Women's Footy AFLW Crows in 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Massive Improvement from first year to now. In the first year it was scramble in a pack, blind kick to another pack, scramble and repeat. The game plan depended heavily on Noffy banging it forward and Phillips winning contested possessions up forward or Perkins taking a big mark.

Now we look like a fluid running team, lots of scoring options and lots of over-lap running from behind, l Maybe no coincidence that was Macca''s forté?

Last edited:
Only the AFL could manage to end up with a situation like this, where the team that is clearly the best in the comp and has only lost one match so far potentially stands to miss finals depending on results in the last round.

Now, hopefully we just win and none of that matters, but seriously what a typical farce.

Only the AFL could manage to end up with a situation like this, where the team that is clearly the best in the comp and has only lost one match so far potentially stands to miss finals depending on results in the final round.

Now, hopefully we just win and none of that matters, but seriously what a typical farce.

Poor North and Freo

Both clearly deserve a prelim at worst but only one will

Being essentially zoned the entire NT and SA to ourselves is a massive win, as was having the ability to sign Erin Phillips as a rookie. We’re sitting in a pretty good space, at least till Port get a side.

I'm pretty scared that Port is going to come into the comp in a few years time and be effectively permitted to take half of our side. Especially if we have a period of dominance, which is at least possible given our performance this season and the age profile of our list.

Hopefully the AFL forces them to stick to their guns. They claimed they wanted to focus on developing the grass roots, let them do a Geelong and start from scratch with home-grown stars. Hell, I don't even mind if they play their usual trick of convincing their young talent not to enter the draft a few years beforehand so they can scoop them all up upon entry.

Alternatively, hopefully we do have a period of dominance, and our players form a pact to stick together.

There's a part of me that feels really sad that, beneath all the positivity in the group at the moment, Sarah Perkins has to be feeling down about things.

All the same build and excitement of the 2017 season, except this time she's not a part of it. She's there and part of the group, but not on the field. It's one thing for the SA girls who can't make the side, but she's come over from interstate. I wonder if things don't turn around in the next few weeks, if she'll opt to head home. Or, if the decision will be made for her.

It's easy to forget just how inspirational, and how dominant, she was in her first season. We're celebrating Stevie-Lee Thompson kicking ten goals in six games, Perkins did the same in seven, and she didn't have the luxury of scoring most of hers from the goal square. They were primarily marks and 30+ metre kicks. She was as big a part of that 2017 premiership as anyone else, and it's sad to have seen it move away from her so quickly.

There's a tiny part of me that thinks, maybe she'll be able to work with someone to improve whatever it is she needs to become a dominant force for us again. But I don't see it.

There's a part of me that feels really sad that, beneath all the positivity in the group at the moment, Sarah Perkins has to be feeling down about things.

All the same build and excitement of the 2017 season, except this time she's not a part of it. She's there and part of the group, but not on the field. It's one thing for the SA girls who can't make the side, but she's come over from interstate. I wonder if things don't turn around in the next few weeks, if she'll opt to head home. Or, if the decision will be made for her.

It's easy to forget just how inspirational, and how dominant, she was in her first season. We're celebrating Stevie-Lee Thompson kicking ten goals in six games, Perkins did the same in seven, and she didn't have the luxury of scoring most of hers from the goal square. They were primarily marks and 30+ metre kicks. She was as big a part of that 2017 premiership as anyone else, and it's sad to have seen it move away from her so quickly.

There's a tiny part of me that thinks, maybe she'll be able to work with someone to improve whatever it is she needs to become a dominant force for us again. But I don't see it.

Does she just need to work on running and general fitness? She's only 25 turning 26 mid year, so technically should have a few seasons left in her. Did she have a back injury and miss this pre-season? The pace and skill of the game seems to have picked up since 2017, so Perko can ill afford to drop off in the fitness stakes.

For me she seems a bit like Darcy Fog, in that if she gets a mark in the 50 she can generally kick them, but needs to build up the running ability to stay in the game for longer.

Everyone loves her when she is in the game, whether it be for her mark and goal ability, or her crunching tackles. Let's hope she is still involved in seasons ahead.

