Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
One is out there: the other isn't. Thats it in a nutshell.

It’s the pre season and up until recently Kruezer had looked great. Really fit. He will be back soon.

The Phillips criticism is over the top but when all playing Kruezer is easily the best ruckman. Not even a discussion

What I hope is Phillips can keep improving so we have the option to manage MK when needed. If so he could easily play for 3-4 year yet

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anyone tell me what position Paddy Dow played all game yesterday. He done some really nice things but didn't accumulate as much disposal as you would of liked.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Dow is interesting for me. Stood right next to him on Saturday and still a skinny boy. Even LOB has muscled up more. I think this year might be a bit of struggle for him after a poor pre season.

Will be a star and has all the attributes but I’m not sure he has anywhere near the body yet.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The team just isn't playing as a team yet and that's not because they don't want to but the dots aren't connecting easily for now.

Confident this group will start putting the pieces together and start clocking up the numbers the Collingwood mids can do, sooner than later.

IMO we are a minimum 2 years away from what Collingwood are producing. You can’t beat experience, mature bodies and learning to play as a group. It takes time but we have the talent

I think we are doing well but patience required

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Dow is interesting for me. Stood right next to him on Saturday and still a skinny boy. Even LOB has muscled up more. I think this year might be a bit of struggle for him after a poor pre season.

Will be a star and has all the attributes but I’m not sure he has anywhere near the body yet.
But he just finds the ball....and his defensive game is already improving....thought he did a good job yesterday going 3/4 pace.

Canyouhearthedrums

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Can anyone tell me what position Paddy Dow played all game yesterday. He done some really nice things but didn't accumulate as much disposal as you would of liked.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Mostly on ball. I was surprised at how low his possession count was - felt like he was more involved that it would suggest.

That said, our possession count overall was down. We struggled to control and move the ball cleanly for most of the game, so it wasn’t just him.

IMO we are a minimum 2 years away from what Collingwood are producing. You can’t beat experience, mature bodies and learning to play as a group. It takes time but we have the talent

I think we are doing well but patience required

There's little overlap running and taking possession from a stationary position can make the quickest players look slow and open to being tackled.

Once the likes of Dow, Fisher, Walsh, SPS etc take possession at 80% speed, they'll be hard to catch and will cause problems for defenders.
Not too far away

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
There's little overlap running and taking possession from a stationary position can make the quickest players look slow and open to being tackled.

Once the likes of Dow, Fisher, Walsh, SPS etc take possession at 80% speed, they'll be hard to catch and will cause problems for defenders.
Not too far away

Just don't think you can beat cohesion and mature bodies. It will come but takes time

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Mostly on ball. I was surprised at how low his possession count was - felt like he was more involved that it would suggest.

That said, our possession count overall was down. We struggled to control and move the ball cleanly for most of the game, so it wasn’t just him.
Much prefer our more effective low posssion count than their garbage million posessions of mostly waste. Footy is funny like that. I swear people get so obsessed with the wrong kind of stats.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy

I saw him interviewed by Dal Santo. Still looks very skinny for a league player but in time it will change.

Canyouhearthedrums

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Much prefer our more effective low posssion count than their garbage million posessions of mostly waste. Footy is funny like that. I swear people get so obsessed with the wrong kind of stats.

It’s got nothing to do with stats and everything to do with our game being light years away from being ‘more effective’.

Ours is currently a low possession, high contested ball game, which doesn’t exactly lend itself to clean movement and the creation of 1 on 1s for our forwards. Collingwood (for example) control of the game and ball movement is far far superior and creates better opportunities. More time and space generally equals better scoring opportunities, it’s not controversial.

Chipping Collingwood for the way they play is just bias imo. They are a much better side, with a better style and the fact they just played in a GF is the ultimate evidence of that. We’ll get there and will have developed our own style but we ain’t there yet.

Soapy V

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
What I got out of today was that in a few years time, we are going to have a ridiculously good midfield.

That Pies mid group was seasoned. Pendles (277 games, 31), Treloar (139 games, 26), Sidebottom (211 games, 28), Beams (168 games, 29), Adams (120 games, 25).

Average 175 games there, and around 27 or so years on average. Right in their prime.

Our midfield was Cripps (81 games, 23), Walsh (0 games, 18), Setterfield (2 games, 21), SPS (42 games, 21), Dow (20 games, 19), Fisher (34 games, 20).

Average of around 30 games, and an average age under 21.

Highlights it perfectly. It's the reason why teams like Richmond, WCE, Pies then step up to challenge for flags. Can't beat it.

Yesterday convinced me we need to add 1 or 2 mature quality mids at the end of the year to help our group through

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
It’s got nothing to do with stats and everything to do with our game being light years away from being ‘more effective’.

Ours is currently a low possession, high contested ball game, which doesn’t exactly lend itself to clean movement and the creation of 1 on 1s for our forwards. Collingwood (for example) control of the game and ball movement is far far superior and creates better opportunities. More time and space generally equals better scoring opportunities, it’s not controversial.

