Best 22 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a clue from Leon about how we adjust next year. I tend to think of Perryman as a back and Bonar and Shipley would be ahead for a midfield spot. Apparently not.

Who are the Giants set to replace Shiel and Scully? - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-03/the-three-giants-set-to-replace-shiel-and-scully

Perryman is close to being in my 22 atm and I think he will play a mid/defender during the year and see where he ends up when the games actually begin or he just is in-between the two, I rate him and see him as a role player going forward and hopefully he can play between 15 and 20 afl games this year. Bonar I see as a forward mid for this year as he has the size and athleticism I am interested to see how his fitness is after I think they did a lot of work during his first pre season at the club. Shipley I think needs another year of development as he has the size but not the strength against the mature bodies but he should add to his games tally but this is all depending on how the pre seasons of the players are going and if they hold Bonar back a little bit because of his injury history

Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's and giving my thoughts as well.

Feedback is appreciated.

FULL BACK: Haynes ~ Davis ~ Shaw
HALF BACK: Williams ~ Taylor ~ Kennedy

WINGS: Hopper ~ Whitfield
CENTRE: Ward

HALF FWD: Greene ~ Cameron ~ Taranto
FULL FWD: Langdon ~ Himmelberg/ Patton ~ Daniels/ Daniel Lloyd

RUCK: Mumford
FOLLOWERS: Coniglio ~ Kelly

INTERCHANGE: Deledio ~ Tomlinson ~ De Boer ~ Bonar/ Hately

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: Reid

1ST STRING (No particular order) Simpson ~ Caldwell ~ Cumming ~ Buntine ~ Keeffe ~ Finlayson ~ O'Halloran ~ Corr ~ Perrymann ~ Hill ~ Flynn

2ND STRING (No particular order) Sproule ~ Briggs ~ Shipley ~ Idun ~ J. Buckley ~ Stein ~ Brown

Back half is fairly settled. Not sure if maybe Sheridan can break in as a more lock down defender ahead of Adam Kennedy.

Midfield has been regenerated with Hopper and Whitfield stepping up to replace Shiel and Scully. Mumford if he can get his body right is probably ahead of big Dawson.

FWD line is fairly similar to how it finished in 2018. Lloyd is a different style of forward to Langdon, Taranto and Greene. I see him more of a Mark LeCras style lead up forward with the other guys using there smarts as crumbers.

Bonar/ Hately come into the 22 as some fresh blood. Both can be effective in multiple roles but if they are most like anyone from the 2018 side its Ryan Griffen.

Tomlinson effective in multiple roles. Can go tall either end and has the athleticism to play as a taller wing.

De Boer as the hard a** with Cal Ward. Can play mid/fwd as a negating player.

Lot of good youth coming through in the first string. 4 picks inside the first 30 of the draft and arguably the best ruck in the draft will do that.

Guys like Caldwell, O'Halloran and Hill will benefit from some good minutes in the NEAFL firstly testing there bodies more against bigger men.

Sorry to intrude folks. Filtering through each club's best 22's and giving my thoughts as well.

Feedback is appreciated.

FULL BACK: Haynes ~ Davis ~ Shaw
HALF BACK: Williams ~ Taylor ~ Kennedy

WINGS: Hopper ~ Whitfield
CENTRE: Ward

HALF FWD: Greene ~ Cameron ~ Taranto
FULL FWD: Langdon ~ Himmelberg/ Patton ~ Daniels/ Daniel Lloyd

RUCK: Mumford
FOLLOWERS: Coniglio ~ Kelly

INTERCHANGE: Deledio ~ Tomlinson ~ De Boer ~ Bonar/ Hately

IN CASE OF EMERGENCY: Reid

1ST STRING (No particular order) Simpson ~ Caldwell ~ Cumming ~ Buntine ~ Keeffe ~ Finlayson ~ O'Halloran ~ Corr ~ Perrymann ~ Hill ~ Flynn

2ND STRING (No particular order) Sproule ~ Briggs ~ Shipley ~ Idun ~ J. Buckley ~ Stein ~ Brown

Back half is fairly settled. Not sure if maybe Sheridan can break in as a more lock down defender ahead of Adam Kennedy.

Midfield has been regenerated with Hopper and Whitfield stepping up to replace Shiel and Scully. Mumford if he can get his body right is probably ahead of big Dawson.

FWD line is fairly similar to how it finished in 2018. Lloyd is a different style of forward to Langdon, Taranto and Greene. I see him more of a Mark LeCras style lead up forward with the other guys using there smarts as crumbers.