After Season 1 Champion Data had her rated as Elite with 109 CD Ranking. After Season 2 Champion Data rated her as Poor with 46 CD Ranking. The comments were she didn't have the same impact as 17 and ranked 21st for Champion Data points per her position down from second. She rated below average for disposals, marks, goals and pressure points per 50 minutes. Her goal conversion let her down, recording the second-worst shot at goal accuracy of any player in the AFLW to have 7 or more shots-at -goal. Adelaide weren't as reliant on her ranking third for inside 50 targets down from No 1.
Compliments AFLW Prospectus

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely feel for Perkins. She was without a doubt a key member in our inaugural premiership year.
Over the next year and onto this third season, her impact has become less and less. Basically, there is an inverse relationship between Perkins’ contribution to our team and the rise of the standards in AFLW competition as a whole.

If Perkins is still dominant like she was, then we’d likely assume the standards haven’t improved all that much. As it is so far, the standards have improved exponentially with each year. Perko needs now to lift to another level if she is to remain relevant.

I'm pretty scared that Port is going to come into the comp in a few years time and be effectively permitted to take half of our side. Especially if we have a period of dominance, which is at least possible given our performance this season and the age profile of our list.

Hopefully the AFL forces them to stick to their guns. They claimed they wanted to focus on developing the grass roots, let them do a Geelong and start from scratch with home-grown stars. Hell, I don't even mind if they play their usual trick of convincing their young talent not to enter the draft a few years beforehand so they can scoop them all up upon entry.

Alternatively, hopefully we do have a period of dominance, and our players form a pact to stick together.

They have had issues with the team in the SAWFL. Previously they have struggled to get players, pay the registration fee for the league and, as such, have been on very thin ice with the SAWFL. I heard they had to step out of the competition one year until they paid all their outstanding fees. Last year Port women's team were still called Port but over this off season they merged with another club (North Haven) as they were still having similar issues to in the past. They don't have a women's team this season, and I think it will be a very long time before they are in a position to get a team together for the AFLW.

Last edited:
They have had issues with the team in the SAWFL. Previously they have struggled to get players, pay the registration fee for the league and, as such, have been on very thin ice with the SAWFL. I heard they had to step out of the competition one year until they paid all their outstanding fees. Last year Port women's team were still called Port but over this off season they merged with another club (North Haven) as they were still having similar issues to in the past. They don't have a women's team this season, and I think it will be a very long time before they are in a position to get a team together for the AFLW.
But a bit like the AFLW concept (as driven by AFL House) wont getting a team force them to lift their game or get the assistance to lift?

I sort of feel like we have our recruiters to thank for this year so far. Just about any half decent coach would be riding high with this lot.

Ponter, Scheer, Jones wowee, out of nowhere!
Also, on Eloise Jones, she was playing State Under 18s and winning best player awards and was training with the Crows the year prior to being draft eligible, so the club would have been all over her before drafting.

Port was interested in a team until they found out the AFL wouldn't be completely funding the teams. They were also told it would affect their equalization status, basically, if they can afford to run a women's team they don't deserve money received from clubs like Sydney who pay into the equalization fund and were saying they couldn't afford a women's team.

So in order for Port to get a team they would need to be very confident that they can completely cover the cost of the team through sponsorship and given how they struggle to get sponsors for their men's team, they have no reason to be confident about that.

yeah Jones came in last season with big wraps but didn't have a big impact but she has definitely stepped up this season

that contested mark in the goal square on the weekend ~ all class!

Gee, didn't realise things had gone so far south for them.

Still, next year fourteen of the eighteen AFL teams have a women's side as well. I'd be shocked if that didn't turn into all eighteen sometime soon. It looks strange if almost but not quite everyone has a team.

It's going to be an issue if/when Sydney enter the league. GWS is struggling enough as it is, let alone when Sydney comes in and further dilutes their draft pool. Maybe they'll need to wait until the competition advances to the point where the girls are paid a serious wage.

Still, as of next year, us and GWS will be the only teams who have sole access to their given draft pool. Freo and Brisbane are about to have their pools cut in half and their lists raided, and another two teams are about to enter the Victorian market and will presumably model their entrance on North Melbourne, taking the eyes out of the other Melbourne-based teams.

