Game Day JLT series Game 2 vs Hawthorn - 7:10pm, UTAS

A few things. Grahams last half showed that he can gut run and get the ball, good sign as we are going to need it. Our midfield is very thin with Cotch and Martin miles above. Prestia is good but there are lots of Prestia types running around. We are really going to need some more strength and speed in the middle. Not sure who will help there as Higgins is good but not fast and Edwards fast but not big... hence the draft Collier Dawkins and Ross, but they aren't ready. Could be a real problem without Caddy and Grigg and nobody coming through the VFL.
I'm a bit of a critic of Butler, but his speed is really important. Mistakes early in the season are normal, but his upside is there if the coaches demand more from him. Same reason I like Markov, and to a lesser extent Menadue. Sure they made some mistakes, but we have Dusty regularly drilling it down the throat of the opposition, so they all make mistakes. But when they get the ball they can clear an area and get the ball moving. Markov has very good carry in his kicks, and can also hit up targets. We have seen what we will get from Ellis, so give Markov a good run at it. Might even be a live wire half forward if he and Weller swapped places at times.
As much as we need Balta in the ruck, he really doesn't know where to run as a forward. He hardly ran at all. He will be the best CHB we have ever had if we played him there.
Rance looks great this season, and moved all over the backline. Made a mistake or two but for a key back his work linking up and at ground level is amazing. Looks really set for a good season. Astbury looks a bit flat, Garthwaite sure picked a bad time to get injured.
Reckon we might struggle a bit early in the season until we get our personal all sorted out.

Gee, Kane Lambert has done ok last couple of years in the midfield. I wouldn't say our midfield is "very thin" but not as stacked as others. I guess where we more than make up is an elite backline and pretty close to an elite forward line with big Tom up there.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Gee, Kane Lambert has done ok last couple of years in the midfield. I wouldn't say our midfield is "very thin" but not as stacked as others. I guess where we more than make up is an elite backline and pretty close to an elite forward line with big Tom up there.
Lambert is more your running outside mid who can run through a pack and come out with the ball the other end. Deserving of the accolades but doesn't feature heavily in centre square set-ups. At one stage last year, Nankervis was third centre square clearances. We need more tough players who get down and dirty and their hands on the ball first because besides Cotchin and Martin, especially when a side gets a run on.

Reckon we will be a lot better with Lynch in the side, someone who a presence in the forward line (besides Riewoldt.)

A few things. Grahams last half showed that he can gut run and get the ball, good sign as we are going to need it. Our midfield is very thin with Cotch and Martin miles above. Prestia is good but there are lots of Prestia types running around. We are really going to need some more strength and speed in the middle. Not sure who will help there as Higgins is good but not fast and Edwards fast but not big... hence the draft Collier Dawkins and Ross, but they aren't ready. Could be a real problem without Caddy and Grigg and nobody coming through the VFL.
I'm a bit of a critic of Butler, but his speed is really important. Mistakes early in the season are normal, but his upside is there if the coaches demand more from him. Same reason I like Markov, and to a lesser extent Menadue. Sure they made some mistakes, but we have Dusty regularly drilling it down the throat of the opposition, so they all make mistakes. But when they get the ball they can clear an area and get the ball moving. Markov has very good carry in his kicks, and can also hit up targets. We have seen what we will get from Ellis, so give Markov a good run at it. Might even be a live wire half forward if he and Weller swapped places at times.
As much as we need Balta in the ruck, he really doesn't know where to run as a forward. He hardly ran at all. He will be the best CHB we have ever had if we played him there.
Rance looks great this season, and moved all over the backline. Made a mistake or two but for a key back his work linking up and at ground level is amazing. Looks really set for a good season. Astbury looks a bit flat, Garthwaite sure picked a bad time to get injured.
Reckon we might struggle a bit early in the season until we get our personal all sorted out.
Gut running has been something that has set Jack Graham apart from his contemporaries at the club since day dot. People focus on his pace or disposal numbers but he has always had a rare ability to run from contest to contest and find the second wind needed. His work rate is amazing really, I remember a game last year when he was laying these tackles and shepherds that would have been knocking the stuffing out of anyone, and here he is having played about a dozen games and he’d just go to the next then the next. It was bloody impressive.

