Strategy Trade and List management Thread Part 2 (opposition supporters - READ posting rules before posting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hard to argue with Griffen who played 200 games for us but we missed out on probably the greatest KPF since Wayne Carey in that draft. Buddy went at pick 5. We took Griffen at pick 3 (at least it wasn't Tambling!)

Tom Williams was close to being "best of the rest" in a shallow draft that year. It was stacked at the top (Franklin, Griffen, Roughead, Deledio) but after pick 5 it fell away sharply. Even with hindsight the only obviously better selection was Jordan Lewis at pick 7. We took Williams at pick 6.

I suspect that Clayton had in mind we should select one A grade midfielder and one A grade KPP. Roughead was already gone (pick 2) so he went Griffen+Williams, but what if he'd decided to go the other way around? We could have easily ended up with Franklin and Lewis.

As for Williams I think he could genuinely play but his career was cruelled by injury. Hard to blame that on Clayton. With the benefit of hindsight I still can't find too many after Lewis that I'd have taken in preference to Williams (if he'd been able to stay fit).

You overlooked Ayce Cordy and Farren Ray by the way. How stiff were we that we had picks 1 & 4 in one of the shallowest drafts of all time. Cooney was a legit #1 pick but Ray would normally have gone about pick 12-25. Even at the time he didn't stand out as an obvious top 5 pick.

The ones I found least comprehensible though were Everitt, Howard and Sherman. Utter lunacy. At least the others had some sort of plausible logic even if they didn't work out.
Williams was the enigma that plagued the dogs for a few years. Every year he was bursting for a breakout season, only to be cruelled by injury. 197cm, 97kg bloke with wicked athleticism and a damaging kick. When fit, he was a fantastic key defender. I remember him giving Buddy an absolute bath down in Tassie when Bud was in his prime. The media went insane, Tom was injured a few weeks later. Could go forward and snag the occasional one too.

Ripper bloke whoi is now in the player management industry & doing well. Onya biscuits. Best nickname in footy.

Oh boy Scott Clayton blunders lol

The nostalgia

Wasn't just in the top two rounds either, he had Podsiadly dominating at Werribee for years and when the decision came to draft him or another with one of our last picks he went with an unknown Queensland kid who did his ACL and was never sighted

Seriously...

Sam Collins looking good for the Suns. Hopefully there is a similar player in the mid season draft. Want to free Naughton to play a floating role
I was keen on Matthew Hammelmann from Redlands in the NEAFL for this exact reason, even though he kicked 60 goals last
year the added bonus was the fact his nine games at Brisbane were as a KPD in defence. At just under 200 cm he is quick
on the lead and has great hands, but he may be just not an AFL player in terms of his persona, I have never met the guy.

Oh boy Scott Clayton blunders lol

The nostalgia

Wasn't just in the top two rounds either, he had Podsiadly dominating at Werribee for years and when the decision came to draft him or another with one of our last picks he went with an unknown Queensland kid who did his ACL and was never sighted

Seriously...

Mark Kleiman was a total disaster as well.

depending on how we go in 2019, but does anybody think we have too many mids on the list and we should be looking to offload them? ie dunkley

we have too many accumulators on the list, and its hurting the team balance.

depending on how we go in 2019, but does anybody think we have too many mids on the list and we should be looking to offload them? ie dunkley

we have too many accumulators on the list, and its hurting the team balance.

If we could convince a youngish decent KP to come, Id happily off load Dunkley, Wallis or Hunter to make it happen.

If we could convince a youngish decent KP to come, Id happily off load Dunkley, Wallis or Hunter to make it happen.
No way would it be a good idea to offload Hunter. He just won our B+F, is one of the best wings in the competition, and a much needed leader at the club. People are really overreacting to his average JLT games. Not everyone needs to be a game changer off their boot. Hunter plays his role and does it incredibly well. Wallis is needed up forward, but if isn't played there, then he's no use to us.

I'd be fine with letting one of Dunkley or McLean go in return for brining in a KPD or KPF

No way would it be a good idea to offload Hunter. He just won our B+F, is one of the best wings in the competition, and a much needed leader at the club. People are really overreacting to his average JLT games. Not everyone needs to be a game changer off their boot. Hunter plays his role and does it incredibly well. Wallis is needed up forward, but if isn't played there, then he's no use to us.

I'd be fine with letting one of Dunkley or McLean go in return for brining in a KPD or KPF

Obviously Hunter is highly valued at the club. Its precisely his value that says he would be good tradebait because IMO he is overvalued. Not an opinion based on JLT but his entire career.

Hunter is a brilliant runner and accumulator. He is a safe but poor ball user and this poor disposal only reveals itself when he is kicking for goal. Smart teams may even be happy for him to win the ball.

I wouldnt trade McLean as I think he can have decent vision and use and hurt factor.

Its hypothetical as I dont see the club trading Hunter unless he wants to go or anyone really as I cant see any decent KPs nominating us as a club of choice.

Obviously Hunter is highly valued at the club. Its precisely his value that says he would be good tradebait because IMO he is overvalued. Not an opinion based on JLT but his entire career.

Hunter is a brilliant runner and accumulator. He is a safe but poor ball user and this poor disposal only reveals itself when he is kicking for goal. Smart teams may even be happy for him to win the ball.

I wouldnt trade McLean as I think he can have decent vision and use and hurt factor.

Its hypothetical as I dont see the club trading Hunter unless he wants to go or anyone really as I cant see any decent KPs nominating us as a club of choice.
At the best and fairest, Bevo was talking about how himself and Bont rated Hunter as the most important player in the side, for what it's worth. It's subjective though, so agree to disagree.