Bonar/ Hately come into the 22 as some fresh blood. Both can be effective in multiple roles but if they are most like anyone from the 2018 side its Ryan Griffen.

Tomlinson effective in multiple roles. Can go tall either end and has the athleticism to play as a taller wing.

De Boer as the hard a** with Cal Ward. Can play mid/fwd as a negating player.

Lot of good youth coming through in the first string. 4 picks inside the first 30 of the draft and arguably the best ruck in the draft will do that.

Guys like Caldwell, O'Halloran and Hill will benefit from some good minutes in the NEAFL firstly testing there bodies more against bigger men.

Good summary and always interesting to see other peoples opinions and most posters are fairly settled on 20 of the 22 with the sticking points being the Taylor or Corr for KPD and until Corr is on the park and playing some will think he is still carrying his groin issue for last year and then the other is the last bench spot which could go to any of Reid/Lloyd/Bonar/Perryman/Sheridan/Finlayson/Shipley in the first half of the year and then depending on how the pre seasons went for the draftees one of them may step up.
Something else to take into consideration is how they handle the second ruck issue with the likelihood (IMO) of Flynn seeing some games this year as second ruck and tall forward
I don't think patton will be seen even at NEAFL level before the bye and my guess would be 4 games minimum in the reserves before he is come back ready

Sorry if there’s a better thread for it - fantasy related question.

Are you expecting Matt de Boer to play much senior footy this year?

Leon talks about the 14-16 players that pick themselves every week. He finished last year in that group and starts in it this year I'm pretty sure. He's in our leadership group.He captained JLT1 whuch gives an idea of his standing.

Guys like Daniels and Bonar will challenge his position . I doubt he'll be the one that misses out personally.

After yesterday's showing, the absence of Ward is significant but hopefully the inclusion of Hopper and Williams can give us back some composure transitioning the ball through the middle and minimise our outs. Thinking the Senior and NEAFL sides will look like this in 2 weeks - in a way similar to the team sheet I posted last week but after putting the NEAFL team list together, feeling excited to see our NEAFL team in action with some exciting talent.

FB: Haynes Davis Shaw
HB: Kenners Taylor Williams
C: Whitfield Hopper Deledio
HF: MDB Cameron Daniels
FF: Greene Himmelberg Lloyd
Foll: Simpson Kelly Coniglio
I/C: Tomlinson Taranto Perryman ?Caldwell

A good variety of players on the bench to cover multiple positions. I personally think that last bench spot will be fought out between Caldwell, Buntine, Bonar, Cumming and Reid (probably in that pecking order honestly). Feel like Caldwell gives us that turn of acceleration and class through the midfield. My thoughts with Corr is even if he is fit, having missed so much footy, I would like to see him come back through the NEAFL. When Ward and Langdon return later in the season, I see Caldwell and Deledio (managed)/Daniels making way - I see merit in having both Daniels and Langdon in the same forward line but with Lloyd currently in form, I cant see Cameron dropping MDB (consistency, leadership, pressure) either.

Noteable absentees: Corr, Ward, Langdon, Patton

That would see our NEAFL side looking like:

FB: Stein Keefe Buntine
HB: Finlayson Corr Cumming
C: Hately Bonar Sheridan
HF: Reid Sproule Hill
FF: Brown Briggs D. Buckley
Foll: Flynn O'Hallaran Shipley
I/C: Idun J. Buckley ... ...

Not sure how we will fare this year but I think in terms of individual players we still have an experienced and talented team capable of winning a flag with sufficient depth in most areas of the ground. Not convinced with our forward depth as there isnt really much KPF cover apart from Sproule. If Cameron gets suspended and Himmelberg injured in the first half of the year, we will be very thin indeed. Our chances of success will essentially be a matter of injuries and team cohesion as it has been the last couple of years.

Last edited:
whats your guys outlooks for
Cameron Hopefully plays every game and I set a minimum 50 goals, plenty of assists and based of the 2 JLT games he could be delivering it into the 50 but I want him to become a leader in the forward line and help the development of Himmelburg
Greene Hopefully plays every game and he needs to play as a target in the fwd 50 IMO and hopefully close to 50 goals
Dawson 10-15 games and plenty of hitouts to advantage and he should have a good combination with most of the first line mids
Flynn After the JLT I think he will be lucky to get 5 games this year unless needed and he should play as a ruck forward when he comes in
Himmelberg Feeling confident for him this year he should be nearly fully developed and a lock for the FF spot he just needs to develop some contested marking to his game and hopefully 30+ goals
Shaw Crucial in the defensive 50 and although he has the occasional shank one I am confident with the ball in his hand in the defensive 50
Williams at his best he is AA quality he just needs to maintain it for the whole season and after most of last year injured he will try to make up for lost time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After yesterday's showing, the absence of Ward is significant but hopefully the inclusion of Hopper and Williams can give us back some composure transitioning the ball through the middle and minimise our outs. Thinking the Senior and NEAFL sides will look like this in 2 weeks - in a way similar to the team sheet I posted last week but after putting the NEAFL team list together, feeling excited to see our NEAFL team in action with some exciting talent.

