Game Day JLT2 - Carlton vs Collingwood - Monday 11th March 2.10PM @ Morwell - Final Team Post #777

Remove this Banner Ad

I think criticism of Phillips is over the top BUT Kruezer is still our best Ruckman and will be once fit
100% fit Kruezer > 100% fit Phillips

There is no question about this.

Though that is not likely to ever likely be the equation. It usually will be something like:

Is a 70% Kruezer better or worse for the team than an 85% Phillips or Lobbe?

Anything less than a 70% Kreuzer isn't worth considering regardless of who else is available.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Rewatched the game.

Don't like Charlie being stationary inside 50. Clubs will target him. He needs to be on the move and use his engine. McGovern is similar. It would be tempting to use Casboult & McKay as big targets if we are going to go long all the time and have Charlie as a mobile option.

As good as Charlie will be I don't see him as a true KPP that can stand as a target. IMO our structure needs work and looking at

Rewatched the game.

Don't like Charlie being stationary inside 50. Clubs will target him. He needs to be on the move and use his engine. McGovern is similar. It would be tempting to use Casboult & McKay as big targets if we are going to go long all the time and have Charlie as a mobile option.

As good as Charlie will be I don't see him as a true KPP that can stand as a target. IMO our structure needs work and looking at

When his big weapon is his aerobic capacity it makes sense to use it.

Could it be they were trying to manage his workload? Get him some touch but not put to many miles in the legs, especially after the calf knock?

When his big weapon is his aerobic capacity it makes sense to use it.

Could it be they were trying to manage his workload? Get him some touch but not put to many miles in the legs, especially after the calf knock?

Don't know. JMO he needs to be mobile. Having him as a "high ball" target doesn't work. Next week at the MCG he needs to keep moving. Having Casboult & McKay would be the two big guys I would have at targets at the moment. Casboult can then play relief ruck and leave McKay forward

Rewatched the game.

Reckon he's the player you want taking the mark 60-70m out on a quick transition. While not immune to mistakes, his delivery to another leading forward is typically outstanding.

(Newman/Simpson/Plowman/Docherty) runs out of the goalsquare and kicks long down the line.
(Phillips/Kreuzer/Cripps/Setterfield/Kennedy/JSOS) marks or brings the ball to ground on the defensive wing.
Handball comes out to (Walsh/Garlett/SPS/Fisher/Cuningham/Murphy/Williamson) who kicks long to Charlie leading hard out of the forward line.
Charlie marks, wheels, and has his choice of one-on-ones with McKay, McGovern and/or Fasolo to kick to.

That's how it looks in my dreams, anyway...

The question is what is our plan, do we leave more numbers back in the midfield to create the turnover and stop a fast transition rather than push numbers into the forward 50 to trap the ball in. DO we not mind having the forward 50 empty out as the opposition rebounds as we back ourselves to create the turnover and be able to go forward into space.

As for the possession V inside 50's, last season we averaged 347 possessions a game (in longer quarters I believe) so 330 is actually probably an improvement for 45.2 inside 50's. The Pies averaged just under 400 possessions and 54.7 inside 50's. SO to me we should be looking at the positives that we made them have 10% more possessions (from already the highest in the league) in a shorter time to get the same amount of inside 50's, especially in the new 6-6-6 set up.
Good points , preseason games are only a small indicator of what may happen in season .
But i still dont like our low possession count and its mainly to do with having such a young group and midfield who arent as yet but getting close able to control possession for larger periods in general play . And i think we play a more contested style because of that however the 6-6-6 should suit that so thats hopefully a plus for us .

100% fit Kruezer > 100% fit Phillips

There is no question about this.

Though that is not likely to ever likely be the equation. It usually will be something like:

Is a 70% Kruezer better or worse for the team than an 85% Phillips or Lobbe?

Anything less than a 70% Kreuzer isn't worth considering regardless of who else is available.

On SM-N960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

or if we play a 70% Kruezer do we shorten his career? Personally I'd prefer a 100% Kruezer 15 times a year for the next 3-4 years. Phillips can still be a very handy back up/relief ruck

Why we would deprive Stocker, a young man with fitness knocks, the chance to play a full game on the weekend (in the VFL) is bewildering.

What experience did he garner from his trip to the black lung capital of Australia?

Don't think one game missed is all that big a deal, especially considering how much running he's been doing in the preseason. If anything, he may be better for the rest.

Not sure the benefit of travelling with the team carries much weight. It's a 2 hour trip to Morwell, so I'm assuming there was a team bus, or players carpooled there and back on the same day. See more value in taking the young guys as a travelling emergency interstate so they can see how the senior players prep for and recover from the game when they're away from home and staying in a hotel.

So yeah - my guess is that the fitness team were happy for him to have a spell, and the coaches thought he'd be better off on the pine, close to the action, rather than wandering around a suburban ground or watching from home on the TV. VFL season is still a few weeks away, yeah, so he's gonna have a few more practice runs in the coming weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know. JMO he needs to be mobile. Having him as a "high ball" target doesn't work. Next week at the MCG he needs to keep moving. Having Casboult & McKay would be the two big guys I would have at targets at the moment. Casboult can then play relief ruck and leave McKay forward
Completely agree - although I can't see Casboult getting in as long as McGovern, McKay and Charlie are playing.

It is an encouraging sign that a 14 possession, 7 mark 1.2 performance from Charlie is seen as sub par.

It's an odd one on face value, but let's consider personal management.
Barker indicated that we were always only going to play 22 on the day.

Eric Hipwood?

Maybe but Harry has at least 5kg on him

By the way, who in Collingwood's midfield are considered fast? None have breakaway pace. They work together cohesively, have great positioning and effective disposal.
Adams who was out I guess and DeGoey and Stephenson in bursts. Phillips and Treloar are elite runners who are quick but maybe not elite in explosiveness.
For someone who never rated them last year I actually thought they were pretty impressive. All of Sier, Stephenson, WHE, Adams and De Goey would fix pretty much all of what they were lacking on the Monday.
My early tip would be a Richmond Collingwood grand final.

or if we play a 70% Kruezer do we shorten his career? Personally I'd prefer a 100% Kruezer 15 times a year for the next 3-4 years. Phillips can still be a very handy back up/relief ruck
Purely aspirational: rather than reasonably practical.
Cannot remember the last time MK was 100% fit.

Why we would deprive Stocker, a young man with fitness knocks, the chance to play a full game on the weekend (in the VFL) is bewildering.
That's what frustrates me. We've denied the kid some match fitness and touch, and the VFL has too many byes in it as it is.

2017. Unlucky not to be AA. How quickly people forget
I’m a big MK fan. I think he has been a consistent contributor across his career. Good skills for a big man. His X factor sets him apart from most ruckman and players in general. He sees ball, runs straight at it and is prepared to hurt anyone who gets in the way.

2017. Unlucky not to be AA. How quickly people forget
The scenario your describing lends itself more to being one in which Phillips, or Lobbe, assume the role of main ruckman; whereby it is MK that might still be a very handy backup or relief ruck. Not the other way around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back