kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
1. Most - but not all - professional sports have a way the coach can communicate with players.

Time outs
Small enough field size they can shout
Constant stop plays
Etc

They also don’t typically have a runner on the field at all times

They also aren’t typically played on an oval

2. The runner on the field at all times was weird and I hope it doesn’t come back

The coaches and players can adjust.

Training identical pattern recognition in 22 players will separate great coaches from good. “When the score is xx and time is yy then do zz” and everyone needs to understand at the same time

3. If it annoys Bevo then I am in favour. Only problem is that hearing less of him might make his players perform better.

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
Isnt the runner on the field after a goal effectively the same as a time out in those American/non American (lol) sports.

It is a reset period and enough time for messages to be relayed.

I personally think we have come to a point in AFL whre the players know the game so well runners are not needed at all. Any messaging can be conveyed during rotations anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
What is the rules with using radios in AFL?

The players have a GPS behind their head, surely you get a GPS with abut in radio and speaker that can be used to communicate with the players, so each player can be communicated with directly. The idea of a runnier is pretty archaic.
We did something like that at training, during the Neil Craig era. He trialed getting players to wear soft helmets, with speakers built in. He then piped crowd noise into the speakers, in an attempt to simulate the crowd noise from a big game. The hope was that it would get players adjusted to playing in those conditions.

Neil Craig came up with a lot of weird ideas over the years...

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
NBA has different rule set to FIBA.
That's kind of my point, despite there being different rules in different jurisdictions, they all utilise the timeout mechanism. Hence, the origin of the sport is immaterial to the debate.

I think I just caught a few people mid wank, and they got a bit confused with what they were doing :)

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
289238.jpg

Isnt the runner on the field after a goal effectively the same as a time out in those American/non American (lol) sports.

Exactly.

If players are so inept at following instructions during play... maybe they shouldn't be out there?

Getting rid of runners during play does not prevent coaches from getting messages out either when play is stopped (after goals) or when the player goes to the bench.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
So how does football park cost 10x Alberton for upkeep? Could it be that the $2m was plucked out of someone’s arse? Or it was the running cost when football was actually played at the oval and maintenance and cleaning needed to be performed every week for 6 months (albeit with every second week being cheap as only 5 people attended the ground).

I think it came from Steven Trigg.

No doubt it was an imaginary figure that was used to justify our continued existence at Footy Park.

You only have to look at what other SANFL teams are playing for their respective ovals to see that if we were located at any council owned ground that we'd only be paying 50k-100k at the most.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
R1 1993 wasn’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, I was actually at that game too. It was also the game where Modra wasn't named to play (and wasn't even named in the footy record), but kicked 10 goals.

That was back in the good old days where you used to go to Crows games in Melbourne and aside from the cheer squad there was little to no Crows supporters around the ground.

Apr 22, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
T.Swift Huddersfield Town AUFC
Sometimes you don't realise how much of a good position you are in to start the seaaon until you look at other teams injury lists.... like StKilda's looks worse than ours did at the start of last year, Gold Coast aint far behind them either.

That Paddy McCartin kid is cooked - 7 concussions in 5 years, diabetic, and then he goes down like a sack of spuds from an innocuous 'hit' that would happen 100 times a game in footy

Will be by far the worst #1 pick of his era - Has Watts covered comfortably

Not sure, McCartin is bad because of medical reasons, Watts is bad because of football reasons

the universal

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
That Paddy McCartin kid is cooked - 7 concussions in 5 years, diabetic, and then he goes down like a sack of spuds from an innocuous 'hit' that would happen 100 times a game in footy

Will be by far the worst #1 pick of his era - Has Watts covered comfortably

That's a very harsh assessment. Not exactly the kid's fault, and it's not as if he's insufficiently talented either.

Aug 17, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt FC; Pittsburgh Steelers
Either way, both represent a badly wasted #1 draft pick.
I love how the focus, in these circumstances, is always on the player. The heat should be on the numbnuts who took these blokes as high as they did, and the so called experts who installed them as high first rounders from the outset. Yet the only names I know of in these two particular circumstances are jack Watts and paddy mccartin.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
We did something like that at training, during the Neil Craig era. He trialed getting players to wear soft helmets, with speakers built in. He then piped crowd noise into the speakers, in an attempt to simulate the crowd noise from a big game. The hope was that it would get players adjusted to playing in those conditions.

Neil Craig came up with a lot of weird ideas over the years...
Judging purely by that fearful expression Petrenko would get every time he lined up for a set shot, I don't think Craigy's mental therapy worked very well.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Judging purely by that fearful expression Petrenko would get every time he lined up for a set shot, I don't think Craigy's mental therapy worked very well.
Fearful look on his face, or the brown stain spreading across the back of his shorts?:poo:

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
Looks like Port fans wont be seeing much of dixon this year and is Ryder just about cooked?
Dixon being out probably only helps Port as he's been a dud for them anyway. Aside from that purple patch at the end of 2017, he's been thoroughly mediocre.

I guess there's the argument that despite Dixon not being a renown goal kicker, his presence in their forward line alone makes him useful to their structure. Opposition teams will now be able to send better defenders to look after Ryder, Westhoff, Marshall etc.

Last edited:
Dixon is a good-ish player (if he could kick goals instead of points) but its Ryder that they are going to miss

Just his 10 minutes in the JLT game highlighted that

Get the feeling these are going to be long term injuries for them. No prognosis as yet of recovery time which is always a concern.

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can I like this post twice?
I would imagine one of the reasons for our extended leadership group. Spread the word across the leaders, across the field, essentially having 7 (?) runners on the field

For AFC where the playbook is ingrained in the senior players, it will be a massive advantage.

For the Dogs where Bevo regularly throws the magnets in the air, hoping for miracle, or, Troy Pannell, this will be a big disadvantage.

Couldn't happen to a nicer campaigner.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 7, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm pretty sure we all know Melbourne had a particular poor judge of drafting, even though they compounded it with a poor development program at the same time.
I love how the focus, in these circumstances, is always on the player. The heat should be on the numbnuts who took these blokes as high as they did, and the so called experts who installed them as high first rounders from the outset. Yet the only names I know of in these two particular circumstances are jack Watts and paddy mccartin.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's a very harsh assessment. Not exactly the kid's fault, and it's not as if he's insufficiently talented either.

It's not the kids fault, however, someone has to be the worst pick 1 for this decade, and really circumstance has made McCartin a very disappointing option.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Dixon being out probably only helps Port as he's been a dud for them anyway. Aside from that purple patch at the end of 2017, he's been thoroughly mediocre.

I guess there's the argument that despite Dixon not being a renown goal kicker, his presence in their forward line alone makes him useful to their structure. Opposition teams will now be able to send better defenders to look after Ryder, Westhoff, Marshall etc.

I was thinking about that the other day. I used to be jealous of Ports trading but of all their trade ins over the last 5 years, the only wins you would give them would be Polec and Jonas. The rest have either been injured, drug cheats or overrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back