Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure pointing out marking, or lack thereof, makes it a compelling case for Kruz to come in, specially after 6-8 months of no game time.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

FWIW - Kreuz and Phillips marking stats last year were almost identical.

Approx 2 marks per game (0.4 contested).

Anyone who thinks Kreuz’s marking is a big upgrade on Phillips is dreaming.

FWIW - Kreuz and Phillips marking stats last year were almost identical.

Approx 2 marks per game (0.4 contested).

Anyone who thinks Kreuz’s marking is a big upgrade on Phillips is dreaming.
Exactly.

By the way, who in Collingwood's midfield are considered fast? None have breakaway pace. They work together cohesively, have great positioning and effective disposal.

Hang on a minute mate ….. you are talking about a guy that has a CAREER high 14 disposals back in 2012 and has maybe more issues than Krooz of getting and staying on the park????

They are ruck men.

FWIW Philips averaged 4 more hit outs per game than Kreuz last year.

I don’t have the stats but it appeared to me that Phillips taps are much better directed than Kreuz.

Rewatched the game...

I thought our pressure was good all game, but our starting points defensively was certainly poor in the 1st quarter.

Pies are an experienced side, Roughead and Beams good inclusions, especially Roughy for the cost

They will play finals, but bottom half of the 8

Interesting. I saw a top 4 side easily especially adding Roughead Beams Elliott & Moore to last years GF side

;)

I think there is a lot of wasted possession in modern footy but the pies generally move the ball beautifully from defence to scoring opportunity . The ease that they took it out of our forwardline at times was ridiculous yesterday and is something we need to improve immensely .
Only trouble for them was their goalkicking they wasted their chances in front of goal in the first half lot of them relatively easy shots they possibly should have been 6-8 goals up at half time .

Collingwood had 440 possessions to get inside 55 times and have 22 scoring shots. Carlton had 330 possessions to get inside 50 58 times and have 23 scoring shots. Clearly 2 different game styles being employed and I would suggest the blues defensive structure held up very well in that they were clearly able to get the pies to move the ball slow and we generated turnovers in transition.

Last edited:
Was listening to game on SEN so didnt really get a good indication of how the boys went but in general twas a good hitout i thought.
Pretty happy with the result not so much that we "almost" beat the opposition but that the boys were gunning right to the end. As for the possesion count, gee whiz how good was it that we had (half?) less possesions but were still in the game to the very end.
Fairly content with how its panning out, just hopping that we arent in for some nasty surprise and reality check when the real world starts soon.

As for SEN commentary, dead set, FMD, WTF, and just OMFG!!! Spud, fair dinkum is D frawley the dumbest d*** head ever to grace the AFL?
Moron kept interupting with banal of topic comments, made moronic non sequiters, insider guffaws and braing dead comments of "did ya see that!!!"
Hey dips**t, you are on a radio commentary, umm no we didnt see that, think you might wana explain just what occured??

At one stage even Huddo told him off on air for interupting and our very own Andy Magher reminded him about on air etiquette.
Dead set!!!

Frawley is unbearable.

How he gets paid to commentate is beyond me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone: What was the point of leaving Stocker on the bench for the entire game?
They have done it before with young players, they like to get them in the team environment for a game we have travelled for, let them experience the process of getting prepared for an AFL game etc.

Bolton does seem to prefer to only play 22 players.

It’s got nothing to do with stats and everything to do with our game being light years away from being ‘more effective’.

Ours is currently a low possession, high contested ball game, which doesn’t exactly lend itself to clean movement and the creation of 1 on 1s for our forwards. Collingwood (for example) control of the game and ball movement is far far superior and creates better opportunities. More time and space generally equals better scoring opportunities, it’s not controversial.

Chipping Collingwood for the way they play is just bias imo. They are a much better side, with a better style and the fact they just played in a GF is the ultimate evidence of that. We’ll get there and will have developed our own style but we ain’t there yet.

Probably the best explanation of our ball movement I've seen or heard.

Easy to look at contested ball stats and say we fought harder for the pill, or the overall disposal stats and say that Collingwood were less efficient. The truth is that, due to our inexperienced side and lower fitness base, we have to fight harder for the ball when we should be retaining possession more easily. We make it harder for ourselves a lot of the time.

Not worried, reckon we've got the cattle for it, just need to persist, and keep players fit and on the park. Continuity begets improvement.

Collingwood had 440 possessions to get inside 55 times and have 22 scoring shots. Carlton had 330 possessions to get inside 50 58 times and have 23 scoring shots. Clearly 2 different game styles being employed and I would suggest the blues defensive structure held up very well in that they were clearly able to get the pies to move the ball slow and we generated turnovers in transition.
Your right big discrepency in game plan i like the way we play generally but we still dont pressure the opposition enough especially in our forward 50 However id suggest we got away with one, in the season proper when the heat is on such a low possession count for us generally will not consistently get that many inside 50's .
Dont know what Collingwoods uncontested possession count was but id assume there was a big discrepency with ours if we keep repeating that in most games more often than not we will be torched .

Re Stocker, perhaps once it became clear that we were right in it until the death, coaches made the decision to leave the 22 out there to finish it off. As much as we all would have liked to have seen Stocker, I can understand the decision making, with that being the final genuine contest before R1.

Good experience for all involved, leaves Stocker itching to to do the work to get into the side.

Rewatched the game...

I thought our pressure was good all game, but our starting points defensively was certainly poor in the 1st quarter.

Pies are an experienced side, Roughead and Beams good inclusions, especially Roughy for the cost

They will play finals, but bottom half of the 8

While I tend to agree re the Pies being a 5-8 side, it’s bloody hard to predict this year. They made a GF and have added Elliot, Beans, Roughead and Moore to the side. Only a couple of teams I’m really confident of finishing ahead of them.

Decent result with a few issues I am confident will come good... Charlie Curnow just looks down on confidence, not sure what is behind it because from all reports had a really strong pre season, just wonder if he is carrying a niggle and hiding it.

Harry McKay, just needs to start clunking the marks.. once he does look out.

While I tend to agree re the Pies being a 5-8 side, it’s bloody hard to predict this year. They made a GF and have added Elliot, Beans, Roughead and Moore to the side. Only a couple of teams I’m really confident of finishing ahead of them.

I agree, their additions are very good, but they had a really soft draw last year

Perhaps one will cancel out the other

Last edited:
Your right big discrepency in game plan i like the way we play generally but we still dont pressure the opposition enough especially in our forward 50 However id suggest we got away with one, in the season proper when the heat is on such a low possession count for us generally will not consistently get that many inside 50's .
Dont know what Collingwoods uncontested possession count was but id assume there was a big discrepency with ours if we keep repeating that in most games more often than not we will be torched .

The question is what is our plan, do we leave more numbers back in the midfield to create the turnover and stop a fast transition rather than push numbers into the forward 50 to trap the ball in. DO we not mind having the forward 50 empty out as the opposition rebounds as we back ourselves to create the turnover and be able to go forward into space.

As for the possession V inside 50's, last season we averaged 347 possessions a game (in longer quarters I believe) so 330 is actually probably an improvement for 45.2 inside 50's. The Pies averaged just under 400 possessions and 54.7 inside 50's. SO to me we should be looking at the positives that we made them have 10% more possessions (from already the highest in the league) in a shorter time to get the same amount of inside 50's, especially in the new 6-6-6 set up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back