Strategy 2019 - Best 22 & Player Discussion

Heart Of Purple

All Australian
Mar 26, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
where does Sandi fit into this?
Would imagine if Sandi was fully fit he'd have first crack. Think Ross spoke about the need to manage both him and Darcy at some point this off-season though, meaning we'd be rotating which one is playing - would love to tell you who plays how much but your guess is as good as mine. Sandi looks a long way off though.

Ysaye

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
My current take on best 22 (ignoring Sandi and Bennell for reasons) is:

• Backline: Pearce, Hamling, Ryan, Wilson, Logue, and Blakely - Pearce and Hamling get the best forwards, with Pearce probably better placed to blanket any really dangerous small forwards. I think I am with others here in that Blakely (whilst definitely a strong centreman) has also developed into a good backman that can rotate to tag or to the midfield, and I would back others to do close to the same job as Blakely in the midfield. I think Logue's aggressiveness and physical attributes make him suited to the half back line to cover medium or third talls; conscious of the running debate on having lock downs, I think with him, Pearce and Hamling that is enough defensive pressure.
  • Midfield: Darcy, Fyfe, S. Hill, B. Hill, Conca and Brayshaw - I am backing Brayshaw (just over Tucker) and Conca (over Banfield) in to be in the first picked midfield this year; I think Brayshaw with his positioning, workrate and athletic ability is going to be more than useful in the middle feeding it out to the others. There is an argument to have Langdon in but then that is a really really poor disposing midfield. I also wonder about maybe having Banfield again as a full time lock-down tagger (I really like him in and only in this particular role), but maybe that will also be part of Conca's role.
  • Forward-line: Hogan, Lobb, Walters, Cox, Mundy and Cerra - Only part of this group have really played together but I think Walters, Mundy and Cerra are the high or crumbing highly skilled forward midfielders with Hogan also going high often, whilst Lobb and Cox are deep (with Lobb as back up ruck). I haven't gone with a permanent small forward as none currently stand out as being better than going with a forward/midfielder. Taberner and Cox are borderline for the third tall forward line - I would go with Cox based on last year's and JLT form, better field kicking and greater flexibility, however I reserve the right to change my decision.
  • The interchange: Langdon, Banfield, Tucker, Switkowski - Interchange is full of grunt and strong run (particularly Langdon and Banfield), and some footskills with Switkowski and Tucker.

For the start of the season, Blakely, S. Hill and Switkowski won't be there, so I see Langdon and Tucker into the first 18 and Matera, Colyer and Giro brought up as they have the edge in terms of experience and maybe form as well over Duman, Hughes, Bewley and Shultz (Shultz is more unknown at this stage and could be a dark horse - just being a little conservative). Alternatively, if you like what you have seen of Cox in defence, then you might put him back in place of Blakely and go with Taberner in the forward line instead of Giro, as arguably he is more in form than any of those three.

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Best 22 - still a spot up for grabs

FB: Duman Pearce Hamling
HB: Wilson Logue Ryan
C: Langdon Fyfe Hill B
HF: Mundy Cox Hill S
FF: Walters Hogan Lobb
R: Darcy Blakely Brayshaw
Int: Cerra Conca Banfield ???

Rd 1 at this stage.

FB: Duman Pearce Nyhuis
HB: Wilson Hamling Ryan
C: Langdon Fyfe Cerra
HF: Mundy Hogan Giro
FF: Walters Lobb Schultz
R: Darcy Tucker Brayshaw
Int: Banfield Conca Hughes Crowden North

Last edited:

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Blakely
S Hill Mundy B Hill
Walters Hogan Langdon
Schultz Cox Switkowski

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw

Lobb Cerra Conca Tucker

Bit of a different forward structure based on nothing but hopes and dreams regarding Schultz.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Ryan Hamling Logue
Wilson Pearce Blakely
S Hill Mundy B Hill
Walters Hogan Langdon
Schultz Cox Switkowski

Darcy Fyfe Brayshaw

Lobb Cerra Conca Tucker

Bit of a different forward structure based on nothing but hopes and dreams regarding Schultz.
Don't mind it, but would expect Lobb more in the starting forward line (can't get away with 2 rucks rotating from the bench). All for powering up the forward line given both Langdon and Walters will rotate midfield.

heavho

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
fremantle
With switkowski and Logue having minor hamstrings does that rule them out for round one ? With not being able to judge them in what is now the dress rehearsal etc

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
With switkowski and Logue having minor hamstrings does that rule them out for round one ? With not being able to judge them in what is now the dress rehearsal etc
I think they are not available. We can cover Logue with any of Duman, Nyhuis or Cox, pending match-ups. Switkowski is the one who will hurt assuming he is not available.

ilikepotatoes

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2011
Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Pistons, Glory
For round 1 reckon we will see something like...

