6-6-6 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if west coast can get natanui back fit and firing teams defences are going to s**t.

Getting the ball in quick and deep after a centre bounce is going to be hell for defenders especially teams who are accustomed to having a spare man

Also our defence loves the ball bombed in . All west coast defenders bar jetta are awsome over head marks even our smalls sheppard duggan and cole

I think the new rule suits us very nicely.

Its clear that the afl wants to get away from the bulldogs/richmond/sydney ugly rolling maul gameplan

My opinion

Smaller inside mids that use the ball well (Heppell, Cotchin) become more valuable
Bigger congestion players that can't run suffer (Powell-Pepper)
Good one on one players will benefit (Yeo, Sloane)

Powerful pack marking forwards will benefit (Hawkins)
Lead up forwards will suffer (Gunston)
Players that make the most out of their chances will be more valuable (Gunston, Bruest)
Pressure crumbing forwards will benefit (Tippa)

Gorilla defenders will be less important (Jack Frost)
Talls that can play at ground level more important (Blicavs)
Small defenders that make quick decisions will benefit (converted midfielders)

Never thought I’d see Jack frost and the term gorilla used in the same sentence

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

What do you think will happen if Jacobs can't consistently tap it down to Sloane. Do you reckon the Crows might be in for a rude awakening. :think:

What happens if all clubs ruckman can't consistently tap it down to his own mids, just wondering if they will all be in for a rude awakening ?
I awoke rudely this morning, and quickly covered up before our house help came waltzing into the room.

I therefore suggest rude awakenings are the norm and it is all about the cover up.

I don't think it will last long. I just dont think hardwick has a grasp on the best tactics for the rule changes, but I'm sure everyone will start copying the team that handles it best early, and start making their own tweaks to it. Maybe 4 or 5 weeks if we're lucky I reckon.
Keep grasping onto that hope.

I think if west coast can get natanui back fit and firing teams defences are going to s**t.

Getting the ball in quick and deep after a centre bounce is going to be hell for defenders especially teams who are accustomed to having a spare man

Also our defence loves the ball bombed in . All west coast defenders bar jetta are awsome over head marks even our smalls sheppard duggan and cole

I think the new rule suits us very nicely.

Its clear that the afl wants to get away from the bulldogs/richmond/sydney ugly rolling maul gameplan
So another words....every teams defenders except the eagles who are awesome.

Also can you tell me how the 2nd highest scoring team of 2018 has an ugly rolling maul gameplan, maybe it's all the other teams the AFL want's to rid of negative gameplans.

So another words....every teams defenders except the eagles who are awesome.

Also can you tell me how the 2nd highest scoring team of 2018 has an ugly rolling maul gameplan, maybe it's all the other teams the AFL want's to rid of negative gameplans.
Nah mate you have sand in your vag over this . Richmond have great marking power in the backline also but may have to get accustomed to not starting with the spare who is vlustuin ? Usually i think .

As for ugly game plan just because you score highly doesn't mean its a fugly way to do it .
Congestion around the ball , hack forward then swarm numbers around it . Rince and repeat. It was ugly when the bulldogs did it and ulgy when you copied them . Then other teams like collingwood did it to .
It's an effective way to win it just looks awful .

After the beautiful kicking game that hawthorne had during their latest success the spectacle has gone down to a very much unskilled scragging rolling maul in the bulldogs/richmond flags

Nah mate you have sand in your vag over this . Richmond have great marking power in the backline also but may have to get accustomed to not starting with the spare who is vlustuin ? Usually i think .

As for ugly game plan just because you score highly doesn't mean its a fugly way to do it .
Congestion around the ball , hack forward then swarm numbers around it . Rince and repeat. It was ugly when the bulldogs did it and ulgy when you copied them . Then other teams like collingwood did it to .

After the beautiful kicking game that hawthorne had during their latest success the spectacle has gone down to a very much unskilled scragging rolling maul in the bulldogs/richmond flags
Everyone started with a loose behind the ball, don't know why people have been sucked in to thinking we were the only team to do it.

As long as it delivers a W, i couldn't give a rats arse how we look to opposition fans and media. AFL will not rid the game of rolling mauls and congestion, contested hard footy is much better than pretty look at me circle work training drill footy.