Last edited:

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Gut running has been something that has set Jack Graham apart from his contemporaries at the club since day dot. People focus on his pace or disposal numbers but he has always had a rare ability to run from contest to contest and find the second wind needed. His work rate is amazing really, I remember a game last year when he was laying these tackles and shepherds that would have been knocking the stuffing out of anyone, and here he is having played about a dozen games and he’d just go to the next them the next. It was bloody impressive.
Completely agree. Love his attitude, he reminds me of a kelpie that only knows one way. My query was in regard to getting the ball. Saw signs of it in JLT1 and much better JLT2. Hope he can take it into the season because it is a big piece missing, especially without Grigg there who in some ways is similar in that he can run and run and get his hands on it when playing in the centre.

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Well if RCD and Ross aren't ready for Round 1 and the backline is full how about Markov to the wing until Grigg is back at least. Balta did some goal assist stuff that was good. His work as back up ruck was good enough for me to play him Round 1. He looks at home at the level. I'd play him until Lynch plays at least. Weller for Caddy, mature player. Butler for JC. The team has played good football in patches. Our skills in the first half vs Hawks were shocking. The second half revival with Menadue, Baker, Weller brought into the game, Graham playing quite well, and Soldo given ruck duties at the end was a test I thought the team passed. It is a challenging start to the year. 2 road trips and a game vs the pies. I look fwd to it

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
:rolleyes: Jeez, guys. Maybe try reading the thread next time before you do your stand-up comedy routines. We had been discussing the incident when Kaiden Brand got injured after Jack Riewoldt raised his boot and tripped him him mid-air.

Interesting that nothing further was said about it and no action was taken. Jack must've used Lids' or Trent's "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.

* outta here hawk scum

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
:rolleyes: Jeez, guys. Maybe try reading the thread next time before you do your stand-up comedy routines. We had been discussing the incident when Kaiden Brand got injured after Jack Riewoldt raised his boot and tripped him him mid-air.

Interesting that nothing further was said about it and no action was taken. Jack must've used Lids' or Trent's "Get Out Of Jail Free" card.
I thought it was weird at the time, but on the replay it looked as if Jack was trying to kick it out of mid air. He has a bag of tricks, so couldn't think what else he was doing. Not like he would deliberately kick someone, that is automatic weeks and given he pulled out of a couple of contests because it was only JLT, it seems the only logical thing.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
I thought it was weird at the time, but on the replay it looked as if Jack was trying to kick it out of mid air. He has a bag of tricks, so couldn't think what else he was doing. Not like he would deliberately kick someone, that is automatic weeks and given he pulled out of a couple of contests because it was only JLT, it seems the only logical thing.

Jack was trying to kill him, should've got 6 weeks off like Titchell did last year when he tried to kill someone

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Well if RCD and Ross aren't ready for Round 1 and the backline is full how about Markov to the wing until Grigg is back at least. Balta did some goal assist stuff that was good. His work as back up ruck was good enough for me to play him Round 1. He looks at home at the level. I'd play him until Lynch plays at least. Weller for Caddy, mature player. Butler for JC. The team has played good football in patches. Our skills in the first half vs Hawks were shocking. The second half revival with Menadue, Baker, Weller brought into the game, Graham playing quite well, and Soldo given ruck duties at the end was a test I thought the team passed. It is a challenging start to the year. 2 road trips and a game vs the pies. I look fwd to it
Be happy with Markov on a wing. Think he is pretty lively and needs to find his feet. Ross is a chance, but a bit of a gamble rd.1. Weller looks okay, made some blues early, but not on his own there. Balta has to play backup, but Lynch is 50/50. Balta needs to run, like a Richo, no good standing there wrestling. Although he still did some good things, he looks best to me when running at goals. Menadue will get better this year, so will get his chance, but not yet without some real form. Still think early on we may struggle until we find the right pieces.

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Be happy with Markov on a wing. Think he is pretty lively and needs to find his feet. Ross is a chance, but a bit of a gamble rd.1. Weller looks okay, made some blues early, but not on his own there. Balta has to play backup, but Lynch is 50/50. Balta needs to run, like a Richo, no good standing there wrestling. Although he still did some good things, he looks best to me when running at goals. Menadue will get better this year, so will get his chance, but not yet without some real form. Still think early on we may struggle until we find the right pieces.
Carlton game is the real chance for games into Balta, Markov & Ross. Its earlier than you'd like but the way we ended our 2018 season was with unfit first 22 players and selectors not having faith in our depth. Caddy and Castagna's absences can be covered by the experienced Butler and the inexperienced Balta. And what Balta lacks in forward nous, he makes up for in the ruck. Weller is a new face too, but looks like he's fit and firing. Lynch:I have no expectations on. My gut feel is later rather than sooner.

muzhogg

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond

Given you're the one who threw Rance into the discussion you don't really have grounds for bitching about others being off topic.

