Prediction Best 22 R1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

In all honesty, we’ve barely seen that the 3 tall forward line works well. I’d say we have more data to say the 2 tall forward line works well. Pierce went down early, and we played roughly 3 quarters with 2 talls. Paddy went down before halftime and we played with 2 talls for well over a half too (paddy only played just over 30 mins of game time..).

The data shows that in the 3 tall setup Paddy kicked 2.0 and under the 2 tall setup Paddy kicked 0.0.

I like the 3 talls!

Richmond only had one tall so it was born out of necessity. I like the three talls, if we have them. ( Remembering that Membrey isn’t a true tall.) It’s a point of difference from most other teams and stretches the opposition.
If there was only proof it stretches the opposition last year. I’m sure it works with star forwards but as the footy needs always say a good just plays off an ordinary forward

If there was only proof it stretches the opposition last year. I’m sure it works with star forwards but as the footy needs always say a good just plays off an ordinary forward

We didn’t really get to do it a lot last year because both Paddy and Bruce missed huge chunks.

Back in the day with Roo we won most of our games when playing him, Membrey and Bruce if I recall correctly. I’m far from a coach, but I think there’s merit in it if we have the players.

Probably a moot point though because we could well not have Paddy and I’m not sure playing Marshall just as a forward is the go.

I think Acres will get the gig in the meantime, off an interrupted pre season with no JLT games. We know he can take a strong mark and his goal kicking is usually very good.

We didn’t really get to do it a lot last year because both Paddy and Bruce missed huge chunks.

Back in the day with Roo we won most of our games when playing him, Membrey and Bruce if I recall correctly. I’m far from a coach, but I think there’s merit in it if we have the players.

Probably a moot point though because we could well not have Paddy and I’m not sure playing Marshall just as a forward is the go.

I think Acres will get the gig in the meantime, off an interrupted pre season with no JLT games. We know he can take a strong mark and his goal kicking is usually very good.
I would go with acres. As I said it works when you have a star or two. 2 would go to roo which left the others to kick goals. I don’t think to many backs would be scared of paddy or Marshall tgen membery and Bruce. Like you say maybe doubtful now.

We didn't have Bruce last year.
Bruce and Membrey are a fairly formidable team already. Add someone like Marshall, who needs a decent tall defender to match him, and i think its stretching.

One of those guys will find the weakest link of the opposition.

We didn't have Bruce last year.
Bruce and Membrey are a fairly formidable team already. Add someone like Marshall, who needs a decent tall defender to match him, and i think its stretching.

One of those guys will find the weakest link of the opposition.
I think you it madness with ordinary marking players. Great idea with very good ones. The third tall will just play off Marshall and make it a 2 on 1 with the other forward. I’d rather try 2 talls and 4 others. People say we played with 3 in these practice matches but for 6 out of the 8 quarters we played with 2 and got 2 wins.

I think you it madness with ordinary marking players. Great idea with very good ones. The third tall will just play off Marshall and make it a 2 on 1 with the other forward. I’d rather try 2 talls and 4 others. People say we played with 3 in these practice matches but for 6 out of the 8 quarters we played with 2 and got 2 wins.
If you're going to look at it like that, 3 out of our 4 wins last year were when we played 3 with talls with the 4th being against Carlton.
There is a good argument for both types of forward set ups.

Marshall has proven himself to be a pretty decent contested ball winner. He's proven that he can move back and be effective.
If a player "ran off " Marshall, why would our mids not simply kick to him. He's a decent mark. He's a decent contested mark. He wins contested football.
What makes you think the third tall ( who aint going to be Alex Rance ) could simply run off him.

Want me to list how many of our "smalls" have never had 10 contested possessions?

When you compare him to other players at his position Dunstan is a pretty poor inside mid. He basically lives around the ball and stoppages yet can only manage the same contested possessions as Seb Ross which is around 9-10. That’s fine for Seb because he can do a lot of other things but a poor effort for someone who’s in the team to win the ball and can’t do anything else. Doesn’t come close to making up for it defensively or with his ball use.

I’d have him in the team for now but until he starts averaging 12-13 contested possessions a game it’s a pretty easy decision for me who misses out when Steven and Hannebery are ready.

B: McKenzie - Joyce - Webster
HB: Battle - Roberton - Savage
C: Geary - Dunstan - Newnes
HF: Gresham - Membrey - Billings
F: Long - Bruce - Parker
R: Marshall - Ross - Steele
I: Sinclair - Kent - Clark - Hind

McCartin, Steven, Hannebery and Acres all - ???

