Preview JLT 2: vs Lions @ Casey Fields Saturday 9th March 4:40pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, got 1 week, and rightfully so, stupid act as has been pointed out, he needs to kerb his way, it seems as though he has taken his trait from the Suns to the Demons.

Rubbish, people are so inconsistent. If that was Cam Rayner on Jay Kennedy-Harris you wouldnt hold the same opinion.
There was * all in it and Berry needs to learn how to protect himself, clearly played far too much non contact TAC footy as a junior

Imo they were harsh on impact based on their own guidelines.

"The three things we take into account with impact is the visual look of the incident, the player reaction and also the medical report," Christian said.

"Taking all those things into account, and the fact that Berry didn't return to the ground, it was graded as medium impact."

Berry didn't come back on late in the last quarter in a meaningless practice match. In a JLT game you don't return to the ground if you trip over your boot lases and Berry wasn't injured. I agree the look is bad but their grading on the 'look' of incidents has never been consistent.

It would have been more honest to just say he gets one week for stupidity and leave it at that.

Not at all. Berry went down like a leaf. It was pathetic, the contact was negligible.

He’s a big chassis and little blokes are going to get pin balled when he’s around. I’m all for protecting the head, but this is big man vs little man...
What a hero you have there , good luck with keeping him on the park , or out of jail.
He's got nothing on Jones , that's the type of player I would be applauding, absolute champion, when the chips were down he didn't start sooking , turning to cheap shots to ease frustration , just kept working hard.

Yeah. I was lucky enough to get a snap with him holding the young fella in Luna Park that year. Good country lad, great with the kids, but couldn’t get much out of him then. Lucky enough to get a snap with him again this year, before the queue formed. Still couldn’t get much out of him...

The Family Day seemed a bit of an anti-climax this year. The young fella had been talking about it for months. He kept going on about the inflatable slide, which was a huge hit with him last year. Of course, there was no inflatable slide this year.

I placated him with an $8 ice cream cone. As I waited for him to finish, I listened to a Melbourne official arguing with a member who had the audacity to ask for an extra plastic ‘Jack Viney’ cup for his son who wasn’t with him.

I looked at my son and told him, ‘You’re a Melbourne supporter now, boy. You better suck it up and get used to disappointment. Hope is for fools.

Now, go cut me a switch. Papa is gonna lin you some mannas.’ (Just kidding... I didn’t really use that accent!)
Yeah I felt the family day might have been a bit lacklustre for small children - who are basically the audience that it is designed for. Needed some more rides and diversions, otherwise it becomes a three hour event comprised virtually entirely of standing in long queues for a photo with a player punctuated by standing in long queues at limited food trucks. For some weird reason, only one truck was ‘permitted’ to sell coffee - so buying a coffee and then a ham cheese jaffle took the best part of 45 minutes.

However mission accomplished - I got Jack Viney cups for harry000 and Gysberts2Bate

Steven May might be listed at 193cm but when you take into account how spineless he is, he actually stands at around 180cm.
Jog on mate.

Yeah I felt the family day might have been a bit lacklustre for small children - who are basically the audience that it is designed for. Needed some more rides and diversions, otherwise it becomes a three hour event comprised virtually entirely of standing in long queues for a photo with a player punctuated by standing in long queues at limited food trucks. For some weird reason, only one truck was ‘permitted’ to sell coffee - so buying a coffee and then a ham cheese jaffle took the best part of 45 minutes.

However mission accomplished - I got Jack Viney cups for harry000 and Gysberts2Bate
Unreal. Thanks.

That “hit” was inconsequential in 99% of cases. Tall bloke put basically a basketball screen on a small bloke and is penalised because of a height difference.

He didn’t even hurt him.

Berry didn’t come back on after the bump.

I’m not saying it was a really bad one, it was just dumb and it’s cost him a week.

I’d be less disappointed but for the fact it was a practise game, his first for our club and his record for this stuff is pretty poor.

