Oppo Camp The Non-North Football Discussion & AFL Matchday Chat Thread: Edition IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFL greats call on the league to scrap ‘embarrassing’ new 50-metre penalty rule
AFL

d77d287d6a3364f65b4510b1576d7c83
Shaun Higgins gives away a second 50-metre penalty against Port Adelaide.Source: FOX SPORTS
AFL greats have called on the league to scrap its new 50-metre penalty rule, with the new rule labelled a “disgrace”.
Under the AFL’s new rules, umpires have been told to be stricter on players delaying the enforcement of the 50-metre penalty, with a new rule also allowing players to play on during the advancement of the penalty.
Across Saturday’s game, there were four “100-metre penalties” paid as a result of the new rule. That included two incidents in the game between North Melbourne and Port Adelaide.
Former Port Adelaide midfielder Kane Cornes says the AFL must scrap the rule to avoid embarrassment in the home and away season.

“The new 50-metre penalty rule must be scrapped before Round 1 to avoid the AFL embarrassing themselves when the sides run out for premiership points in a fortnight’s time,” Cornes wrote on the SEN website.

721487_640x360_large_20190309162053.jpg

New rule a 'disgrace'
0:45
The specifics of the rule change state umpires will be:
— Stricter on the infringing player, allowing the Player with the ball to advance The Mark by 50 metres without the infringing player delaying the game.
— In addition, the Player with the Football will be able to play on during the advancement of the 50-Metre Penalty.

North Melbourne’s Shaun Higgins was penalised with a 100-metre penalty — giving away a 50-metre penalty for arriving late to a marking contest with Port Adelaide’s Darcy Byrne-Jones, before giving away another for infringing on the Power player.
“What’s Higgins supposed to do?” Fox Footy analyst David King asked on commentary.
“He’s running next to him. The umpire says don’t impede him — he’s not impeding him there, he’s next to him, he’s three metres away.
“How can that be 50 metres? That’s a disgrace.
“You’re already in it (the zone around the player) to start with because you’ve just given the 50 away.”
Former Swans midfielder Jude Bolton said on Twitter he despised the new rule.
“I despise the 50m rule at the present. #100m #NoNeed,” he wrote.
I despise the 50m rule at the present.#100m #NoNeed @AFL
— Jude Bolton (@Jude_Bolton) March 9, 2019
Cornes wrote the “farce” would be a concern for AFL House this week.
“After two weeks of pre-season footy, the majority of the new rules look to be having a positive impact but the 50 metre farce would be a major concern for the heavy hitters at AFL House this week,” he wrote.
Cornes said the 100-metre penalties had the potential to seriously cost teams.
“A 50-metre penalty is already too harsh a penalty, now we are going to see repeat 100m indiscretions which will cost teams dearly,” Cornes wrote.
“This is the worst rule the AFL has introduced since the dreaded sub rule.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...k=259fd5d7539447c722c5c7a222e191ea-1552256860

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Just another example of sprinkling more s**t on the shitcake by the rules committee. Or umpires not having any common sense.

The coaches are overwhelmingly more responsible for ****ing up the game mate. The rule amendments are to predominately correct their bullshit.

They buggered up in this instance, but I suspect it will get canned pretty quick.

Not sure where to post but;

Is the Bigfooty Premium worth getting? I'm not a massive poster but if the layout and presentation of info is better with no advertising and better development it might be worth it?

Anyone even use it?
Yes. It's the best deal in town.

Not sure where to post but;

Is the Bigfooty Premium worth getting? I'm not a massive poster but if the layout and presentation of info is better with no advertising and better development it might be worth it?

Anyone even use it?
You get it for free if you sign on to the player sponsorship, and yes I’d say ad-free bigfooty is well worth it.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Some of the stuff coming out of Collingwood makes me think they’re content with losing the grand final. I’d be a bit annoyed if I was a pies supporter. Wouldn’t be surprised if they slid.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Some of the stuff coming out of Collingwood makes me think they’re content with losing the grand final. I’d be a bit annoyed if I was a pies supporter. Wouldn’t be surprised if they slid.

Too much talent Crutchy King.

They're about 3 million over the cap for starters.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Their game was about the only one last year I thought we were never in the hunt. They're pretty good.
That's very true. The Cats game was probably the other for me. Missed our chances in that first quarter and then they coasted on top of us for the rest of the match.

Dec 27, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Their game was about the only one last year I thought we were never in the hunt. They're pretty good.

That first quarter was freakish. There’s a lot of talented sides going around. I have them about 5th-6th

Not that fussed really. Just noticed they seem to be pretty happy with last years result.

Roo Beauty

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
WTF is this s**t. The Bulldogs are wearing this round 1. They've sold their souls. We better not go down this route.

View attachment 633975

In our 150th year in which we are commemorating the history of our great club, and re-introducing the classic and timeless 90’s bounding roo jumper into our rotation, I would be utteraly gobsmacked and ashamed if North were to go down the same route. What a disgusting guernsey.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Get prepared, I believe all clubs are wearing one at some stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back