And may the scragging rolling maul continue, not here to look pretty, we're here to win football games and flags.

I think 6-6-6 magnifies our (Essendon's) lack of big contested mids. We'll get slaughtered in the middle every now and then and the inability to set up behind the ball will impact our ability to turn it over. Perhaps we'll set up with a really defensive centre square quartet so as to kill the initial ball up and then set up accordingly?

That's a complete misconception though. Hawthorn did have great ball users but it was their pressure that won them games, you're just looking back through nostalgia glasses.
Players like Puopolo, Rioli, Breust and co. provided insane pressure on opposition teams. Two of Clarkson's proteges (Beveridge and Dimma) implemented high-pressure gamestyles that they learnt OFF CLARKSON! You really think that they'd spend years working with him and then completely disregard his gamestyle and do something completely on their own??

As long as we don't go back to the Ross Lyon style of the naughties, that was truly terrible, all the top teams move the ball fast and score heavily as it is.

I'm not sure 666 will make a lot of difference, it may even hamper the weaker teams more, seeing more blowouts, which isn't a good thing.
I found that funny you brought up Ross Lyon tactics on here. You will see less of that rolling mauls due to Pacey good accurate kicking inside mids would enjoy this rule.

More than happy to acknowledge Richmonds 2017 GF side. Yes Richmond scored 16.12.108 in that 2017 GF. Just Remember, Richmond averaged 90.5 points a game and conceding 76.5 points a game.

Far from the highest attacking side in VFL/AFL history

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also technical point

I saw a team get a warning on 6 6 6 and then a player came on from the bench and it was OK.

Does this mean a team gets penalised for 17 on the field? That’s never happened before. What would happen if a team had 5 injuries. It did happen to GWS last year.

What would a team do? Have the least injured guy hobble on the field then off each time theres a center bounce? I’m sure they’d prefer to have the man missing from the fwd line not a wing

Do you have stats for Dustin being number 1 clearance player in the league. Coz I was sure it was Cripps. But maybe you have a stat that looks at the last 2 years too. Which I doubt would be Dustin as he doesn’t go to as many centre clearances as Cripps.

Edit: I have the stats.
Dustin - 76 from 23 games
Cripps - 73 from 22 games
I’d say Cripps is better based on that. As total stats mean **** all.
Mitchell Cripps and Neale in that order

Collingwood the best three with Adams Pendlebury Grundy in the top dozen

eagles will be masive winners in this
happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif

eagles will be masive winners in this
happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif

happy.gif
I dont think so, great side they are. They're not particularly strong at the centre clearances. For them quick opposition entries possibly hurt their defence less than other teams though.

A fit and healthy Nic Nat who is allowed to take the ball directly could change the clearance performance a lot though

That's a complete misconception though. Hawthorn did have great ball users but it was their pressure that won them games, you're just looking back through nostalgia glasses.
Players like Puopolo, Rioli, Breust and co. provided insane pressure on opposition teams. Two of Clarkson's proteges (Beveridge and Dimma) implemented high-pressure gamestyles that they learnt OFF CLARKSON! You really think that they'd spend years working with him and then completely disregard his gamestyle and do something completely on their own??

Someone actually recognising that pressure was integral to Hawthorn's success over the threepeat? Jesus I never thought I'd see the day, especially not on BigFooty. Everyone wants to talk about Richmond copying off the dogs or inventing it themselves!

Whenever you look across those years, the two best pressure forwards were Puopolo and Rioli. Rioli used to make people s**t their dacks trying to kick out after a behind, and the amount of panic kicks from zero pressure just from the reputation was immense.

Forward pressure with smart defensive set ups just outside of attacking 50 were more important to our game than the kicking. The kicking was just another string to the bow. It's how we managed to succeed despite being relatively weak through the guts. When we did control of the ball, we transitioned it better from D50 and it was notoriously difficult to rebound against that press in F50.

Mitchell Cripps and Neale in that order

Collingwood the best three with Adams Pendlebury Grundy in the top dozen
Not statistically. Is that your opinion?
The 2018 data states:
Mitchell
Cripps
Lyons - still scratching my head as to why GC threw him away for free.
Viney

You don’t see Adams until 11th, Pendlebury 28th and Grundy? 23rd. Surprisingly higher than I thought.