Chipping Collingwood for the way they play is just bias imo. They are a much better side, with a better style and the fact they just played in a GF is the ultimate evidence of that. We’ll get there and will have developed our own style but we ain’t there yet.
Nevertheless it was only 4 points and a moral victory in my mind. One straight kick and the talk would be how bad are Collingwood beaten by the wooden spooners. A practice match and we only went in hard in the last quarter.

TooBlue14

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
Look at the dogs be GC game. Dogs had 3 players get 40 disposals and GC had at best a 25 possession player. They won. Stat padding is the new thing. Keepings off is not the way you want to get ready for round 1. Coz the game won’t be played that way. Surprisingly we had more inside 50s. They had 30% more free kicks that seemed unfair. Players getting tackled while letting go of the ball and getting freed for holding on. It’s bullshit. It’s not in the spirit of the game and it makes Collingwood players look soft. We get similar treatment and because the tackle drives our player into the ground they reward it. Even st times we were trying to release the ball and it falling out. When we get stronger these will be handballs to our players rather than free kicks to Collingwood. I reckon Collingwood will be 0-3 by round 4 till they play western bulldogs. Which they could easily lose at marvel.

Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Little bit on both stats and creating space.

As mentioned earlier, a very clear difference between the two sides at the ground was Collingwood players knowing without thinking where their team mates were going to be in traffic. It was also clear on several occasions when our young mids missed the optimum play; you could actually see the split second time to work it out, the look to go there, and the moment having passed.

With those two factors at play, when Collingwood found the first hint of space in traffic they often instinctively went in close to a marginally better situation and from there were able to free up real space to work with and start the chain of controlled possessions.

In contrast, Carlton players who got a whiff of space were mostly likely to try and accelerate out of it or get the ball away quickly. We didn't often turn a little bit of space into a bit more space before pulling the trigger.

Time, experience and the cohesion found by playing together.

Blue Chip Pass

All Australian
Apr 20, 2017
Warrandyte
AFL Club
Carlton
Overall, very happy with the result. It's a bit frustrating hearing criticism so early in the piece.
Collingwood were very slick with quick hands around the midfield.
We not only hung in there, to fight to the end. Had we kicked even 50% of the goals we should have,
would have won by 3 - 4 goals.
I just hope we convert better with the season proper.
Pretty happy with the Blues. :thumbsu::thumbsu::rainbow:

billybloggs

Debutant
Aug 21, 2009
Traralgon
AFL Club
Carlton
The wind at the ground has not been mentioned? Collingwood had the wind in the first quarter. Both teams sort to attack down the one wing going with the wind. This allowed us to defend very well, as them. Defences were on top for both sides. The wind caught hold of and held up any up and under kicks.

Collingwoods better foot skills allowed them to score against the wind more effectively but we were still very good at getting behind the ball forcing Collingwood to chip to and fro across the middle until an opportunity presented. last year we would have been blown out of the water in the first quarter by not playing that style of game.

We sort to take the game on by clearing stoppages with run where they used handball to create space. this style at times caused uncertainty for our forwards

In the last quarter I thought we had finally found some synergy going forward and looked very dangerous with our talls. Our intensity with fewer rotations was actually better than Collingwood at games end so I think our fitness levels have certainly improved.

Make no mistake, both sides really wanted to win.

kjr8

Club Legend
Sep 10, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
1. Pies mauled us early in the game, but as the game went on, our mids fought back and ended the game on top in stoppage clearances around the ground. Our concern remains in centre bounce stoppages where we could really take advantage of our 3 tall setup but we need a dominant ruck to take full advantage of the new 6-6-6 rule.

2. Our team defence looked much better and was able to stifle and stop pies transition out of their back half; which can be attributed to their high disposal numbers, as they were forced to go less direct.

3. Our forward I50 entries still need a lot of work; though it's encouraging that the sublime entries came from the likes of Weitering, Walsh.. there were still far too many blind bombs inside 50 (disappointingly, from more experienced players)

Bring on Round 1, can't wait how we stack up with the best in the real stuff..

Blue and Blue

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 29, 2018
On the glory road
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Everton
Overall, very happy with the result. It's a bit frustrating hearing criticism so early in the piece.
Collingwood were very slick with quick hands around the midfield.
We not only hung in there, to fight to the end. Had we kicked even 50% of the goals we should have,
would have won by 3 - 4 goals.
I just hope we convert better with the season proper.
Pretty happy with the Blues. :thumbsu::thumbsu::rainbow:
I think there are some that only come here to criticise. Will never see the positives. A shame that.
The thing is we started to click at the end. Now a full game would go longer and we were about to blast them off the park.
Now I arent saying that will happen round one. But there is definite progress.
Each game we have finished strong.

Iamcarlton

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2015
Up North
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Cubs , Penguins
;)

I think there is a lot of wasted possession in modern footy but the pies generally move the ball beautifully from defence to scoring opportunity . The ease that they took it out of our forwardline at times was ridiculous yesterday and is something we need to improve immensely .
Only trouble for them was their goalkicking they wasted their chances in front of goal in the first half lot of them relatively easy shots they possibly should have been 6-8 goals up at half time .

Last edited:
Back