FB: Haynes Davis Shaw
HB: Kenners Taylor Williams
C: Whitfield Hopper Deledio
HF: MDB Cameron Daniels
FF: Greene Himmelberg Lloyd
Foll: Simpson Kelly Coniglio
I/C: Tomlinson Taranto Perryman ?Caldwell

A good variety of players on the bench to cover multiple positions. I personally think that last bench spot will be fought out between Caldwell, Buntine, Bonar, Cumming and Reid (probably in that pecking order honestly). Feel like Caldwell gives us that turn of acceleration and class through the midfield. My thoughts with Corr is even if he is fit, having missed so much footy, I would like to see him come back through the NEAFL. When Ward and Langdon return later in the season, I see Caldwell and Deledio (managed)/Daniels making way - I see merit in having both Daniels and Langdon in the same forward line but with Lloyd currently in form, I cant see Cameron dropping MDB (consistency, leadership, pressure) either.

Noteable absentees: Corr, Ward, Langdon, Patton

That would see our NEAFL side looking like:

FB: Stein Keefe Buntine
HB: Finlayson Corr Cumming
C: Hately Bonar Sheridan
HF: Reid Sproule Hill
FF: Brown Briggs D. Buckley
Foll: Flynn O'Hallaran Shipley
I/C: Idun J. Buckley ... ...

Not sure how we will fare this year but I think in terms of individual players we still have an experienced and talented team capable of winning a flag with sufficient depth in most areas of the ground. Not convinced with our forward depth as there isnt really much KPF cover apart from Sproule. If Cameron gets suspended and Himmelberg injured in the first half of the year, we will be very thin indeed. Our chances of success will essentially be a matter of injuries and team cohesion as it has been the last couple of years.

Haynes is likely to miss rd 1 and I favour Buntine for his spot but Keefe could be an option, the intraclub on saturday will sort a few things out
Daniels and Caldwell will be possibilities with Bonar and Reid likely to be in the mix and my preference would always be for experience early on in the season as I see Taranto taking Shiel's midfield minutes and Bonar playing that forward mid role that Taranto was playing last season
At this stage my rd 1 would be

Shaw Davis Buntine/Keefe
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Kelly Tomlinson
MDB Cameron Taranto
Greene HH Lloyd
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Deledio Reid Perryman Bonar/Daniels

EDIT: Callum Brown is likely to play Academy level in the first half of the season depending on his development as to when he graduates to NEAFL

Last edited:
Haynes is likely to miss rd 1 and I favour Buntine for his spot but Keefe could be an option, the intraclub on saturday will sort a few things out
Daniels and Caldwell will be possibilities with Bonar and Reid likely to be in the mix and my preference would always be for experience early on in the season as I see Taranto taking Shiel's midfield minutes and Bonar playing that forward mid role that Taranto was playing last season
At this stage my rd 1 would be

Shaw Davis Buntine/Keefe
Williams Taylor Kennedy
Whitfield Kelly Tomlinson
MDB Cameron Taranto
Greene HH Lloyd
Simpson Coniglio Hopper
Deledio Reid Perryman Bonar/Daniels
I like Bonars willingness to do the little things consistently. Things like running hard to make sure someone's on the mark, rather than hoping someone else does. Chasing the hopeless chase to apply whatever pressure it's possible to do. It's something I've always liked about Bunts as well.

I see those traits in Daniels and Lloyd as well but to me he's a standout.

thanks mate, how has deledio been tracking aswell? playing on the wing more? up forward down back?

i see Deledios best position on the wing delivering the ball into the forward 50 or he could drift back to a half back depending on players. I hope he is over his injury issues but I would think 15 games would be good for him with a couple of spells during the season depending on how he is progressing
I think he is 1 run short over the pre season but with a intra club on saturday he should be ready for rd 1 and his experience will be vital with Ward missing the first few rounds

I like Bonars willingness to do the little things consistently. Things like running hard to make sure someone's on the mark, rather than hoping someone else does. Chasing the hopeless chase to apply whatever pressure it's possible to do. It's something I've always liked about Bunts as well.

