Injury 2019 Injury Thread

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I am sure the club will put out an more specific articel but Langdon to miss the start of the season with a low grade linsfranc injury and from the article he should return in 6-7 weeks. The positive is he should have completed most of the preseason so hopefully he should have a good fitness base to work back from
Haynes a chance for rd 1 but by the sounds of it they may look to manage his back issue conservatively

https://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2019-02-26/stars-to-be-unveiled-across-jlt-series

GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

Player
Injury
Estimated Return

Toby Greene Ankle Test
Nick Haynes Back 2-3 weeks
Zac Langdon Foot 5-6 weeks
Shane Mumford Suspended Round 30
Jon Patton Knee Mid-May

Updated: Tuesday, March 5

Early prognosis

Greene is a chance to return in GWS's second JLT Community Series game against Adelaide on Friday night, but even if he doesn't play the Giants have little doubt he'll be fit for their round clash against Essendon. Haynes, however, remains touch and go for the season opener as he continues to recover from a back complaint. Langdon will make a delayed start to the season after injuring a Lisfranc joint at training last week, while Patton will fly to Philadelphia within the next fortnight to continue his recovery from his third knee reconstruction. The key forward has resumed running and his US trip is primarily designed to break up the drudgery of his lengthy rehabilitation. Barring last-minute hiccups, Tomlinson (calf) and Kelly (knee and hip) will play their first games of the year on Friday night against the Crows. - Nick Bowen

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Stinger in the team announcement.

" Meanwhile, co-captain Callan Ward will miss Friday night’s clash and the opening rounds of the AFL season after injuring the lateral collateral ligament (LCL) in his knee in the opening minutes of last week’s match.

Ward played out the majority of the match however subsequent scans revealed a LCL strain.

Surgery is not required but the midfielder is expected to be sidelined for four to six weeks to allow the knee to fully recover.

“It’s always disappointing to lose a player of the calibre of Callan Ward,” Cameron said.

“He’s been one of our most reliable and durable players over the years and has had a terrific pre-season."

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
So the current injury list is Haynes, Ward, Kelly, Corr, Langdon, Patton, Hopper plus Mumford out for rounds 1 and 2.

This worse than at the corresponding time last year?
I think Kelly and Hopper will play round one. If they do, then no- if they don't then yes I would agree

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
and with Hopper? dominated that scratch match vs swans and didnt appear to get any knocks best ive seen him for some time but he got full midfield without the senior mids.

But then once again no JLT games?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Injury management is very poor at our club. To have our best inside mid, and captain, hurt his knee at the start of a practise match, and then continue to play out the game, is pathetic given our history.
The game against the crows showed how light on we are for experienced, contested mids.
We were smashed in clearances last night. It’ll be the same for at least the first six weeks. From there we will be playing catch-up.
Raymann, have you got any news on the injury front? The club doesn’t give us much. Eg Kelly and Hopper.

Danny88

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
Injury management is very poor at our club. To have our best inside mid, and captain, hurt his knee at the start of a practise match, and then continue to play out the game, is pathetic given our history.
The game against the crows showed how light on we are for experienced, contested mids.
We were smashed in clearances last night. It’ll be the same for at least the first six weeks. From there we will be playing catch-up.
Raymann, have you got any news on the injury front? The club doesn’t give us much. Eg Kelly and Hopper.

While I agree the injury management has been poor, I imagine a lot of Ward playing out that game was due to his insistence. I mean, he has a reputation of being hard as nails and with that i expect he wouldn't complain often and often plays though pain. Im hypothesising that he didn't communicate the pain and it (like many ligament strains) got a lot sorer once he stopped and cooled down.

Bring back hopper and Kelly and we even up that clearance deficit.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
While I agree the injury management has been poor, I imagine a lot of Ward playing out that game was due to his insistence. I mean, he has a reputation of being hard as nails and with that i expect he wouldn't complain often and often plays though pain. Im hypothesising that he didn't communicate the pain and it (like many ligament strains) got a lot sorer once he stopped and cooled down.

Bring back hopper and Kelly and we even up that clearance deficit.
Except Hopper played no mins last week.. and Kelly we have heard nothing of.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I am thinking the club would release something about injuries to the best 22 players so if nothing comes out this week I would expect most to line up in the intra club on saturday
I think several players were behind in their pre seasons and that is why the numbers in last thursdays NEAFL game was somewhat low and also to give the academy players a chance to play but I think this intraclub will have all the fit players lining up

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Love a good conspiracy theory

988c7407f5aea8b220f5844b8c3419d2.gif

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Back