There's a reason nothing further was said and no action taken -- there was no basis for it. You'd see that if you took of your brown and gold colored glasses.

Also: lighten up. This is the Richmond board and if I want to have a little bit of fun -- even if it means making an obviously daft remark -- then get over it. Seriously, coming onto another team's board and criticizing the natives? Yeah, that'll work...

Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Really disappointed by both Markov and Menadues lack of urgency in the game- seize the moment and grab your opportunity!!!! Neither have done enough for R1
Menadue looked like a chook without a head a bit. But tough stepping into a game at 1/2 time. I wouldn't object to Markov playing Grigg's wing against Carlton.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Given you're the one who threw Rance into the discussion you don't really have grounds for bitching about others being off topic.

There's a reason nothing further was said and no action taken -- there was no basis for it. You'd see that if you took of your brown and gold colored glasses.

Also: lighten up. This is the Richmond board and if I want to have a little bit of fun -- even if it means making an obviously daft remark -- then get over it. Seriously, coming onto another team's board and criticizing the natives? Yeah, that'll work...
OK, fair enough

I'm not sure any of this is worth having a cow over

Go Tigers and good luck in 2019 :thumbsu:

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
We have looked fairly sluggish in both practice matches, blues have improved so we need to be ready come opening bounce. I can see round 1 being closer than a lot think
Agreed. If anyone is expecting a smashing with how the JLT went + how Round 1 games against Carlton goes, then they may need to change their expectations very quickly. A smashing would be a pleasant surprise and not something I’d expect IMO.

I think our blokes are on par with these guys for dirtiness.

Noticed how i could pick any era to show what a dirty, scumbag club you guys have always been?

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I think our blokes are on par with these guys for dirtiness.

Noticed how i could pick any era to show what a dirty, scumbag club you guys have always been?

Hahaha. This sort of trolling is wasted on me.

I loved every second of Hawthorn belting the living s**t out of their opponents and hoisting premiership cups

LOVED IT :D:thumbsu:

The great thing about so many of the Hawk champs is that they were dirty mongrels as well as being brilliant footballers. Perfect. Best of both worlds. Unlike opposition teams who had to pick forgettable no-talent hacks to do their dirty work and play the enforcer role. That just weakens the team, in my opinion.

Good luck this year. Hopefully, your boys can go one better than they did in 2018

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond

I loved every second of Hawthorn belting the living s**t out of their opponents and hoisting premiership cups

The great thing about so many of the Hawk champs is that they were dirty mongrels as well as being brilliant footballers. Perfect. Best of both worlds. Unlike opposition teams who had to pick forgettable no-talent hacks to do their dirty work and play the enforcer role. That just weakens the team, in my opinion.

Good luck this year. Hopefully, your boys can go one better than they did in 2018
The Big Dipper used to iron out somebody every 2nd week he used to cop it too though. I reckon his 89 GF effort was as gutsy as it gets, Dermie is always talked about but Dippers effort to play on with a collapsed lung was unbelievable

So what you say doesn’t make sense then. You are having a go at our blokes then say you love it when your blokes whack the opposition? You know you can’t be half pregnant right? Or can you guys dish it but not take it?

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Menadue looked like a chook without a head a bit. But tough stepping into a game at 1/2 time. I wouldn't object to Markov playing Grigg's wing against Carlton.

I’d love to see Markov or Menadue make it because they are line breakers- 80 metre players.
They just don’t get the pill enough though they need to work harder, more gut running, as outside mids.

DoItForCaptBlood

Premiership Player
Sep 8, 2008
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Richmond
I’d love to see Markov or Menadue make it because they are line breakers- 80 metre players.
They just don’t get the pill enough though they need to work harder, more gut running, as outside mids.
One of Menadue's was an 80m play on Sat. Unfortunately he blindly pumped it forward and there was no one within 50m, and the defenders mopped it up.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
And a good dose of feeling confident and belonging in the side...
Get a few games up, keep trying, star in the VFL and then it all clicks...if not then too bad...
giphy.gif

Back