Roast The Chronicles of Alan Richardson - Part II - Richo Resigns (16/07)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So we finish with 13 wins and come 9th with many injuries and we sack him. That would look real good to our sponsors and even a general supporter and imagine the crap we would cop in the media which sponsors don't like. General statements like that cant just happen due to circumstance. Those wanting him gone will get their wish though because I really cant see more than 8 or so wins.
Is that fact or just your opinion because its sounds like you are saying it is fact and you do not know what our sponsors are thinking

Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
So we finish with 13 wins and come 9th with many injuries and we sack him. That would look real good to our sponsors and even a general supporter and imagine the crap we would cop in the media which sponsors don't like. General statements like that cant just happen due to circumstance. Those wanting him gone will get their wish though because I really cant see more than 8 or so wins.

When was the last time a team won 13 in an 18 team competition & missed the finals? Serious question. Cos I reckon he’s well safe if he wins 13 & we miss.

So why bring 13 wins up if you can't see more than 8 wins for the season ? just arguing for the sake of it again

Jun 14, 2015
Oslo
AFL Club
St Kilda
8 to 11 will be over the moon
It is his 6th year finals or gone
Yep. Rip the bandaid off.
Finals or bust
Spot on. He’s not being judged on 2019 alone. It’s the body of work over 6 years. If he takes us from 4 wins in 2014 to 8-11 in 2019 then he’s failed. Finals or catch you later.
When was the last time a team won 13 in an 18 team competition & missed the finals? Serious question. Cos I reckon he’s well safe if he wins 13 & we miss.

Good point. In an 18 team comp no team has ever missed finals with 13 wins. Its a strawman argument.

Yes in 2013 Essendon missed with 14 wins, but as far as I know we aren’t running a clandestine drug cheating program so that isn’t relevant to this discussion

However, in 2018 all of North, Port, Essendon and Adelaide missed with 12 wins. In 2017 Melbourne missed with 12, and in 2016 we missed with 12 wins. So it is highly likely a team will miss with 12 this year.

Missing with 13 would be an absolute freak occurrence. But if you wanted to carve a clear line in the sand, you could nuance it so say 13 wins and / or finals to make him safe. Not saying that is necessarily my bar for success for Richo, but that gives a clear demarcation and stops people arguing for the sake of it.

So 13+ wins and / or finals he is safe
12 wins and missing finals happens every year. Probably has him 50/50. 11 with injuries probably the same boat, if slightly leakier.
10 wins or below he gets the sack

That's harsh, but given it is year 6 probably fair. Would give clarity to all involved. Not sure what the triggers look like in his contract, but if they are lower than that (specifically for 2019) then IMO some very firm questions would really need to be asked of the administration.

Last edited:

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
I have it on good authority from the old bloke who walks his dog in Linton St every morning that Richo will either coach us next year or he won't....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back