Round 1 Vs Sydney GAMEDAY

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love Virgin Dog's simple assessment.

Most teams who score 100 points win. That usually equates to 15 goals being scored.

With this in mind, we need to consistently score a total of 10 goals per game between the following forwards: Schache, Gowers, Dickson, Wallis, Llyod/Cavarra and Naughton/Boyd.

Additionally, five goals per game in total from the midfield consisting of Bontempelli, McLean, Macrae, Liberatore, Hunter, Dunkley and English.

Is this not very very manageable?

What’s everyone’s thoughts on Bailey smith copping a gig round 1
I’d have him very close - maybe an emergency - but probably having a few VFL games to pick up the pace of the game. Especially after his interrupted preseason.

I expect he will have debuted by the start of May.

Love Virgin Dog's simple assessment.

Most teams who score 100 points win. That usually equates to 15 goals being scored.

With this in mind, we need to consistently score a total of 10 goals per game between the following forwards: Schache, Gowers, Dickson, Wallis, Llyod/Cavarra and Naughton/Boyd.

Additionally, five goals per game in total from the midfield consisting of Bontempelli, McLean, Macrae, Liberatore, Hunter, Dunkley and English.

Is this not very very manageable?
14 Goals is a good measuring point, but you have to remember some teams are harder to score against and have defensive
integrity. Collingwood are a great example they scored 14 Goals or over 12 times for 12 wins they scored 13 goals or under
14 times for 5 wins and 9 losses including 8 at the MCG. Their three games versus West Coast are a great example because
they could not score 14 Goals and had to get the mirror out to see how to adjust their game plan to give them the best
chance to beat West Coast. Their three games against Richmond are also very educational.

Last edited:
Was it Terry Wallace who used to say 16 goals will win you the match nearly every week? That was nearly a generation ago and I think the game has become more defensive since then (partly due to Wallace’s flooding strategy contributing to our famous win over Essendon in 2000). It’s got to the stage that the AFL is even legislating to make the game less defensive.

So I agree 14 goals is the new 16.

Tbh I was gonna go to this game but after our JLT games I'm less inclined to. I don't care whether we win or lose but if it's gonna be another season without any semblance of a winning game plan then I'm going to be emotionally checked out. It doesn't take a genius to see that the forward handball ball movement is not viable and it makes me question the competence of our coaching staff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I havent seen it mentioned yet that if we converted the shots we SHOULD in most games we would be a 3-4 goal better side.
Ha, some games we should have scored 6-10 more.
This. The game plan cant be that bad if its getting us 20-30 good looks at goals a game. Just need to convert.

I havent seen it mentioned yet that if we converted the shots we SHOULD in most games we would be a 3-4 goal better side.
Ha, some games we should have scored 6-10 more.

But can we count on that happening when it hasn’t for two years now

The amount of shots we are having is a positive but we miss so many and that’s not counting the 3-4 OOB we seem to have every week also

Last edited:
I think your JLT2 performance was a Bevo joke, I agree with those calling it a smokescreen designed to give nothing away in hope of catching a few early teams off guard.

I am interested in how you guys will rotate your midfielders this year, Richards & Suckling on the wings, Libba & Dunks? taking turns digging out first use, Macrae accummulating, and Mclean & Wallis rotating between fwd/mid, does that sound like the most likely setup?

On Dunkley, he can obviously win the ball and tackle well, what would you guys say are his weaknesses? Mclean's first use numbers last year before his should proved to lead to more scoring i read, seems like he should be a first choice mid.

Yet to see the St Kilda game, first game was pretty meh. Forward line still looks a massive problem. Team I would go with.

B: Morris Cordy Dureya
HB: Daniel wood crozier
C : hunter libba Macrae
Hf: Lloyd Naughton McLean
F: Wallis Schache gowers
R: Trengove Bont Dunkley
Int: English suckling Richards Williams
Emg: Smith Dickson Hayes

Have a feeling I might be missing someone.

Think we need to play the two rucks, Naughton can swing back if need be but Schache needs another tall with him and not a lumbering ruckman.

Really want to see Dickson Greene and cavarra show some strong form in the vfl and get into our forward line

Not necessarily the team I'd go with but I think you've nailed our round 1 team

The team looked more dangerous last year when guys like lynch and Greene were inserted. Are these guys fit at the moment??

Too many plodders picked for JLT. Balance of the team was off.

I'm not sure if the direction was given by coaching staff to go at 70% but the whole team looked like they were wading through quicksand.

I think your JLT2 performance was a Bevo joke, I agree with those calling it a smokescreen designed to give nothing away in hope of catching a few early teams off guard.

I am interested in how you guys will rotate your midfielders this year, Richards & Suckling on the wings, Libba & Dunks? taking turns digging out first use, Macrae accummulating, and Mclean & Wallis rotating between fwd/mid, does that sound like the most likely setup?

On Dunkley, he can obviously win the ball and tackle well, what would you guys say are his weaknesses? Mclean's first use numbers last year before his should proved to lead to more scoring i read, seems like he should be a first choice mid.

Dunkleys weakness is his ball use by foot. Think Hunter will be on the wing

Wish I could agree with you, but I cannot. Our JLT opponents were Gold Coast and St Kilda two teams it would be fair to
say will be holding up the ladder. We were not missing all that many players and yet rolled out a ten and a twelve goal
performance, we even kicked 12-7 against St Kilda which is quite accurate for us so you can't blame poor conversion.
The most disappointing aspect for me was the kick to handball ratio (-19) and (-8) the only team in the negative both
weeks which leads to poor connection with the forwards, we tend to blame the forwards, but i am not so sure as playing
in front of our ball movement must be frustrating. On Josh Dunkley he certainly appears to have given the weights a
fair nudge in the off season and to my eye looks to have bulked up too much, football is a running game these days
and Josh is not that gifted in open play a trait shared by a few of our midfield. The phone box seems back in vogue and
Bevo may have lost the keys to the Tardis plus his rant on the role of the runners on the weekend was comical at best.

We will look better as the year goes on due to our strong mids. Preseason is always fast and no one is carrying injuries. Put Jj and Lynch in and we will look instantly better. Jj replaces Caleb down back and Lynch replaces Hayes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back