Who has the best forward line heading into 2019?

Who will have the best forward line in 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 21, 2017
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal, Scorchers, Scuderia Ferrari
Cox is the most overrated player in the league.

Great mark of the football, unless Barrass is anywhere near him of course.

Can’t kick the ball more than 40m, at 7ft the bloke should be roosting them from beyond the arc.

Has absolutely no footy smarts at all, as evidenced by that final kick in from the GF where he was standing on the half forward flank when the ball was only ever going long and up the guts. Allowed Shuey to take an uncontested mark and ultimately kill the game.

He destroyed Richmond because they let him. They gave him a free run at the footy all night, showed him no respect and he made them pay.

We showed that by not letting him run at the footy he becomes pretty useless. He beat Barrass in 1 marking contest across 2 entire finals games.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
I’m an Eagles fan through and through but there’s no way Ryan is better than Elliot. He’s played half a season.

Allen has played 2 league games as well.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Ryan has a top 50 player in the league ceiling. Elliot will be lucky to be on a list in 2020

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Ryan has a top 50 player in the league ceiling. Elliot will be lucky to be on a list in 2020
Reckon you’re overrating Ryan significantly. He has the potential to be a top 5, maybe even 3, small forward but that still wouldn’t put him in the top 50 in the league. And he might be in only his second season but he’s not 19; as a mature age recruit, he’s closer to his ceiling than a regular recruit. Rioli looks to have the significantly higher ceiling.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
He's right. WC has a solidly better forwardline than Collingwood.

It's how a team plays as a unit though which counts. For example a midfield with the likes of Kelly, Selwood, Dangerfield and Duncan performed poorly in 2018. WC may be shaky in the first couple of rounds structurally. No Kennedy, LeCras and Cripps is a lot of missing experience. It's raw talent which helps make up for it.

IMO though, Lynch, Reiwoldt, Rioli, Edwards, Caddy, Higgins is formidable. On paper and fit, that's the best lineup.

Don’t disagree that West Coast’s forward line is better than ours. JJK+Darling carries them over our heads for sure, but there is no way that Ryan and Rioli are better than Stephenson and Elliott. No way at all.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Don’t disagree that West Coast’s forward line is better than ours. JJK+Darling carries them over our heads for sure, but there is no way that Ryan and Rioli are better than Stephenson and Elliott. No way at all.
Apart from their 2018 performances?

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Apart from their 2018 performances?

Stephenson 38 goals not enough far and away better than the other two. Elliott averaged two goals a game the last season he played and is regularly a match winner. If Ryan doesn’t get his goal a game, he’s practically useless. Rioli is a good pressure forward, and decent goal kicker at best. Imagine I said Varcoe is better than Cripps because Varcoe tackles and gets a lot of one percenters.

Just out of curiosity, who are West Coast’s equivalents to Hoskin-Elliott and Varcoe?

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast

Letd be honest Stephenson is a mid who in his first season played forward and used his pace to get behind the defense and he did that very very well. He will become a very good if not elite wingman post Sidebottom retiring.

Rioli will be the better forward because thats his natural game.

Both will pinch hit one will rest forward at times and Rioli will push on ball for stints.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
Letd be honest Stephenson is a mid who in his first season played forward and used his pace to get behind the defense and he did that very very well. He will become a very good if not elite wingman post Sidebottom retiring.

Rioli will be the better forward because thats his natural game.

Both will pinch hit one will rest forward at times and Rioli will push on ball for stints.

I agree but anybody mid kicking 38 goals albeit in their debut season is a very impressive feat. It’s the best season a 19 year old has played in the last decade. He is clearly a very capable forward and one that would have a place in every forward line in the competition.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
I agree but anybody mid kicking 38 goals albeit in their debut season is a very impressive feat. It’s the best season a 19 year old has played in the last decade. He is clearly a very capable forward and one that would have a place in every forward line in the competition.

He was impressive yes.

Furure AA winger who will still kick 30 goals a season.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
I think Rioli is and will be the best of the 4, Stephenson being the only chance to outdo him. Ryan is incredibly talented, but motivation will always be a challenge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Just trying to understand because I usually rate West Coast fans as pretty level headed.

