2019 AFL Crowds & Ratings Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Very unlikely I'd suggest that we'll actually see general public in the reserve. The MCC will just open sales to their provisional members and increase the number of visitors tickets that full members can buy.

Not to mention they'll probably backflip the next time there's a lockout.

certainly true, but at least even that is an improvement on seats being left vacant entirely. All being said, that's not an unfair solution - as long as in practice it is a solution. If the seats still seem to go empty then there would be a case for something more prescriptive. To me, the 'real' solution is to increase overall capacity to 125k and ensure at least 10k of that increase is pure, uncompromised GA.

Match reports on the AFLW website have it averaging 4923 across 29 games (if we assign 5306 to each of the weekend's Marvel games, of course) with one TBC. Wasn't a huge crowd at Moreton Bay in round 5 but there were more than zero people in attendance.

Not sure if this is the right place to raise this but is anyone else concerned 666 footy is going to hit crowd and viewer numbers?

Not being able to drop numbers back and choke up games will certainly make for high scoring affairs but this is also going to make for a whole lot of slaughterings. I can see sides that are tracking to miss finals hitting some very low attendance numbers when they start seeing sequential drubbings.

Sides that might be in reality better than they were in 2018 like say Brisbane, might find themselves looking at % that makes them look far worse.

Last few years we've been saying that it could be anyone's season and 12 sides could make the 8. This year i think we might be calling the top 4 in June and that only they can win it.

So what is the effect on afl revenues when half the fans turn off mid-season? I'm generally an upbeat person but i can see this going horribly wrong.
We don't even know if 666 is going to create higher scoring at AFL Premiership level, first of all. It's certainly not going to stop coaches from flooding backlines 30 seconds after a centre bounce if they desire.

And to take your Brisbane example, they played an attacking brand of footy last season and their crowds held up ok despite another season of finishing low on the ladder.

Match reports on the AFLW website have it averaging 4923 across 29 games (if we assign 5306 to each of the weekend's Marvel games, of course) with one TBC. Wasn't a huge crowd at Moreton Bay in round 5 but there were more than zero people in attendance.

We don't even know if 666 is going to create higher scoring at AFL Premiership level, first of all. It's certainly not going to stop coaches from flooding backlines 30 seconds after a centre bounce if they desire.

And to take your Brisbane example, they played an attacking brand of footy last season and their crowds held up ok despite another season of finishing low on the ladder.

True. Maybe I'm jumping at shadows

What are our expectations for attendences in Round 1?

Good early signs on the ratings with the JTL

While over-all the ratings only went up 4.4% on last years rising from an average of 79.6% to 83.1%, there was a massive positive shift between week one and two

1552348226189.png

What are our expectations for attendences in Round 1?

I'll have a go at it. Early bird guess.

Carl/ Rich 85k
Pies/Geel 60k
Dees/Port 40k
Adel/hawks 52k
WB/Syd 28k
Bris/WCE 16k
Stk/GC 19k
Gws/Dons 12k
Freo/North 45k

Carl/ Rich 85k
Pies/Geel 60k
Dees/Port 40k
Adel/hawks 52k
WB/Syd 28k
Bris/WCE 16k
Stk/GC 19k
Gws/Dons 12k
Freo/North 45k

Would think Pies Cats would get over 70k for round 1 after a pies suprise GF season

Carl/ Rich 85k
Pies/Geel 60k
Dees/Port 40k
Adel/hawks 52k
WB/Syd 28k
Bris/WCE 16k
Stk/GC 19k
Gws/Dons 12k
Freo/North 45k

I think you are about right but perhaps the Collingwood V Cats game will be nearer 70K.

If the Blues believe in their chance the Carlton V Tigers game could nudge up to high 80s.

400K metro ratings for the Front Bar last night. Very healthy for a 904 start I would have thought

400K metro ratings for the Front Bar last night. Very healthy for a 904 start I would have thought
Agreed.
Smashed the Footy Show, even with the footy show having a larger audience leading in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed.
Smashed the Footy Show, even with the footy show having a larger audience leading in.

Massive numbers all up for 9pm to 10 20pmish shows

864K combined....

1553129065322.png

Footy show got 363K metro this time last year. Front Bar didn't make the top 20

Yep a very good start It will interesting tomorrow to see if Coll v Gee can top 80,000 as well

The MCC are predicting only 72,000 but as a Collingwood home game you would expect a few more than that.

Fantastic attendance at Carlton V Richmond.

It was the 4th biggest attendance at a Carlton V Richmond Home and Away game.

It was the biggest ever attendance at a Carlton home game V Richmond.

Great start to what we hope will be a big round.
Agreed.
Even though the pies are playing Geelong on a Friday, they should get at least 75K.

Hope tomorrow’s crowd of Melbourne v Port still cracks the 40,000 mark. Forecast to be 32 degrees as well as buses replacing trains in the south eastern lines, where the Melbourne supporters primarily live.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back