Does she just need to work on running and general fitness? She's only 25 turning 26 mid year, so technically should have a few seasons left in her. Did she have a back injury and miss this pre-season? The pace and skill of the game seems to have picked up since 2017, so Perko can ill afford to drop off in the fitness stakes.

I don't believe there's an issue with her fitness. She's obviously a bigger girl but I doubt that's due to a lack of work on her behalf. That's just her body shape. That said, she did have injury issues this past preseason which may have hurt her fitness a bit.

I think her main issue is simply her speed. With AFLW teams now using zones and switches effectively, she struggles to get to the contest if it's not kicked to her, and then her opponent can work off her. Meanwhile, her excellent ball-handling skills are stifled because she has just a bit less time to gather a loose ball and kick it than she used to, with players able to close her down faster than before.

I'd hate to see her lost to the game so soon, but obviously something is going to need to change in her game. She's a smart footballer so hopefully she's able to do it. Just not sure if it will be with us.

Last edited:
Gee, didn't realise things had gone so far south for them.

Still, next year fourteen of the eighteen AFL teams have a women's side as well. I'd be shocked if that didn't turn into all eighteen sometime soon. It looks strange if almost but not quite everyone has a team.

It's going to be an issue if/when Sydney enter the league. GWS is struggling enough as it is, let alone when Sydney comes in and further dilutes their draft pool. Maybe they'll need to wait until the competition advances to the point where the girls are paid a serious wage.

Still, as of next year, us and GWS will be the only teams who have sole access to their given draft pool. Freo and Brisbane are about to have their pools cut in half and their lists raided, and another two teams are about to enter the Victorian market and will presumably model their entrance on North Melbourne, taking the eyes out of the other Melbourne-based teams.

I don't believe there's an issue with her fitness. She's obviously a bigger girl but I doubt that's due to a lack of work on her behalf. That's just her body shape. That said, she did have injury issues this past preseason which may have hurt her fitness a bit.

I think her main issue is simply her speed. With AFLW teams now using zones and switches effectively, she struggles to get to the contest if it's not kicked to her, and then her opponent can work off her. Meanwhile, her excellent ball-handling skills are stifled because she has just a bit less time to gather a loose ball and kick it than she used to, with players able to close her down faster than before.

I'd hate to see her lost to the game so soon, but obviously something is going to need to change in her game. She's a smart footballer so hopefully she's able to do it. Just not sure if it will be with us.

Sydney is not interested at all about having a Women's team from what I've seen. They were offered the NSW team but declined straight away so it went to the Giants. Port are only interested if it costs them nothing and they don't really have to support it (it's what they have done with their SAWFL team and the Magpies).

On Perkins - when you have a back injury like she did - that seriously impacts all parts of your fitness including your speed.

Sydney is not interested at all about having a Women's team from what I've seen. They were offered the NSW team but declined straight away so it went to the Giants. Port are only interested if it costs them nothing and they don't really have to support it (it's what they have done with their SAWFL team and the Magpies).

On Perkins - when you have a back injury like she did - that seriously impacts all parts of your fitness including your speed.

Sydney played the wrong cards with their womens team, they for some reason thought the AFL really wanted them to have a team so they had the condition for them having a team was that the AFL would pay to upgrade their facilities, said that their rooms weren't big enough for 2 teams to use. The AFL gave the team to GWS.

I was at Unley on Sunday and I was surprised with the ctiticism of Deni Varnhagen. One of my mates couldn’t get to the match until half-time and he asked me who was playing well. In addition to the usual suspects, I said thar I was impressed with Deni’s game.

I am somewhat relieved to see she scored two coaches votes. Her kicking sometimes misses the mark but she is rarely beaten one-on-one and is strong overhead.

Our backline plays very well as a unit but it does help to have Chelsea almost unbeatable when near the ball.

I was at Unley on Sunday and I was surprised with the ctiticism of Deni Varnhagen. One of my mates couldn’t get to the match until half-time and he asked me who was playing well. In addition to the usual suspects, I said thar I was impressed with Deni’s game.
I think both she and Rajic are pretty good as talls off half back. Another two that have stepped up this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back