Society/Culture Annabel Crabb

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Currently "ABC political writer and commentator" according to her Twitter account.

I think I hate her.

Today she wrote a story that buried the most interesting part at the bottom - Julie Bishop's dismay at Tony Abbott picking no women for his Cabinet - and decided the important bit was Melania Trump mistaking who she was https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...rtner-foreign-minister-melania-trump/10887286

She hosted a cooking show which revealed answers to the important question: What foods do focus groups tell politicians they should pretend to love to look normal?

This was followed by a couple cookbooks

9781743366196.jpg

xspecial-guest.jpg.pagespeed.ic.N37FdU27OT.jpg

"So she does stupid cooking stuff, so what?"

Is there a place in the world for assinnine cooking crap? Yes. But it means she sucks at the political journalism. She never gives real criticism to anybody because season 7 of Cooking With Authentic Politician could be ordered.

This is someone the ABC puts on their election night panels. She offers no insight.

She's on Q&A tomorrow night.

If she's more interested in her brand than anything, what's the point?

Last edited:

Rabbitpig

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Currently "ABC political writer and commentator" according to her Twitter account.

I think I hate her.

Today she wrote a story that buried the most interesting part at the bottom - Julie Bishop's dismay at Tony Abbott picking no women for his Cabinet - and decided the important bit was Melania Trump mistaking who she was https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...rtner-foreign-minister-melania-trump/10887286

She hosted a cooking show which revealed answers to the important question: What foods do focus groups tell politicians they should pretend to love to look normal?

9781743366196.jpg

xspecial-guest.jpg.pagespeed.ic.N37FdU27OT.jpg

Is there a place in the world for assinnine cooking crap? Yes. But it means she sucks at the political journalism. She never gives real criticism to anybody because season 7 of Cooking With Authentic Politician could be ordered.

This is someone the ABC puts on their election night panels. She offers no insight.

If she's more interested in her brand than anything, what's the point?

Are you a closet Misogynist?

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Never heard of this broad, but I recognise her from posters I see here in Adelaide for the Fringe Festival. She must be doing a meet and greet or some s**t.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
Well I'm actually a fan.

Kitchen Cabinet was actually pretty revealing with Politicuans giving away quite a but in a relaxed setting. Her recent series on the parliament was also enlightening as to how the process works or doesn't work.

Her style as a journalist is non combative and non confrontational. I think there's a place for that.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
If she wants to be a lifestyle reporter then she should stop the pretense of being a political journalist.
It is not really important what a politician's favourite recipe is, nor is it consequential to their job.

"How parliament works" is best left for BTN.
Your not getting it.

You can often get people to reveal more with that style. That's actually a journalists job, not shoving their views down peoples throats.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
"Shoving their views down people's throats" is not journalism.

Asking questions about policy should be what it is mainly about. Sadly it no longer is.
Crabb is trying to turn political journalism into infotainment. It's garbage.
Again you're missing the point

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
What did politicians give away?
If you didn't watch it, then you probably shouldn't post an opinion.

But the sharehouse Joe Hockey ran at a profit with Pyne living in the garage was revealing.

As was Barnaby Joyce working hard for his eiectorate.Not a person I respect generally, but I do get why he's successful now.

Turnbull came across as petulant and a pretty petty character, not at all what I was expecting.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
If you didn't watch it, then you probably shouldn't post an opinion.

But the sharehouse Joe Hockey ran at a profit with Pyne living in the garage was revealing.

As was Barnaby Joyce working hard for his eiectorate.Not a person I respect generally, but I do get why he's successful now.

Turnbull came across as petulant and a pretty petty character, not at all what I was expecting.

What was the sharehouse story?

You don't need a 30-minute cooking show for politicians to say they work hard, long hours etc. They'll freely tell you all the time.

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
She is just a hired goon.

Real journalists get killed or stitched up.

You know the Panama papers
Wikileaks
Gary Webb.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Crabb does seem like somebody who'd get a juicy document and choose to do nothing with it because how will I get supermum Bridget McKenzie to come on the cooking show or help flog my cookbook after that?

"One time I had go from s̶o̶m̶e̶ ̶s̶h̶i̶t̶h̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶r̶y̶ ̶t̶o̶w̶n̶ a lovely little town in Gippsland straight to the airport to get to Canberra for a Cabinet meeting. The Commowealth car broke down. Driver said it'd be a couple hours before another could get there. Ho ho ho Scott is a tough and fair leader but he doesn't like tardiness! It was a stressful 20 minutes until my staffer finally found an Uber. Yes... you do sacrifice being a parent in politics. Now let's talk about my roast chicken."

Last edited:

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond

What you are conflating, is her wish to earn a proper income, and to put her kids thru some blue-blood school, and not have to rely on her husband being partner in some lawfirm, because if tragedy strikes she has to be responsible for a family if they have not taken out life insurance.

This is the social mores and economy of the last 20 years, it is few who have the select gigs as 730 host, RN Morning + Drive, chief writer like Grattan was at Fairfax, and the head pundit on Sky. Crabb and Raf Epstein were chief europe foreign journos in London and Moscow. They needed to come home to Australia. But their is a restricted amount of key gigs for the better journos. Hence, they either take the economic option, or, Raf does a 774 Drive, and may write a proper book every 5 years.

We can pot Paul Barry and poke holes in Kerry O'Brien and Leigh Sales, but this fails to recognise even the perfect media and perfect journo is contrived, the system enforces it.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
What you are conflating, is her wish to earn a proper income, and to put her kids thru some blue-blood school, and not have to rely on her husband being partner in some lawfirm, because if tragedy strikes she has to be responsible for a family if they have not taken out life insurance.

This is the social mores and economy of the last 20 years, it is few who have the select gigs as 730 host, RN Morning + Drive, chief writer like Grattan was at Fairfax, and the head pundit on Sky. Crabb and Raf Epstein were chief europe foreign journos in London and Moscow. They needed to come home to Australia. But their is a restricted amount of key gigs for the better journos. Hence, they either take the economic option, or, Raf does a 774 Drive, and may write a proper book every 5 years.

We can pot Paul Barry and poke holes in Kerry O'Brien and Leigh Sales, but this fails to recognise even the perfect media and perfect journo is contrived, the system enforces it.

Wants $500,000 year instead of $200,000. Well that makes it okay.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
Wants $500,000 year instead of $200,000. Well that makes it okay.
300k and super to have equiv retirement income. If she was in private sector as a lawyer for Freehills she would be on a million per.

I make no value judgement on her income quantum. But this is the current attitude in the market that PJK with Hawke and Kelty begun ushering in. Didnt Hawkie just sell his harbourside establishment for 16 mill?

To live in such refined standard, comes with some presumption when you scale the top echelons of your industry in Australia 2020. again, I assert, no value judgement on the material and conspicuous consumption. It is not for me, but the ABC pundits deserve to be well compensated. See the incomes of those on the BBC. They start at GBP£2million for equivalent positions. Why? good question. confluence of social mores, and economic imperative. NB. once they ascend to this position, they have effectively isolated their position from the other*.
*definition of other dilemma. my incoherence of argument.

Back