Realistically, I think our best case scenario is having Naughton swing forward and recruiting Astbury through free agency at end of year (if possible). I don't think we have much chance of recruiting a KPF ourselves, so we'd need to look within. Boyd won't play until the latter stages of the season, and even then who knows if he'll improve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the best and fairest, Bevo was talking about how himself and Bont rated Hunter as the most important player in the side, for what it's worth. It's subjective though, so agree to disagree.

Realistically, I think our best case scenario is having Naughton swing forward and recruiting Astbury through free agency at end of year (if possible). I don't think we have much chance of recruiting a KPF ourselves, so we'd need to look within. Boyd won't play until the latter stages of the season, and even then who knows if he'll improve

Yep club rates Hunter no doubt.

Astbury is risky due to injury history a few years back but probably worth it. We could nearly double his salary at the Tigers I reckon. Get our recruiter and S Lloyd in Astbury's ear. And then hope Naughton can be our fwd or English (faint hope) .

Dunkley is one of our only true big bodied mids left and he can play forward too, after we got rid of Stevens, ridded ourselves of a few medium forwards like Crameri and Stringer and shuffled around a few others

We simply hold him

Hunter has more competition in his position and players like Richards and Williams could step up into his role, Macrae even as he's versatile as both an inside and outside mid, only thing is I don't like trading family names associated to the club, not sure how it'd affect the group

Dunkley is one of our only true big bodied mids left and he can play forward too, after we got rid of Stevens, ridded ourselves of a few medium forwards like Crameri and Stringer and shuffled around a few others

We simply hold him

Hunter has more competition in his position and players like Richards and Williams could step up into his role, Macrae even as he's versatile as both an inside and outside mid, only thing is I don't like trading family names associated to the club, not sure how it'd affect the group
Agree with the first part, massively disagree with the second. In my opinion, Dunkley is valuable as a big bodied midfielder, and detrimental to the side in the forward line. The opposite applies to Wallis funnily enough. If either of these guys are played outside their best position (mid for Dunkley and forward for Wallis) then they don't belong in our best 22.

Ultimately I can 100% see us trading out a good midfielder at the end of the year to fill our list needs (and address the overabundance of midfielders). The untouchables would likely be Macrae, McLean, Bont and Wallis given they still have 3-4 years each on their contracts.

Dunkley, Williams, Daniel, Webb and Hunter are all out of contract this year. Hunter is in our leadership group, captained a game last year in absence of Wood/Bont, won our best and fairest and is in one of the harder to replace positions (wing), as well as having been quoted as saying they're working on a long term deal. He likely stays. I can genuinely see Williams leaving for South Australia this year unfortunately, and wouldn't be surprised to lose one of Daniel and Webb (the latter not being a huge loss). Dunkley is hard to pick, as we have too many inside mids right now, but his form at the back end of 2018 was nothing short of elite. If he doesn't re-sign during the season, he would have to be hot property. Of that group of 5, I see no way that all 5 remain for next year.

I just hope that in return we can fill some of the holes in our list. Ben Long impressed me in the JLT2 so wouldn't mind bringing him in as a small forward (especially if Cavarra doesn't pan out how we'd like) and would really like to find ourselves some more KPPs

Cordy is a great defender but we need to sacrifice his game and get him up forward. Will add grunt, and played there in 2016 so should have a rough idea on how to play as a forward in a rabble of a forward line.

Wood and Naughty are our defenders and if we're finding we aren't tall enough then Trengrove moves back or even Roberts comes in. But reckon we must get Cordy forward of the footy at this stage.

Best post I’ve read this year. We’d be good mates.

With Morris and Picken probably gone at the end of the year, and who knows about Dickson, we will need to look at a free agent- dont want us to get younger.

Doubt he would leave but I’d love to get David Astbury. We need another key defender. Hope we at least ask the question
FAs and RFAs listed here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-player-contracts-statistics-live-spreadsheet.1207363/

Gold Coast have two RFAs I'd be interested in - Sexton (has genuine goal sense) and Rory Thompson who would be coming off an ACL but is a quality KPD.
Tomlinson from GWS I'd look at too but after their 2018 clean-out I suspect they have the cash for everyone they want to keep.

As a mid Hunter covers more ground than anyone else, that would be a large part of why they rate him I'd say.

FAs and RFAs listed here: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/afl-player-contracts-statistics-live-spreadsheet.1207363/

Gold Coast have two RFAs I'd be interested in - Sexton (has genuine goal sense) and Rory Thompson who would be coming off an ACL but is a quality KPD.
Tomlinson from GWS I'd look at too but after their 2018 clean-out I suspect they have the cash for everyone they want to keep.
I've brought up Sexton on here in the past, I'm a big fan of his. He kicked a bag of 5 last year too which is better than any of our guys ever managed, in a far shitter side.

Thompson impressed me in JLT1 but I'd be worried about him coming back from ACL, although wouldn't discount that entirely. Agree on Tomlinson, just don't see him being touchable, especially if one of Coniglio or Kelly is poached

Yeah I like Sexton. Being from QLD it might be hard to get him out, but worth asking the question

This is one of the biggest errors when recruiting a KPF, sometimes recruiters overlook the traits of a KPD which can be the same as
for a KPF if not better, an example would be Tom McDonald from Melbourne, who saw that coming and yet he has the makings of
a wonderful KPF perhaps as good as any in the competition. Could Aaron Naughton or Lewis Young be the next Tom McDonald ?
Maybe.. :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back