I just want him out on the park and not missing games for pointless acts.

I don't understand how people are calling this decision soft. He elected to bump and got the bloke high. If it was 3cm lower it would have been fine because it wouldnt' have been his head. Pretty simple to understand.

The most I can argue against the decision is it should have been a fine due to it being low force not moderate. It's ridiculous to use Berry not returning in a JLT game as a reason to upgrade the force level. Of cause he's not going to come back on in a praccy match.

Officially challenging the call, tribunal is tonight.
I’m glad. It’s a 50/50 one so needs clarity.

My key objection to the way this has played out was the description that the penalty was graded with reference to factors which included the ‘look’ of the incident and also the fact that the injured player didn’t return (in a practice match). Neither seem particularly material.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit of an overreaction by some Lions fans in here. Besides being a bit winded, there didn't actually appear to be anything wrong with Berry, and I doubt he misses r1 because of it.
So if Berrys not injured, sat out the rest of last quarter just as a precaution and doesn't miss a game, then why exactly does May have to miss a game? I think there's a good chance that this could be downgraded to just a fine.
Of course there's always the chance the Lions sold May down the river with their medical report, due to their previous history of May belting the crap out of them.

Bit of an overreaction by some Lions fans in here. Besides being a bit winded, there didn't actually appear to be anything wrong with Berry, and I doubt he misses r1 because of it.
So if Berrys not injured, sat out the rest of last quarter just as a precaution and doesn't miss a game, then why exactly does May have to miss a game? I think there's a good chance that this could be downgraded to just a fine.
Of course there's always the chance the Lions sold May down the river with their medical report, due to their previous history of May belting the crap out of them.
Because he elected to bump and got him high... Thats the way it has always been.
I also think it could be downgraded to a fine due to low rather than medium however he needs to learn to cut that crap out and a $1000 fine isn't gonna do anything.

Rubbish, people are so inconsistent. If that was Cam Rayner on Jay Kennedy-Harris you wouldnt hold the same opinion.
There was **** all in it and Berry needs to learn how to protect himself, clearly played far too much non contact TAC footy as a junior

Nah if Rayner performed that kind of bump I’d think down on him for it and would think he would deserve a week if he possessed a record like May.

Nah if Rayner performed that kind of bump I’d think down on him for it and would think he would deserve a week if he possessed a record like May.

Yeah wouldn't be happy about it. But Rayner's not that kind of player anyway. If I were a Melbourne fan I'd be pretty peeved. I'm thinking the boys in charge had a stern talk with May

Because he elected to bump and got him high... Thats the way it has always been.
I also think it could be downgraded to a fine due to low rather than medium however he needs to learn to cut that crap out and a $1000 fine isn't gonna do anything.
there's plenty of low impact hits to the head in games that don't even receive a free kick, let alone a fine, let alone a suspension. May kept his arm tucked in and hit him mostly down the front, with the ball in the immediate area. May elected to bump, but he couldn't really tackle him as Berry had already disposed of the ball a fraction earlier, so I don't see a problem there either. the mistake he made was he clipped Berry a little high accidently, but no obvious damage was done. to me its low impact. it sits in the fine area of punishment imo. he shouldn't get off for nothing, but a suspension is being too harsh.

Jeez lions fans casting some fair assertions on May's character due to some white line fever and on field incidents.

Big from a club whose captain cheats on his partner and breaks up his young family.

I know who I'd rather at my club

Jeez lions fans casting some fair assertions on May's character due to some white line fever and on field incidents.

Big from a club whose captain cheats on his partner and breaks up his young family.

You also forgot one of the worst losers and winners in the game. Remember when he refused to shake Touk Millers hand after a loss then mocked him when they won the next game?

Three Jack Viney cups? How did you manage to get past the guardians of the plastic cup quota?

Hasn't he now been reprimanded 10 times? And knocked out the SME with a dog hit? Hardly unreasonable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back