Hughes Hamling Ryan
Wilson Pearce Cerra
B. Hill Mundy Langdon
Matera Hogan Walters
McCarthy Lobb Ballantyne
Darcy Brayshaw Fyfe
Banfield Conca Colyer Tucker

I am a bit worried Cerra is shaping to have a 2nd-year blues type year. I'm also on the same wavelength as everyone else that he shouldnt be near the backline. Yes, he had his best games there last year but he has genuine fwd craft which we could obviously use up there. He's also not the best defensively (which ironically, is likely why he's being played there).

Hoping he gets considerable more on-ball time come the season proper then JLT1 and 2

Scham

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2004
AFL Club
Fremantle
Geez, Rd 1 team is so hard to pick with all of the players now unavailable.

FB: Duman Pearce Nyhuis
HB: Wilson Hamling Ryan
C: Langdon Fyfe Cerra
HF: Mundy Hogan Giro
FF: Walters Lobb Schultz
R: Darcy Tucker Brayshaw
Int: Banfield Conca Hughes Crowden North

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hughes looks to have the makings of a real strong, aggressive inside mid. Watch the first 5 minutes of the last quarter back and the way he steams forward and attacks the footy really shines. Reminds me a fair bit of Yeo actually watching him.

He looks like he has some of the goods, but he can't kick nearly as well as Yeo

blue shark

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Doesn’t have the natural footy nouse either. A very, very poor mans Elliot Yeo. All going well he may become Menegola like.
With all the injuries, and the others just kids maybe Hughes should be involved midfield. At least then we can add some
backbone with Nyhius?
Connor and Hughes have a similar pathway, and we need some bigger bodies, Hughes is also quick something missing with
rotations.

yyou

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NY Mets, NO Pelicans, Toronto Leafs
this has become quite depressing after the 2 scratch matches.
The Pies were undermanned in the midfield & wc have a plodding midfield besides shuey, yet killed us.
I agree that Hughes has, shown signs, particularly upfield, so I'm surprised people are slotting him in defense.
Also, Langdon has been a bit down, yet hasn't been mentioned much. When he did play a bit better in the Collingwood game, we looked a lot better. I'd venture so far as to suggest he is somewhat of a barometer for our team.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
this has become quite depressing after the 2 scratch matches.
The Pies were undermanned in the midfield & wc have a plodding midfield besides shuey, yet killed us.
I agree that Hughes has, shown signs, particularly upfield, so I'm surprised people are slotting him in defense.
Also, Langdon has been a bit down, yet hasn't been mentioned much. When he did play a bit better in the Collingwood game, we looked a lot better. I'd venture so far as to suggest he is somewhat of a barometer for our team.

We were missing Fyfe, Blakely, S Hill, Bennell plus B Hill for the 2nd half of the Eagles game.

These are 5 of our top 8 mids, and we have no midfield depth.

and we have played Collingwood and the Eagles, last years premiers. We will get a better idea after we play North at home.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Hughes Hamling Ryan
Wilson Pearce Duman
B. Hill Mundy Langdon
Cerra Hogan Walters
McCarthy Lobb Schultz
Darcy Brayshaw Fyfe
Banfield Conca Tucker Bewley

In once fit: Logue, S HIll, Bennell, Switta, Cox, Blakely

PS - Our depth is starting to look very average. Once we get a few injuries, I struggle to find 22 players I like.

PS - I don't want McCarthy in my side, and I have a big question marks on Bewley as well.

Monument Hills

Cancelled
Dec 12, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Hufflepuff, Wildcats, WCE womens
R1 for me (but I know Ballas will be in there):

Hughes Hamling Ryan
Wilson Pearce Duman
B. Hill Mundy Langdon
Cerra Hogan Walters