Last edited:
If you're going to look at it like that, 3 out of our 4 wins last year were when we played 3 with talls with the 4th being against Carlton.
There is a good argument for both types of forward set ups.

Marshall has proven himself to be a pretty decent contested ball winner. He's proven that he can move back and be effective.
If a player "ran off " Marshall, why would our mids not simply kick to him. He's a decent mark. He's a decent contested mark. He wins contested football.
What makes you think the third tall ( who aint going to be Alex Rance ) could simply run off him.

Want me to list how many of our "smalls" have never had 10 contested possessions?

The thought of playing only one tall forward is pretty much redundant with the 6/6/6/ rule changes especially if that one genuine tall forward is then supposed to help out in the ruck.

The rule has been introduced to achieve more one on one contests in the forward half and it is almost unanimously agreed that tall marking forwards will benefit the most from it.

And that then makes it all the more important that for the 5 to 10 minutes a quarter, when your main ruckman is off the ground, it will no longer be enough just have someone compete at the centre bounces.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you like. I didn’t say they will run off him. I said they will leave him to help another player who the ball is kicked to. It’s to late then to kick it to him after it’s already been kicked. We have added two bigger bodies to our forward line and I know they could play with 3 talls but I like the idea of those bigger bodies and a couple of small sand talls. There is also the pressure smaller guys give compared to talls. That’s half the reason Richmond had a good working forward line.

Playing three talls may stretch some sides, bit it also makes us slower up front with less forward pressure.

Just got to look at the pros and cons I suppose. If you have three quality talls that would outweigh the lack of pressure but I'm not sure no such quality we have.
You could run that argument if we had three/four quality pressure forwards - unfortunately we don't.

Based on available talent I'd think its something like

Membrey Bruce Gresh

Long McCartin/Marshall Parker

with Lonie on the bench

Last edited:
You could run that argument if we had three/four quality pressure forwards - unfortunately we don't.

Based on available talent I'd think its something like

Membrey Bruce Gresh

Long McCartin/Marshall Parker

with Lonie on the bench
Early days, but Parker looks very promising so far in terms of pressure, we all know how good Long can be. Lonie rates very highly in terms of pressure acts in the afl and then we've also got Kent who you forgot about that will no doubt be best 22.

Yep too true - especially if you disregard the fact that both Membrey and Kent actually average less contested possessions, less tackles and less 1%'s per game than Marshall.
Kind of expect Marshall to get more of the ball playing as a follower , I really think Marshall is a option if McCartin is forced out - doctors would be unwilling to let him play round one for sure - but it will come down on what setup they want - It would be better to have him in the side to help out in the ruck with Pierce.

Based on fitness and form in the Practice Matches my RD 1 team is:

FF: Parker McCartin Membury
HF: Long Bruce Gresham
C: Billings Steele Clark
HB: Roberton Battle Savage
FB: Webster Joyce Geary

R: Marshall, Steven, Ross

Int: Newnes Sinclair Dunstan Kent

Unlucky: Hind Lonie Pierce

I am assuming Acres and Hannebury aren't right for round 1 and Steven Paddy and Robbo are fine.

If McCartin is out I think Pierce plays and Marshall pushes forward. Not ideal but don't think we can afford to lose another tall.
If Robbo is out Wilkie or Austin probably come in (Hind probably makes us too short in defence)

If Paddy doesn't get up- as I expect to be the case- I imagine we'll bring Pierce back in, and move Roma back to the forwardline.

We liked the 3 tall target setup previously, and the proof was in the pudding with how much better our results were with it, and 6-6-6 lends itself even more to that setup, so I'd be surprised if we don't stick with it.

It's also likely to benefit the 200cm types like Marshall when kicking the ball inside 50 from centre clearances, as they're likely to have a height advantage that will give them a big chance of marking it in a 1-on-1.

Another advantage of going this way is that A: We don't have to play Bruce in the ruck any more (which also means he's a target for us forward more) and we have someone competent in the ruck at all times. Very important with 6-6-6. Against both teams with a genuine 2nd ruck option (to reduce the likelihood of them dominating us when the no.2's are going at it) and against the teams who don't (as we could then get the upper hand there).

It's the setup we'll have when Paddy and then hopefully King are playing, and the one we've been training, so I imagine we'll stick with it.

Roma's pressure and tackling numbers are also generally way, way better than Paddy's, so the move will also improve that aspect of our front half.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back