Preview Changes for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Amon played the least amount of minutes out of anyone who got through v North with 48% of game time. Only Lienert 30% and Ryder 61% came close.

And even in 48% gametime he still had more impact than a fair few others. 14 touches, 1 goal (and another shot that hit the post), and I reckon he earned at least three holding the ball calls in his favour.

I can't believe I'm genuinely advocating for Karl Amon's selection. What a time to be alive.

I'd have Lienert the only out if injured. We can roll Hoff down back if need be or Motlop, Ebert or even Rozee on the back-flank to pick up some ball. Might be tough against a team like Melbourne though, so I'd be tempted to take Amon (due to low minutes) or Duursma out to bring in a more experienced defender like Broadbent or even Howard if we want to go tall (though less of a need against Melbourne). I'd be sad to see Duursma out though. Tough selection week as no one really deserves to miss out.

I think we”ll go in unchanged . Amon has the fitness to do a share of that outside run and carry , it is a bit of a gamble to run with 3 18 year olds but I think we”ll probably do it . Butters looking like a lock , Rozee and Duursma will get the nod just in front of Mayes and Sam Gray .
If Ryder doesn’t come up I’d play Frampton .

And even in 48% gametime he still had more impact than a fair few others. 14 touches, 1 goal (and another shot that hit the post), and I reckon he earned at least three holding the ball calls in his favour.

I can't believe I'm genuinely advocating for Karl Amon's selection. What a time to be alive.

He was landing solid bumps too. I couldn't believe what I was seeing tbh.

I hope he has a cracking start to the season, as we all know he'll be the first guy everyone charges after with murderous aplomb if we have a bad day and he doesn't fire.

Lienert out

Could understand and support the club if they wanted to play all 3 kids. I recognise if you want to develop players part of the on the job training has to involve actual learning on the job.

Having said that I want Mayes in and probably at the expense of Duursma

Also very tempted to pick broadbent because our backline is looking so green right now.

Would have butters as a lock for round 1.

If Ryder doesn’t get up I would 100% take Frampton.

I fear Hinkley wouldn’t, and putting lycett and westhoff up against Gawn, and leaving Marshall to be snapped in half like a toothpick by May would be about the most easily foreseeable and dumbest act anyone could commit. Which means you could pencil it in.

Sadly it’s also extremely likely Hinkley would wheel out Ryder in a weekend at Bernie’s type scenario so there is that.

Anyway this is getting depressing so I’m going to say the young kids this year is the most excited I’ve ever been about the young talent we have at the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't we be thin at the back if we don't replace Lienert with a defender?

But, if a back gets in, who would he be? And who would get out?

We already have too many defenders in the team and some of them are in pretty poor form. It's high time we picked a sensible number of defender types and let a bit of pressure for spots develop. This pressure will only increase once Hartlett and Broadbent are back playing.

Burton can play taller (and fact is probably a better one-on-one defender than Lienert anyway) so I think we have enough lockdown tall options for Melbourne.

He was landing solid bumps too. I couldn't believe what I was seeing tbh.

I hope he has a cracking start to the season, as we all know he'll be the first guy everyone charges after with murderous aplomb if we have a bad day and he doesn't fire.

Couple of ripping tackles too - where did he play? seemed to be all over.

there a lot or reasons why we might be a bottom 4 club this year, especially if we get a few injuries, the main reason is a lack of being able to play a full 4 quarters, against the good teams we will get easily beaten and against the rest it will be a hard slog that if it goes 40-60 instead of 60-40 then a bottom 4 position might well be on the cards.

If you put on your rose coloured glasses you can make a case for top 8 but either way the sooner we get rid of hinkley the better so if that means enduring a bottom 4 then so be it.

i think the North game last week says a lot about our team, we won and we won fairly easily in the end but with the team they put out there on our home deck of Alberton it should have been 10 goals every day, but typically we left the door open for pretty much the whole game and if North were a fraction better they would have knocked down the door.

Match-ups may dictate that Dougs plays, otherwise there maybe no changes. They may think Watts can float back.
Hammer isn't match fit and I'm not convinced Broady is either.
Ryder will play.
I reckon unchanged with Lienert out injured.
Agree. A Broadbent or Harlett in def would be ideal but 2 obviously being managed. Amon deserves a chance but must take it big time. Hinkley's smirk in presser on Wines looked interesting. Surely not that quickly back?

Lets hope Lycett can repeat last years prelim against Gawn.

it will be a toss-up between duursma and broady and im not sure Duursma can run out a whole game but id have him in over broady because he doesnt run sideways all the time like broady does, Duursma's pass to Robbie in the 1st quarter to set up a goal was 1st class

I don't think any team this JLT played a full 4 quarters. Momentum swings were severe and long lasting. Whether that was managing their best players game times or messing around with things I think we can expect long periods of one way traffic before it swings around the other way and things tighten up on the scoreboard again.

I think 6-6-6 will mean teams can get back into games more easily but it will also mean they can get crushed into dust and thrown to the 4 winds.

I'm as shocked as you. Amon did the footballing thing very well. If his defensive side of the game has been a focus, credit to him because it showed. No half-arsed, jelly-arm tackles and his disposal was excellent. Definitely plays Round 1.

I'm as shocked as you. Amon did the footballing thing very well. If his defensive side of the game has been a focus, credit to him because it showed. No half-arsed, jelly-arm tackles and his disposal was excellent. Definitely plays Round 1.

Perhaps the balls dropped for him, now or never. His career is very much on the line, was in the trade table (sought a trade home ?) and had no takers. Quite possibly playing to save his career.

Perhaps the balls dropped for him, now or never. His career is very much on the line, was in the trade table (sought a trade home ?) and had no takers. Quite possibly playing to save his career.
Quite possibly, or speculating (I have no idea, but would like it to be) both Schofield and Thompson have had a positive influence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back