Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even I can't fault MLG in the way we set up administering the appointment of our new coach, but now he...he's somehow to blame should things go awry.

Very happy that board and some vocal non-board members have removed themselves from the spotlight to a large degree.
Some egos don't allow that to come about, given the free time afforded to the club from directors but so far, so good from the CFC.

Give me Liddle. Give me LLoyd. Give me Russell and Bolton, but don't give me Jeannie or MLG any more....and please not Mathieson.
They haven't the aura of a Kennett or McGuire and whether we like it or not, that counts.

MLG seems to cop it from some for not saying more in the media. I don't remember Mathieson ever being in the spotlight other than bagging the previous recruiters in a Gold Coast rag a couple of times. History tells us those recruiters were actually incompetent. Bruce seems to inspire some sort of Blue based tall poppy trigger to a number of supporters, personally I am most interested in people at the club that can assemble a winning football side.

Picked up a nice score yesterday.

My hobby is restoring antique hand tools and sending them back out to work with old school enthusiasts. Was helping out with the value appraisal of workshop contents for a deceased estate, and sitting on top of a pile of papers destined for the rubbish bin, I found this...

1979 Grand Final Monday 4 page liftout from The Age.

As I had alerted the executor to several thousand dollars worth of valuable rust, she was kind enough to give it to me in addition to the deal we had for first right to offer on the tools.

DSCN7705.JPG

My hobby is restoring antique hand tools and sending them back out to work with old school enthusiasts. Was helping out with the value appraisal of workshop contents for a deceased estate, and sitting on top of a pile of papers destined for the rubbish bin, I found this...

As I had alerted the executor to several thousand dollars worth of valuable rust, she was kind enough to give it to me in addition to the deal we had for first right to offer on the tools.

View attachment 632457

Love renovations of some old places, lift the vinyl and you find some interesting history/items

Love renovations of some old places, lift the vinyl and you find some interesting history/items
Yeah done a few Reno’s where we found some great old papers and other things, that 79 GF spread is a ripper, great find and what a great job you have would love to do that.

View attachment 632457
Looks like it is in pretty good shape too, ripper find.

MLG seems to cop it from some for not saying more in the media. I don't remember Mathieson ever being in the spotlight other than bagging the previous recruiters in a Gold Coast rag a couple of times. History tells us those recruiters were actually incompetent. Bruce seems to inspire some sort of Blue based tall poppy trigger to a number of supporters, personally I am most interested in people at the club that can assemble a winning football side.
What I am most interested in is a board that will leave the football to the football department. Bruce Matheison has never struck me as the type to delegate, or to believe that anyone else could be more of an expert than he is.

Whatever MLG's faults are, he's certainly ensured that, if the people we've hired and the processes to get them are/have been the right ones, he's let them do their jobs and trusted them to get it right.

What I am most interested in is a board that will leave the football to the football department. Bruce Matheison has never struck me as the type to delegate, or to believe that anyone else could be more of an expert than he is.

Whatever MLG's faults are, he's certainly ensured that, if the people we've hired and the processes to get them are/have been the right ones, he's let them do their jobs and trusted them to get it right.
This

Just found this on YouTube. I know it was made way back in 1991 but if you replace "95" with "87" the lyrics perfectly sum up the recent situation for our football club. If you needed any extra motivation to sign up for this year:

We need every blues fan to come back and get behind our great football club because something really exciting is happening. Our list is finally starting to take shape, in 5 years time Cripps, Curnow, Walsh and Dow could easily be the best players in the game. It may take a few more years before we seriously start to get into premiership contention but the hardest part of the rebuild is over, our graph is only going up from here, unlike many teams who will always hover around middle of the road. Credit to all those who have stayed the whole journey. The thing that has made us the club we are is our ability over time to adapt to the modern environment and be a step ahead of everyone else. It is just so pleasing to see us finally adapt to the draft and salary cap to finally start building a premiership list, its also pleasing to see how inclusive our footy club has been which has helped drive membership over the past few years despite our poor performances. Now its time for all those lost members of the past to return and jump back on board the Carlton band wagon once again!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep agreed. I get the impression we won't be hearing from Matheison - he was just the loudest and most powerful voice of a movement to change the way we were going about it. Hopefully we don't fall back into the archaic list management model we had before the changes of 2015.

Max Barry’s squiggle has Carlton on the steady rise after the two JLT games. It seems some people rate what happens in these games. Squiggle uses attack and defence metrics to analyse the season and predict the outcome. He still has us 17th with GC way off down the bottom left. At this stage Carlton 17th and Adelaide 7th which puts our trade slightly in Adelaides favour points wise but if Stocker turns out the player he was traded in to be then it doesn’t really matter.

Carlton 6 wins whereas Brisbane and saints with 10 I’d be very surprised.

https://live.squiggle.com.au/#

Attachments

• B17A6E8E-BE71-4AFD-B55B-EC0513E2F713.png
    B17A6E8E-BE71-4AFD-B55B-EC0513E2F713.png
    376.1 KB · Views: 151
Gerard Whately on AFL 360 "I expect it (Carltons development) to result in more than a handful of wins this year." He was quite positive about the Blues future. Probably makes him look a bit flakey after last years comments.
Hedging his bets.

Wants to be able to say ‘I told you so’ whatever the outcome.

Gerard Whately on AFL 360 "I expect it (Carltons development) to result in more than a handful of wins this year." He was quite positive about the Blues future. Probably makes him look a bit flakey after last years comments.

I saw that. Robbo actually brought it up, saying something along the lines of "last year you said their list build was wrong and you couldn't see where the improvement would come from? Surely you've seen enough now?" (Obviously not word for word, but that was the gist of it, from memory)

I seem to remember Gerrard replied saying that he pretty much sticks by last years call, but adds that now he can see where the improvement will come from... So perhaps he's trying to fence sit so he can claim the win either way?

I saw that. Robbo actually brought it up, saying something along the lines of "last year you said their list build was wrong and you couldn't see where the improvement would come from? Surely you've seen enough now?" (Obviously not word for word, but that was the gist of it, from memory)

I seem to remember Gerrard replied saying that he pretty much sticks by last years call, but adds that now he can see where the improvement will come from... So perhaps he's trying to fence sit so he can claim the win either way?

Whateley has become an intelligent version of Cornes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back