Unofficial Preview Round 1 2019 Western Bulldogs v Sydney Saturday March 23, 7.30pm at Marvel Stadium

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buddy will 10000% play round one.

Depending on his progression I wonder if the club will be tempted to give him a few minutes in the NEAFL practice game.

Could be quite comical seeing him play at that level but a little bit of match conditioning, should his body be ready for it, wouldn’t hurt.

Depending on his progression I wonder if the club will be tempted to give him a few minutes in the NEAFL practice game.

Could be quite comical seeing him play at that level but a little bit of match conditioning, should his body be ready for it, wouldn’t hurt.

if it did happen then the defender in the other team would be telling his grand kids about that one time he lined up on Buddy Franklin. He would not even care if Buddy smashed him.

Wow! That would sure attract a crowd. I don't know if Buddy has ever played in the 2s

if it did happen then the defender in the other team would be telling his grand kids about that one time he lined up on Buddy Franklin. He would not even care if Buddy smashed him.

Might be a better story if he did smash him lol

There’s no way Buddy won’t be playing in a round one in a Swans match. None

Might be a better story if he did smash him lol

I remember when I was 14 and I was playing cricket bowling against the undisputed best player in the league. He was an amazing batter, and as a fast bowler he was scary fast. Everyone was certain he was going to play for NSW/Australia one day (never did though I don't know why). ANyway I was bowling and he hit me for two sixes in the over, and then on the 5th ball he went for another massive hit, mishit it and I got him out (a fielder caught it).

For so long I was looking forward to telling everyone that I once got this guy out. I was so disappointed when he seemingly gave up the game as he robbed me of that story :p

FWIW

B: Rampe, Melican, Aliir

HB: Mills, Grundy, Lloyd

C: Florent, Kennedy, Cunningham

HF: Heeney, Franklin, Hewett

F: Ronke, Reid, Hayward

R: Sinclair, Parker, Jones

INT: Papley, McVeigh, Clarke, Dawson

EMG: Blakey, O’Riordan, Thurlow

Bulldogs are best option for Buddy’s return.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

FWIW

B: Rampe, Melican, Aliir

HB: Mills, Grundy, Lloyd

C: Florent, Kennedy, Cunningham

HF: Heeney, Franklin, Hewett

F: Ronke, Reid, Hayward

R: Sinclair, Parker, Jones

INT: Papley, McVeigh, Clarke, Dawson

EMG: Blakey, O’Riordan, Thurlow

Bulldogs are best option for Buddy’s return.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

You don't think Blakey and Dawson can be in the same team?

We will need pace if we want to get on top of this Bulldogs team.

I think we have no excuse for not playing with pace. I'm not expecting us to dominate possession yet with so many new faces running through there, and I think we will still lose the midfield battle as often as we win it this year. But what I do think we have no excuse for is getting it out of the middle with speed. With Florent, Jones, Cunningham and Papley running through there, we suddenly have some outside pace that should mean it doesn't take us 40 seconds to a minute just to get it out of the middle. Like I said we'll still go through patches where opponents play keeping-off, because we just don't have the contested brutes to win possession all that frequently, and our skills will still be inconsistent at best, heinous to watch at worst. But I see no reason why we shouldn't be able to get it into attacking positions very quickly when we do have possession.

People not thinking Thurlow will make the cut? Slightly surprised, 776 metres gained across both games. Only 2 players had more: Cunningham (825m), and Papley with (915m) - but worth noting with Papley, 663 of those came against the GC witches hats.
Thurlows metres gained against the Giants (the more significant opponent) was 80+ metres higher than the next best teammate (Heeney) in that game.
I know this stats not the be all and end all, and can be pretty misleading at times because long bomb turnover kicks add metres, but even watching I thought over both games he and Cunningham's foot-skills were a cut above most others....especially when some others were missing really, really simple 15m chip kicks.
Thurlow got the ball moving quicker/made quicker decisions than a lot of our other defenders often do too, which I think is really important to good transition.
But only 70 minutes played so maybe Horse is thinking he's just outside the 22.

Thurlow will be in, you would think.

I think Kolah's 25 is on the money, the question marks for round 1 are Sinclair, Franklin, Dawson and Blakey. If the former two are fit then they will play. If not, they open up opportunities for the latter two.

I suspect Dawson, Blakey and O'Riordan will end up missing out, which is a shame because I think they all deserve a start and could do the job at AFL level, but these are good problems to have and their opportunities will come soon enough.

Thurlow will be in, you would think.

I think Kolah's 25 is on the money, the question marks for round 1 are Sinclair, Franklin, Dawson and Blakey. If the former two are fit then they will play. If not, they open up opportunities for the latter two.

I suspect Dawson, Blakey and O'Riordan will end up missing out, which is a shame because I think they all deserve a start and could do the job at AFL level, but these are good problems to have and their opportunities will come soon enough.

I really can't see either of the first two not playing. Dawson averaged 15.5 disposals and 7 marks across both JLT matches, and Blakey is an academy product who is obviously rated highly enough internally that Horse has made him play three full matches so far this pre-season. I have question marks about both being in the round one team as well but can't see Horse not backing them. I think with Sinclair's return, Aliir will go back to being in defence and both Dawson and Blakey can rotate as the third tall alongside Buddy and Reid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really can't see either of the first two not playing. Dawson averaged 15.5 disposals and 7 marks across both JLT matches, and Blakey is an academy product who is obviously rated highly enough internally that Horse has made him play three full matches so far this pre-season. I have question marks about both being in the round one team as well but can't see Horse not backing them. I think with Sinclair's return, Aliir will go back to being in defence and both Dawson and Blakey can rotate as the third tall alongside Buddy and Reid.

