Preview JLT - Lions v Demons, Casey Fields, Saturday March 9th 3.10pm (Brisbane time).

scott_the_man

Club Legend
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Vine jones and lever are that much better than Zorko Gardiner and Adams it isn’t funny. Our midfield should have absolutely dominated them. They didn’t. Jake lever is on the Harris Andrews level and our key forwards couldn’t dominate either.
Huh? I think you are underestimating the strength of the midfield they played. Gawn is the best tap ruckman in the comp, feeding it down to Oliver who is the best clearance player in the comp. Throw in Brayshaw who is coming off the back of an incredible year where he finished 3rd in the Brownlow. That's a pretty handy midfield with those 3 alone.

I think you are setting your standards way too high if you think we should have dominated them in the middle.

SRH17

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Anyone else noticed that JL walks the same way that the great man Simon Black used to? All he needs to do now is tap the toe of his boot into the ground like Blacky did.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Most determined Rich I have ever seen.......didnt let anyone past and copped a battering a few times. Kicking not the usual starring performer but much rather tough and hungry Rich turning up each week.

With much more competition for spots Rich is stepping up his game. We often forget that Rich going top 2 was almost a given in his draft year.

Vine jones and lever are that much better than Zorko Gardiner and Adams it isn’t funny. Our midfield should have absolutely dominated them. They didn’t. Jake lever is on the Harris Andrews level and our key forwards couldn’t dominate either.

Expecting - 7 wins.

Pass mark? - 12 wins

Lid removed > 12

I think in reality you're the one sitting with a massively overinflated expectations. I'd be absolutely amazed if we were to get 12 wins this season personally, it would be an astonishing outcome IMO.

Why are you so surprised that we didn't belt them in the midfield? We're talking about what is likely to be a top 2 (at worst top 4) team this season with one of the deepest and well rounded midfields in the competition and we beat them. Yes they're without Viney and Jones but we were without Zorko who I rate a better player than either of those two based on recent seasons form (albeit not better than both of them combined). Then we were missing Gardiner and Oscar as well. As for our key forwards not dominating, they still had May and McDonald down there, who are both good defenders, you make it out like they had noone. Melbourne are very deep all over the field (bar maybe KPF) and should be one of the favourites for the Premiership IMO even when you discount for the perception that they're still a basket case hangover.

I'm massively heartened by this weeks effort after being a bit flat about last weeks and generally unimpressed. Sure there are going to be some challenging times this season but we're not a finals team yet and to beat a strong melb team was a good result. I particularly liked how we managed to arrest momentum away from them when they started to get on top.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think in reality you're the one sitting with a massively overinflated expectations. I'd be absolutely amazed if we were to get 12 wins this season personally, it would be an astonishing outcome IMO.

Why are you so surprised that we didn't belt them in the midfield? We're talking about what is likely to be a top 2 (at worst top 4) team this season with one of the deepest and well rounded midfields in the competition and we beat them. Yes they're without Viney and Jones but we were without Zorko who I rate a better player than either of those two based on recent seasons form (albeit not better than both of them combined). Then we were missing Gardiner and Oscar as well. As for our key forwards not dominating, they still had May and McDonald down there, who are both good defenders, you make it out like they had noone. Melbourne are very deep all over the field (bar maybe KPF) and should be one of the favourites for the Premiership IMO even when you discount for the perception that they're still a basket case hangover.

I'm massively heartened by this weeks effort after being a bit flat about last weeks and generally unimpressed. Sure there are going to be some challenging times this season but we're not a finals team yet and to beat a strong melb team was a good result. I particularly liked how we managed to arrest momentum away from them when they started to get on top.

Last year Melbourne had the second greatest contested ball differential ever recorded (behind West Coast in either 05 or 06), and that was without Viney for a lot of the season (Jones plays wing for them mainly too now). The fact that we were very competitive with them in contested ball (we actually beat them 159-150) and led them in clearances 40-29 was a very positive sign, even with the usual caveat of it being a JLT game.

The main thing I took away from the game was that you can see how our midfield can be far better at winning the ball this year - Lyons, Neale and improvement from Matho will hopefully really bolster that despite Beams leaving. Our key forwards are still young so winning more of the ball will be the main way we win more games as we need to give them more chances to score rather than relying on them to convert a high % of less inside 50s.

Last year Melbourne had the second greatest contested ball differential ever recorded (behind West Coast in either 05 or 06), and that was without Viney for a lot of the season (Jones plays wing for them mainly too now). The fact that we were very competitive with them in contested ball (we actually beat them 159-150) and led them in clearances 40-29 was a very positive sign, even with the usual caveat of it being a JLT game.

The main thing I took away from the game was that you can see how our midfield can be far better at winning the ball this year - Lyons, Neale and improvement from Matho will hopefully really bolster that despite Beams leaving. Our key forwards are still young so winning more of the ball will be the main way we win more games as we need to give them more chances to score rather than relying on them to convert a high % of less inside 50s.
If you break it down even further, without looking at the stats, I think we averaged around 138 contested possessions per game last year so to achieve a figure of 159 against a Melbourne midfield is a fantastic result.
All be it in a JLT game.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Vandenberg and Oliver also got fines for striking Neale and Lyons respectively.

Considering some Demons fans said their mob didn't care and were going through the motions, there was a bit of agro out there from some of their players.

Vandenberg and Oliver also got fines for striking Neale and Lyons respectively.

Considering some Demons fans said their mob didn't care and were going through the motions, there was a bit of agro out there from some of their players.

Yep. I reckon it was pretty clear both teams were trying to win and it wasn't until the fourth the foot was taken off a bit.

May 3, 2005
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Scuderia Ferrari, Dallas Cowboys
Yep. I reckon it was pretty clear both teams were trying to win and it wasn't until the fourth the foot was taken off a bit.

Apparently we were "playing our grand final".

Which is, hilariously, what supporters of every team we have beaten in the last few years have said (in fact, we won two grand finals against Hawthorn last year). I guess you have to convince yourself that you didn't lose on your merits.

Last edited:
Apparently we were "playing our grand final".

Which is, hilariously, what supporters of every team we have beaten in the last few years has said (in fact, we won two grand finals against Hawthorn last year). I guess you have to convince yourself that you didn't lose on your merits.

Supporters will always try and convince themselves it isn't their teams fault they lost. It'll be interesting to see what opposition supporters have to say when we win 9+ games. That's a lot of grannies.

A week for May seems reasonable. As for Melbourne, don’t be surprised if they slump this year. They may start drinking their own bath water and that’s never a good thing.

Last edited:

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A week for May seems reasonable. As for Melbourne, don’t be surprised if they slump this year. They may start drinking their own bath water and that’s never a good thing.
I was concerned we might have done the same thing with the result vs the Suns a few weeks back.

I was concerned we might have done the same thing with the result vs the Suns a few weeks back.
We were the opposite. I’d take seven goal first quarters all year.

A week for May is reasonable. He has a history, the ball had already moved on and he had every opportunity to not engage the bump even if his intention was to prevent Berry from following on. The only saving grace he had is that it wasn't higher, and/or that he himself didn't leave the ground this time.

Melbourne supporters - yes, these kinds of brainfarts are exactly what you got when you signed him up. Enjoy.

Back