Movie Marvel Cinematic Universe - News, updates and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The movie was perfectly fine and absolutely nothing given away by the trailers, including the alleged "wooden" performance by Larson. She was very good, handled the snappy lines well and smiled a damn lot.

Mendelsohn was the overall MVP though, as expected with his clout. The whole movie exceeded expectations IMO. Slow start but once the first half hour is out of the way it's as good as any other "second tier" MCU entry.

The movie was perfectly fine and absolutely nothing given away by the trailers, including the alleged "wooden" performance by Larson. She was very good, handled the snappy lines well and smiled a damn lot.

Mendelsohn was the overall MVP though, as expected with his clout. The whole movie exceeded expectations IMO. Slow start but once the first half hour is out of the way it's as good as any other "second tier" MCU entry.

Certainly wasn't wooden as the trailers showed, but also wasn't in the same ball park of owning the screen like the other actors who are now established as the flagship heroes of this Universe.

This could be a problem going forward if they are going to drop CM in among all those other stars and expect the fans to buy this character as being equal with the established stars.

Entertaining enough but a fair bit wrong with it at the same time when looking at it from the view of the actual story lines and how certain characters were portrayed.

Certainly wasn't wooden as the trailers showed, but also wasn't in the same ball park of owning the screen like the other actors who are now established as the flagship heroes of this Universe.

This could be a problem going forward if they are going to drop CM in among all those other stars and expect the fans to buy this character as being equal with the established stars.

Entertaining enough but a fair bit wrong with it at the same time when looking at it from the view of the actual story lines and how certain characters were portrayed.

It's a tricky one as there are many charismatic actors in the MCU - Downey Jr, Hemsworth, Pratt, Rudd etc.

I'd say this movies spiritual "brother" was Doctor Strange. A hard sell concept wise with an actor who is far from known for his exuberance and a movie that just surprises.

As far as being equal than that's not necessarily an issue bringing her into the Infinity War, Thanos with the gauntlet intact is still a behemoth, she just levels the playing field. I'm not even sure her overall power is too far advanced than the gradual god of thunder Thor has become.

As far as being equal as an actor she showed as much if not more personality than what you're getting out of Evans, Johanssen, Cumberbatch, Renner and to a lesser degree Ruffalo. Will sit in the middle for me and then will be out of the picture moving forward until the Celestials make their way in. The MCU will probably find a defined split between the cosmic side and the Earth bound side once Infinity War is finished.

I really enjoyed the movie - but am I the only one who thinks she is likely very over powered?

Marvel have done a good job of avoiding a Superman type figure, who can just dominate everything; but it seems like that is Captain Marvel...

I didn’t get the impression she’ll dominate everything, just provide a very tough opponent for even the toughest forces in the MCU. Against Thanos, that will be crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a tricky one as there are many charismatic actors in the MCU - Downey Jr, Hemsworth, Pratt, Rudd etc.

I'd say this movies spiritual "brother" was Doctor Strange. A hard sell concept wise with an actor who is far from known for his exuberance and a movie that just surprises.

I was thinking she inspired me as much at Jeremy Renner did in this universe when he appeared.

As far as being equal than that's not necessarily an issue bringing her into the Infinity War, Thanos with the gauntlet intact is still a behemoth, she just levels the playing field. I'm not even sure her overall power is too far advanced than the gradual god of thunder Thor has become.

The fact a character is going to be just dropped into that kind of role from one entertaining but not inspiring origin film could undo a lot of the good work leading up to End Game if it's not done right.

As far as being equal as an actor she showed as much if not more personality than what you're getting out of Evans, Johanssen, Cumberbatch, Renner and to a lesser degree Ruffalo. Will sit in the middle for me and then will be out of the picture moving forward until the Celestials make their way in. The MCU will probably find a defined split between the cosmic side and the Earth bound side once Infinity War is finished.

Evans plays CA perfectly imo. he's supposed to be more old fashoined and staid given the era he came from. I agree that she's on a level with Johanssen and Renner, which is concerning as they are just support characters, CM is supposed to be a major player.

I actually think EC was perfect for Dr Strange.

I didn’t get the impression she’ll dominate everything, just provide a very tough opponent for even the toughest forces in the MCU. Against Thanos, that will be crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hope you're right - it'd be a shame if after all of this time they just dropped her in as the deus ex machina (/Rey) type thing.

I really enjoyed the movie - but am I the only one who thinks she is likely very over powered?

Marvel have done a good job of avoiding a Superman type figure, who can just dominate everything; but it seems like that is Captain Marvel...

That's part of the rushed back drop of this film.

There was was too much going on and trying to fit too much into one movie meaning there was very little development in regards to the character and their power.

So they just went the direct lazy route and made the character simply turn on and control their super powers quicker than The Flash can take a pee.

I realise that. But it's still a Jean Grey movie.

Black Widow is not a great MCU character imo. Better for a Bond like film than a film in a world of super powered mutants.

It's as much a Jean Grey movie as X-Men Last Stand was, as in it isn't.

Even with the gauntlet on Thor had Thanos and he would be dead if he aimed for the head.
I still suspect we'll get some introductions to other threats whether they are with Thanos or not.

Im sure Marvel have thought long and hard about this.Based on the film it seems like she has abilities similar to Iron man, only stronger.

Infinity War showed that Thanos wasn't unbeatable - the Guardians were able to beat him down and Thor with this new hammer as well. As long as she doesn't rag doll Thanos then I don't think she will be overpowered.

Her biggest weakness is she is so far away and is needed for the defence of the skrulls so she can't come to the rescue every time Earth needs a hero.

Nightcrawler is my fave X-Man..... would love a solo origin film about Kurt.

I think he's one of those characters that's popularity in the comic world far outweighs his profile in the MCU. A lot like Collosus until they finally got him right in Deadpool.

If they were savvy enough they'd create a tv series called Origins.

Take all these other characters in the Marvel universe that have lesser roles and make an hour long weekly epsiode on each ones back story.

That way new characters can be introduced or others rebooted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tumblr_n3zkvps36z1r01oj1o1_1280.gif

I still can't bring myself to watch X-men Apocolypse.

He was such a brutal character in the comics, with a head to match, and the look they gave him in that Fox movie was like a shitty cosplay version of Arnold's Mr Freeze. :'(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back