I'd be happy for them to be in the 22... but who is dropping out of it to allow them to come in if Sinclair and Franklin are fit?

I don't see them displacing one of Papley, Ronke or Hayward in the forward line. Cunningham, Florent and Clarke are ahead of them in the midfield rotations. Maybe an argument could be made for us not needing all three of McVeigh, Lloyd and Thurlow if Aliir is playing back and not having to ruck all day, maybe Melican is dropped... But still, I'm finding it hard to get them both in there if Sinclair and Franklin come in.

Last edited:
I'd be happy for them to be in the 22... but who is dropping out of it to allow them to come in if Sinclair and Franklin are fit?

I don't see them displacing one of Papley, Ronke or Hayward in the forward line. Cunningham, Florent and Clarke are ahead of them in the midfield rotations. Maybe an argument could be made for us not needing all three of McVeigh, Lloyd and Thurlow if Aliir is playing back and not having to ruck all day, maybe Melican is dropped... But still, I'm finding it hard to get them both in there if Sinclair and Franklin come in.

Sinclair wouldn't play forward, he'd play in the ruck, so I don't think Sinclair is really relevant to what Dawson or Blakey are doing as forwards. I think Ronke may be the unlucky one. I just think the first few weeks of the season, because of the new rules, will be very important to have guys who can take strong marks and be strong leading targets. I could see Dawson or Blakey really benefitting from the isolation they may be afforded, as opposed to Ronke who only benefits from ground balls. Once the rules inevitably fizzle out after the first month or so, I think one of Blakey or Dawson may struggle to impact a little and it will revert back to who can pressure and scrap their way into goals and conjure them out of nothing, in which case Ronke > either of them.

But only 70 minutes played so maybe Horse is thinking he's just outside the 22.
Apparently Thurlow like Reid was battling some gastro in the lead up to the game on the weekend (one might assume Lloyd had the same Curry?), so that perhaps explains his time on ground and maybe lesser impact this week.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/s...-suns-ng-47091e71924cfccdd737ffdca6e5a7b5.amp

Longmire is hopeful that both Jackson Thurlow and Sam Reid will be fully recovered from a touch of gastro in time for the Suns clash.

Apparently Thurlow like Reid was battling some gastro in the lead up to the game on the weekend (one might assume Lloyd had the same Curry?), so that perhaps explains his time on ground and maybe lesser impact this week.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/s...-suns-ng-47091e71924cfccdd737ffdca6e5a7b5.amp

Longmire is hopeful that both Jackson Thurlow and Sam Reid will be fully recovered from a touch of gastro in time for the Suns clash.

Might explain why Reid looked to be shitting himself every time the ball came to him.

Might explain why Reid looked to be shitting himself every time the ball came to him.

He looked pretty lethargic at ground level, it made sense when I found he had been battling gastro.

He did draw defenders which gave opportunities to others though.

(I did have a giggle at “shitting himself” given the context) :p

Sam Reid! What an enigma. Is he just a very tall decoy or a more than viable target? If he remains fit, can we expect 30+ goals?

After last year when McCartin was our other tall, we face being embarassed by riches.

Buddy, Reid, McCartin, Dawson, Blakey and Menzell are all 190cm +. After Buddy who comprises our next best two tall forwards?

Reid is our best mark. Blakey and Dawson our best kicks, Menzell is a proven goal kicker and McCartin is the best pack buster. It is an unusual dilemma.

At the moment Dawson seems the most flexible, being able to play high half fwd and deep as well as taking a run through the wing and mids. He plays.

For me, Reid is vital in providing the best alternative target to Buddy. He plays.

Blakey is an excellent kick and needs few possessions. He plays, but limited minutes, rotating with Buddy and the other two.

Even though he'd hate it, I would like Buddy to play limited minutes, 70% tog at the most.

Menzell will get his chances but needs to be very fit given his history.

Tommy is the unlucky one. I do not see him getting many games provided the others remain fit.

Sam Reid! What an enigma. Is he just a very tall decoy or a more than viable target? If he remains fit, can we expect 30+ goals?

After last year when McCartin was our other tall, we face being embarassed by riches.

Buddy, Reid, McCartin, Dawson, Blakey and Menzell are all 190cm +. After Buddy who comprises our next best two tall forwards?

Reid is our best mark. Blakey and Dawson our best kicks, Menzell is a proven goal kicker and McCartin is the best pack buster. It is an unusual dilemma.

At the moment Dawson seems the most flexible, being able to play high half fwd and deep as well as taking a run through the wing and mids. He plays.

For me, Reid is vital in providing the best alternative target to Buddy. He plays.

Blakey is an excellent kick and needs few possessions. He plays, but limited minutes, rotating with Buddy and the other two.

Even though he'd hate it, I would like Buddy to play limited minutes, 70% tog at the most.

Menzell will get his chances but needs to be very fit given his history.

Tommy is the unlucky one. I do not see him getting many games provided the others remain fit.

He is a tall decoy that’s it. Dawson is a better mark than Reid already and he’s 6 years younger and 6cm shorter.

Heeney, Florent, Lloyd and Jack will be right for r1 according to injury report

Surely we can’t be serious playing Jack?

We are already playing McVeigh and that’s bad enough with these new rules and him being as slow as a cement truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back