Rolling Ashes Squad Thread, now featuring Haddin XII v Hick XII beginning p. 147

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, on Nic Maddinson, the question marks people have over him just emphasize what a s**t selection it was from Mark Waugh to parachute him into the Test team when he was in a real slump during his career and hadn't scored a FC century in ages (from memory). Take out those wastes of Test innings and I don't think anyone would be as apprehensive as they are now.

Hard disagree from me. One fifty in five matches is droppable form for anyone, especially if there's in form batsmen out of the side.
That'd be why I've got him in the squad but not the playing XI. Including him purely as a second spin option.

Holy Moises Henriques firming for an all-rounder spot too:

Current Shield Season
Batting - 41.23 average (1 hundred, 2 fifties, 1 duck), 70.24 strike rate

Bowling - 18.75 average, 37.50 trike rate, 3.00 economy rate (0 5-fers)

Career Shield record

Batting - 36.93 average (8 hundreds, 14 fifties, 12 ducks)

Bowling - 32.72 average, 61.49 strike rate, 3.19 economy rate (1 5-fer)

Inb4 "Are you Mark Waugh?"
He also only has 4 wickets because he wasn't bowling before Christmas. And they came in a game where Qld crashed out twice.
He does have a knack of scoring 150 in Canberra, take that out and he's about 30 with the bat.

Thing is, he wasn't that bad in his first test in India - certainly by the standards of everyone else. Seemed to go backwards in the next few, but has to be a better option than Mitch Marsh - I just wouldn't pick an all-rounder when there isn't one. They're a luxury, not a necessity. Six genuine batsmen is a necessity.

Doubt Wade gets anywhere near the touring squad tbh.

There are younger bats doing as well or better than him that dont have a proven history of mediocrity at the level. He also gets the s**t bloke penalty from all accounts.

There are bugger all bats doing better...that’s the bloody point. Pick the bastards who are making the runs at the time

Umm

Renshaw a duck.....looks like we can draw a line through him....in terrible form this shield season

Burns 11.....umm hasn't made a shield hundred yet....could be a cause of concern

Yep, think Renshaw is done for the moment, sadly. I'm not sold on Burns, but he has runs on the board domestically and internationally, so he'll certainly go. But I wouldn't be averse to him being replaced in the starting XI if based on early tour form.

More importantly, at what point do the selectors see what everyone else does and realise Marnus is rubbish no matter how good his 0, 5, 10 or 30 looks?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another duck for Renshaw today, so we can pretty much scrub him off the list as far as the Ashes is concerned.
One innings, especially when 17 wickets fell for * all, changes nothing really. But I already had him as requiring a huge county start to even be an outside consideration. In his favour, its a very late Ashes start so he has a good portion of the county year to play before a squad has to be named.

Lol, Maddinson is not ahead of Bancroft for Test selection. Having a good few games but he's lost the plot before and every chance it'll happen again so he needs to prove it over at least a full season.

Bancroft was poor in the Ashes but he was our best batsman in South Africa (far better bowling), has county experience and has made a great start in the Shield games playing in a style which is necessary for at least one of the openers in England where you need to grind out the first session before looking to score.

I can't take Harris seriously in the Ashes when he was nicking off to Sri Lanka's trundlers even in Canberra. Not what you want partnering Warner at the top over there.

Originally I would've picked either Bancroft or Renshaw and given Renshaw's dire form the choice is pretty obvious. I'd take Harris as the back up over Burns and that's about it.

So you dismiss the rest of his summer, where he was our best bat over the Indian series, and only behind head for the summers a whole, then goes back to shield cricket peels off another ton, 2 90s, and a 70?

So you dismiss the rest of his summer, where he was our best bat over the Indian series, and only behind head for the summers a whole, then goes back to shield cricket peels off another ton, 2 90s, and a 70?

Not dismissing it, I just feel when a batsman fails in Tests he should move further down the que regardless of recent Shield form. He was in form before the Tests and he's clearly still in form after the Tests which suggests he's probably just not up to Test level given he constantly throws away starts and doesn't really suit partnering Warner at the top. Happy for him to be a reserve instead of Burns but I'd still back Bancroft over him in England as first choice.

Even if he does, how much faith can you have in picking a bloke that hasn't made a run or shield season ?

That would depend how many County runs we are talking about. There is a big IF here, but I'm more confident with Renshaw in form than Harris against the English attack. That said Renshaw is out of form and that's not an option now. It's a long time till the Ashes though.

I would rather finding out how they go in England considering that is where the Ashes is held than how they go in Australia tbh.

Yeah I agree to a certain extent, but you also have to factor in the quality of opposition in county, as it'll be different to facing Jimmy Anderson with the Duke.

I Pucovski doing brilliantly yet again. Only 7 off 56 deliveries so far but that is exactly what is needed. Wait till there are loose deliveries and punish them. It is swinging alot as well so it is a good for his development against swing. We seriously need to include him in the Ashes (I know it isn't the best place to debut a player but he is that good). What we should do is put him on the CA contract list so that he can go over to England and play in the county season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back