system. While Chromecast has been handy, on Kodi will be much easier. I haven't set it up yet but keen to try once the kids go to bed. Apparently it will use the buffer cache as well which the Chromecast doesn't have. Here's a couple of posts I've copied from the main thread -

A Kayo app has been released for Kodi, trying it now on my xbox, seems to be working well, the menu navigation is much better, easier to find stuff & much quicker to get it all going. Comparing pictures now between it & the android app & they look comparable, maybe the android app is marginally clearer but not much in it.

Install guides & info here -

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2788029
https://www.matthuisman.nz/201...3/kayo-sports-kodi-add-on.html

Just intstalled on my xbox, can confirm that it works very well. So far no random quality drops like I get on my CC Ultra too

I had to enable 'Ignore Display Resolution' and 'HDCP Settings' in order to get a full 1080p picture but its perfect now

Jul 11, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Just noticed this on the main forum Kayo thread, there has been a Kayo addon made for Kodi. Very handy for those hanging out for an Xbox Kayo app.

I use Kodi on the Raspberry Pi pretty much daily to act as my Smart TV, as my TV doesn't run iView, YouTube etc very well. So to have a Kayo addon as well will be awesome being on the same system. While Chromecast has been handy, on Kodi will be much easier. I haven't set it up yet but keen to try once the kids go to bed. Apparently it will use the buffer cache as well which the Chromecast doesn't have. Here's a couple of posts I've copied from the main thread -

A Kayo app has been released for Kodi, trying it now on my xbox, seems to be working well, the menu navigation is much better, easier to find stuff & much quicker to get it all going. Comparing pictures now between it & the android app & they look comparable, maybe the android app is marginally clearer but not much in it.

Install guides & info here -

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/thread/2788029
https://www.matthuisman.nz/201...3/kayo-sports-kodi-add-on.html

Just intstalled on my xbox, can confirm that it works very well. So far no random quality drops like I get on my CC Ultra too

I had to enable 'Ignore Display Resolution' and 'HDCP Settings' in order to get a full 1080p picture but its perfect now
Brilliant that this is now available as a Kodi add-on. Open s up a massive range of streaming options and compatible devices!

I buy netflix gift vouchers from supermarkets to intermittently watch their stuff, as there is not enough to continually interest me.
Does Kayo offer similar from any retail outlets?

Late response, but no. No idea why you don't just get a month of Netflix for 15 bucks and then cancel it? No need to waste time on gift cards really.

Sep 23, 2006
Home
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Geez, the Kodi addon is unreal. Playback is absolutely flawless, much better than the Chromecast which was prone to dropping the resolution every now and then. Haven't noticed anything at all with this, I suspect that is due to the buffer cache. Also so much smoother, I'm not sure if I had the Chromecast set to 50fps or not, but I've set that on Kodi and it's perfect.

And the main positive is the remote control playback, being able to use either my TV remote properly (wasn't able to fast forward or anything with the TV remote on CC) or the remote phone app that I usually use for Kodi (it's called Yatse, very handy). Was too limited using the Kayo Android app to control the playback.

Another thing is it's so much easier to find stuff. Everything is there in a nice big list. No mucking around navigating through the different tiles.

So much to love about this addon, highly recommended checking it out. Chromecast can bugger off to the other room.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Late response, but no. No idea why you don't just get a month of Netflix for 15 bucks and then cancel it? No need to waste time on gift cards really.
Or find a froend or family member who has netflix and use their’s as it can be used on up to 5 devices I think. That’s how we get free Netflix. Good value either way.
Very impressed with Kayo so far.

If it stays this good I'll keep it subbed this season for when fta, ****s us over.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It’s been this way for the past couple of seasons, so I see now evidence that it will be soothes year...
My free Kayo trial is about to run out.
Now to decide whether to sign up.
Was good to have no ads.
Was good to have access to JLT series, live and replays.
Will be good to have access to AFL 360 etc.

But if it ends up that during the season it is basically just a carbon copy the FTA broadcasts then not sure it will be worth it.
Will await feedback from others after the season proper starts before committing.

Back