Are you guys seriously suggesting you don't think Stephenson is better than Rioli? You seriously don't think West Coast would make that trade in a heartbeat?

On Elliott, the bloke has been as injured as anyone yet still manages to be a reliable 2 goal a game player as a small marking forward. Discount him if you like but the bloke is an excellent footballer when fit, which he is now.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Richmond with Lynch is easily the best.

Starting would be

Butler Riewoldt Caddy
Rioli Lynch Edwards

Easily.

Yep the chemistry the Riewaldt and Lynch have developed is amazing. The leading patterns as the Tigers surgically move the ball foward is a sight to behold. Streets ahead of any other forward line.

Edwards forward craft is also increadible to watch, his positioning and crumbing puts him ahead of most other small forwards.

:think::think::think::think:

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Just trying to understand because I usually rate West Coast fans as pretty level headed.

Are you guys seriously suggesting you don't think Stephenson is better than Rioli? You seriously don't think West Coast would make that trade in a heartbeat?

On Elliott, the bloke has been as injured as anyone yet still manages to be a reliable 2 goal a game player as a small marking forward. Discount him if you like but the bloke is an excellent footballer when fit, which he is now.

Eagles wouldnt trade Rioli.

But lets assume in an alternate universe Rioli asked to go the the Pies and Stephenson asked to be traded to the Eagles.

Straight swap would be an ok break even outcome.:think::think:

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Easily.

Yep the chemistry the Riewaldt and Lynch have developed is amazing. The leading patterns as the Tigers surgically move the ball foward is a sight to behold. Streets ahead of any other forward line.

Edwards forward craft is also increadible to watch, his positioning and crumbing puts him ahead of most other small forwards.

:think::think::think::think:
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Is this an attempt at sarcasm? It's very confusing.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
I have no idea what you're trying to say here.

Is this an attempt at sarcasm? It's very confusing.

I think he is trying say the Richmond forward line isnt proven to function yet; due to Lynch, Jack and co. have not played a game together, hence we dont know if they are indeed the best.

Which is a bit strange

I didnt understand the Edwards part. I think he is saying titch is a bad forward option which is more silly

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
Just something else to consider in the Stephenson vs. Rioli debate, at the end of last year Stephenson was 19, Willie Rioli was 23. That's a huge difference.

Again, West Coast is making that trade in a heartbeat. But since we are having the debate, how about we compare him to someone a bit closer to him in age at 22 years old:

Last edited:

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Tore the dees apart on QB ripped richmond a new one in a prelim in front of 96k, had great second half in GF. The hope he fails is for the fools and fairys, Coxy is the real deal. He already commands a triple team in the contest, is it any secret that the smaller guys benefit from this, 40 plus goals from 3, and 30 plus goals from 2 others. It doesnt matter if the public dont want to respect, go ask 17 coaches what they think. He's a weapon up forward, Hes a weapon in the ruck, once this guy reaches 50/70 games will be absolutely unstoppable.

The day after tomorrow Cox turns 28; he has played 44 games.

Mihocek 26, 16 games - those two for mine are the weakest looking points of the Pies22, and maybe Roughead as a key back in what generally is a very strong looking list from Collingwood.

Obviously if Cox can play anything like the preliminary final they will very much be in the conversation

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Just something else to consider in the Stephenson vs. Rioli debate, at the end of last year Stephenson was 19, Willie Rioli was 23. That's a huge difference.

Again, West Coast is making that trade in a heartbeat. But since we are having the debate, how about we compare him to someone a bit closer to him in age at 22 years old:

Stephenson has no game other than his speed. Rioli has speed, sublime kicking skills, excellent decision maker, defensive pressure and x factor

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
The day after tomorrow Cox turns 28; he has played 44 games.

Mihocek 26, 16 games - those two for mine are the weakest looking points of the Pies22, and maybe Roughead as a key back in what generally is a very strong looking list from Collingwood.

Obviously if Cox can play anything like the preliminary final they will very much be in the conversation
Cox needs the defence to play him like the Tigers did more, I think.

Back