Preview Changes for Round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd bring in Billy for either Marshall or Ebert. Todd still plays as a flanker, and Ebert trialling as a 3rd tall is a good idea, but he's not in good form.
Frampton is in reasonable form and we know he'll hit the contest hard.

Any chance we use McKenzie as a swingman?

I was just thinking the same thing. Went forward and kicked three goals late in the trial game, would be a tad undersized as a CHF but is such a powerful kick would be very dangerous outside 50.

With no May (assuming he doesn't get off) Lever they will be a touch light on key defenders so could be worth a gamble. If we went with Mackenzie over Frampton it would mean Lycett goes it alone V Gawn and Westhoff is our only support in the ruck, but as preuss is missing Melb wont have any support for Gawn. Given they are without May and Lever maybe that strengthens the case for Frampton (or Howard) to replace Ryder and we can look to use size to our advantage.

Howard would be another option, but would rather us let him focus on improving his work as a 1V1 defender and not swap roles too much and hamper his development.

Only unforced change I would make would be Mayes for Duursma. I like Duursma but he's coughing the ball up too often at the moment. Based on Ross' report from Friday night I think it's a simple like for like swap.

Leinert out injured obviously. Amon was great and earned his spot. I think we need Rozee's speed and pressure even though he's not getting heaps of the ball
Hell no! Mayes is very vanilla. Duursma has the speed to run and break lines. Yes he may make a few mistakes that lead to turnovers but the kid can play. He is couragous and knows how to get the ball. He plays Rnd 1 for sure.

Hell no! Mayes is very vanilla. Duursma has the speed to run and break lines. Yes he may make a few mistakes that lead to turnovers but the kid can play. He is couragous and knows how to get the ball. He plays Rnd 1 for sure.
I actually like what Mayes brings and had him pencilled in for round 1.

But given what Duursma has shown it is a line ball decision between the 2.

And if you are choosing lineball between a mature player without the runs on the board and an 18 year old with a bucket load of potential you pick the 18 year old every time.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

If Ryder is out and S Gary takes his place I am already out for the season as nothing has changed.

x2. I saw in the last few mins of each qtr against north we went chippy chippy. I said to my nephews that we must be practicing icing games. If we dish that up in any other circumstance I'll lose my s**t big time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

x2. I saw in the last few mins of each qtr against north we went chippy chippy. I said to my nephews that we must be practicing icing games. If we dish that up in any other circumstance I'll lose my s**t big time
It’s a skill we needed last year. I’m glad we have practised it.

Someone asking "why mayes" then saying he brings nothing, probably didn't watch JLT 1 closely, and certainly didn't watch the SANFL match on Friday.

He's got assets, and they aren't moobs.
Saw a little of him in JLT one and didn't watch the Maggie's on Friday, what are his assets?

Any chance we use McKenzie as a swingman?
Honestly this could be a sneaky chance.

Watching the replay earlier and seeing the way Lienert was distributing the ball from half back made me think we'll miss him in round one. If Mckenzie can fill a similar role he'd be worth a crack for sure, and the fact he is showing the ability to swing up forward is a big tick.

It might depend if Hartlett plays, but I wouldn't be unhappy to see McKenzie play with these new rules.

McKenzie as a swing man? I thought this was the AFL squad changes.

last year seemed nowhere near it and dare i say if there was any depth at SANFL level among tall backs during the trade/delisting period he might not even be at the club any more.

wouldn't think a couple sanfl trial games catapult him into finding a round 1 spot.

McKenzie as a swing man? I thought this was the AFL squad changes.

last year seemed nowhere near it and dare i say if there was any depth at SANFL level among tall backs during the trade/delisting period he might not even be at the club any more.

wouldn't think a couple sanfl trial games catapult him into finding a round 1 spot.
Before the trial games I thought Doogie was a lock in our 22, Amon should have been sent to the reserves forever and Broadbent was cooked. Things can change over an off-season.

I'd bring in Billy for either Marshall or Ebert. Todd still plays as a flanker, and Ebert trialling as a 3rd tall is a good idea, but he's not in good form.
Frampton is in reasonable form and we know he'll hit the contest hard.
I would bring in Frampton for Marshall. I would leave Ebert in.

Phew Marshall was not suspended. Thought he was a gonner for at least rnd 1 after bumping and hitting Wright high.

They must've changed the tribunal rules, and bloody happpy for him to just cop a fine.

Ken said that we will have 5, maybe 6 debuts in R1.

I reckon Wines might actually get up for this.

Ken said that we will have 5, maybe 6 debuts in R1.

I reckon Wines might actually get up for this.

He did say Wines is moving well but didn't someone claim Wines ruled himself out ?

Lycett - Club Debut
Burton - Club Debut
Butters - AFL Debut
Duursma - AFL Debut
Rozee - AFL Debut

Theres 5,

Wines not fit, Drew - AFL Debut. Maybe 6th ?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back