But right now cripps is the best clearance player in the AFL. Let’s see what Mitchell can do on average when he returns. It’ll take some time before he gets close to where he was.

Someone actually recognising that pressure was integral to Hawthorn's success over the threepeat? Jesus I never thought I'd see the day, especially not on BigFooty. Everyone wants to talk about Richmond copying off the dogs or inventing it themselves!

Whenever you look across those years, the two best pressure forwards were Puopolo and Rioli. Rioli used to make people s**t their dacks trying to kick out after a behind, and the amount of panic kicks from zero pressure just from the reputation was immense.

Forward pressure with smart defensive set ups just outside of attacking 50 were more important to our game than the kicking. The kicking was just another string to the bow. It's how we managed to succeed despite being relatively weak through the guts. When we did control of the ball, we transitioned it better from D50 and it was notoriously difficult to rebound against that press in F50.
It's pretty obvious when you watch footy critically and look at other teams apart from your own. Similar with Port Adelaide in 2014ish when they were pushing for a premiership, the media and others were convinced it was because of their superior fitness, when it was actually their pressure and contested work. Some parts of Konrad Marshall's book after Tigers 2017 was a real eye-opener to all of this and make it very clear to anyone with half a brain. The best teams will always be those who can out-pressure their opponents, goes for just about every sport. That's why the constant rule changes are annoying and dinosaurs like Blight are out of touch. Pressure will always be the #1 most important thing in footy. GF last year showed us this. The moment WC pressure lifted and they were able to cramp up the game, they started getting on top and wore the Pies down.

Centre clearances and than total clearances are two different stats

Dustin Martin led the comp in centre clearances but in terms of total clearances he is ranked 15th

But this thread is about 6-6-6 rulings so centre clearances would be the numbers we are interested in

Attachments

• 054153AE-57F5-47C0-9C13-A19E3C1C3D99.png
    054153AE-57F5-47C0-9C13-A19E3C1C3D99.png
    451.2 KB · Views: 233
  • 31A791C8-E631-410C-A4B3-963FF16BBB29.png
    31A791C8-E631-410C-A4B3-963FF16BBB29.png
    431.9 KB · Views: 245
Centre clearances and than total clearances are two different stats

Dustin Martin led the comp in centre clearances but in terms of total clearances he is ranked 15th

But this thread is about 6-6-6 rulings so centre clearances would be the numbers we are interested in

On face value, Dustin Martin will 100% be the player most positively impacted by 6-6-6 in the middle of the ground.

He has a unique combination of clearance ability and kicking penetration. Anything that allows him to be less pressured and take more time delivering the ball from clearance into attacking 50 is money.

In response to that, I believe that the heavy tag will become a much more widely used part of the game in 2019.

On face value, Dustin Martin will 100% be the player most positively impacted by 6-6-6 in the middle of the ground.

He has a unique combination of clearance ability and kicking penetration. Anything that allows him to be less pressured and take more time delivering the ball from clearance into attacking 50 is money.

In response to that, I believe that the heavy tag will become a much more widely used part of the game in 2019.

Yeah that will be really interesting if we start to see most teams running heavy tags like we did say 5 years ago
We have had the odd run with player recently but not like crowley

Not statistically. Is that your opinion?
The 2018 data states:
Mitchell
Cripps
Lyons - still scratching my head as to why GC threw him away for free.
Viney

You don’t see Adams until 11th, Pendlebury 28th and Grundy? 23rd. Surprisingly higher than I thought.

But right now cripps is the best clearance player in the AFL. Let’s see what Mitchell can do on average when he returns. It’ll take some time before he gets close to where he was.

Maybe different sites. I was here https://afltables.com/afl/stats/2018s.html#sh10. According to these, Brisbane had a great off season potentially. I'm starting to think of them as big improvers

And sorry, Lyons on a par with Neale. Agree on Mitchell on his return. He may become the new Burgoyne, saved for emergencies. Bit of a shame really.

And sorry again, I was looking at just clearances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back