I see those traits in Daniels and Lloyd as well but to me he's a standout.
I feel like he gets a bit lost. I love the way he competes and his ceiling is high. I probably wouldn’t play him round 1... I took would favour experience where possible early on.

At this stage I’d go with this for round 1:
(I have know idea how the injuries look.. eg I presume Kelly won’t be available)

Buntine Davis Shaw
Kennedy Taylor Williams
Whitfield Coniglio Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Deledio
Daniels HH De Boer
Simpson Hopper Taranto
Keeffe Lloyd Perryman Reid

I’ve left the rookies out. Let them have a crack after the frantic first few rounds.

I feel like he gets a bit lost. I love the way he competes and his ceiling is high. I probably wouldn’t play him round 1... I took would favour experience where possible early on.
I'd probably play Daniels first. Particularly with Lloyd in form and Langdon out. His legspeed is something special.

I feel like Bonar must have been given so much time in the clearances for a reason though. He might be in line to step in early for Ward.

I'd agree. Bonar was given plenty of game time, and especially in the centre, so you'd think he's squarely in the selectors' sights. Of course, it depends on whether they saw what they needed to from him!

In terms of a round 1 team, I'm probably pretty close to Giant Pete - but wouldn't have Reid at this stage. He had short game time in JLT2 (don't know why, injury or planned?), and given our deficiency is in tight, I'd opine that he's not the answer. I'd suggest that Bonar is more suited to the need even though I don't think he's quite ready - though I acknowledge that I have no idea what the selectors will do and Sam Reid has been a favourite during the last couple of years.

My thoughts on the round 1 team at this stage are below - players in italics are injury replacements for missing best 22 players (assumes Haynes, Langdon, Mumford, Corr, Ward, Kelly are out) so we're looking likely to be 6 down to start the year. Frustrating.

Buntine Davis Shaw
Kennedy Taylor Williams
Whitfield Coniglio Tomlinson
Greene Cameron Deledio
Daniels HH De Boer
Simpson Hopper Taranto
Keeffe Lloyd Perryman Reid Bonar

I suspect Perryman will be best 22 as a mid this year rotating back, I'd prefer Cumming to Bunts atm and anyone to Keefe, if he wasn't able to backup ruck he is almost unselectable for me.
Nut I am no selector :)
I'm not a great Keeffe fan, but our selectors have gone with him in the past when not seeming the likely option, so I'm reading a possible selection into the facts he was given 2 JLT games with lots of minutes played (and his performances weren't the worst).

Our selectors tend to go with 4 talls - normally Davis, Corr, Haynes & Tommo; if we play Tommo on the wing & Corr is out, there's 2 spots there to fill. Finlayson didn't impress; Keeffe & Buntine were selected in the finals last year & (Keeffe can spell Dawson in ruck) versus Cumming being inexperienced ... I'm joining dots. If it were me, yeah I'd probably leave Tommo at the back and bring Cumming onto a wing after that JLT2 performance; still probably has Buntine in round 1 unless Haynes comes good.

I don't quite have Perryman as best 22 (as I've said before); probably best 25 and the next mid/utility. Think he's in for round 1 with the expected outs.

The final hitout at the intraclub match next weekend if the final chance for everyone to impress; but I doubt that we'll see/hear too much detail from it. Hopefully Hopper, Kelly, Corr and Haynes play - would at least give some hope they'll be back in round 1 or at least soon thereafter.

I'm not a great Keeffe fan, but our selectors have gone with him in the past when not seeming the likely option, so I'm reading a possible selection into the facts he was given 2 JLT games with lots of minutes played (and his performances weren't the worst).

Our selectors tend to go with 4 talls - normally Davis, Corr, Haynes & Tommo; if we play Tommo on the wing & Corr is out, there's 2 spots there to fill. Finlayson didn't impress; Keeffe & Buntine were selected in the finals last year & (Keeffe can spell Dawson in ruck) versus Cumming being inexperienced ... I'm joining dots. If it were me, yeah I'd probably leave Tommo at the back and bring Cumming onto a wing after that JLT2 performance; still probably has Buntine in round 1 unless Haynes comes good.

I don't quite have Perryman as best 22 (as I've said before); probably best 25 and the next mid/utility. Think he's in for round 1 with the expected outs.

The final hitout at the intraclub match next weekend if the final chance for everyone to impress; but I doubt that we'll see/hear too much detail from it. Hopefully Hopper, Kelly, Corr and Haynes play - would at least give some hope they'll be back in round 1 or at least soon thereafter.
Absolutely

Would love come clarity from the club on the Kelly situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back